Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by swervyjoe
Tell them you want what you paid for. The original turbo you bought. Anything money spent beyond that should be refunded or credited. They know you're trying to sell their product for them, right?

...but what do I know, Im just a rod burner
I fully agree, and that would be the case if it didn't damn near ruin my vacation....

Im not one to blame one issue on the other, and the truth is my vacation was laden with BS, not just related to the turbo... But like Mike said, it was all resultant of not having the time to work the bugs out... Now that could be blamed on me, that I didn't leave enough time for something to happen before vacation, but at the same damn time, had the turbo been normal, there would have been no issues at all...

Yes, I have made it clear that I wanted to become a dealer months ago.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ford white on black
Long time follower of this build, first time to become a member....these engine have come sooo far since introduced in the '80s. Very very cool!
Thanks man!

Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Here are some pics of the new snail....

Thing is huge, Im gonna have to shoehorn it in there... But I think its going to fit just fine. Im going to burn out an adapter flange and new pedestal spacer tomorrow, as well as machine the funky John Deere marmon flange off the back and TIG on a 3" V-band....

The A3K compressor housing isn't small and this is the 366 in comparison....

Name:  DSC01491_zps37275330.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  41.0 KB
Name:  DSC01493_zps2087615f.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  42.3 KB
Name:  DSC01494_zps760298dd.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  DSC01490_zpsa8bd3c7b.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 01-27-2014, 10:20 PM
0 Xero 0
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess if they're willing to rectify their mistakes and reimburse you for the time and money you have into the turbos, that would go a long way. I've always gravitated to Holset turbos though. Granted they don't share info as readily as most manufacturers, but I see them put through their paces regularly on Class 8 trucks. What are your power goals? I have an excellent turbo calculator and a plethora of compressor maps. If you'd prefer to use it yourself, I posted it in the turbo sub-forum & in the idi turbocharger thread.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 0 Xero 0
I guess if they're willing to rectify their mistakes and reimburse you for the time and money you have into the turbos, that would go a long way. I've always gravitated to Holset turbos though. Granted they don't share info as readily as most manufacturers, but I see them put through their paces regularly on Class 8 trucks. What are your power goals? I have an excellent turbo calculator and a plethora of compressor maps. If you'd prefer to use it yourself, I posted it in the turbo sub-forum & in the idi turbocharger thread.
Honestly, I am a fan of all three turbo companies.... I don't care if its Garrett, BW, or Holset, they all have proven themselves beyond needed, Garrett is the big name, they have been around forever, and are part of one of the biggest corporations in the country, you cant tell me that they don't put their resources into producing great parts. Holset is another company that sells millions of turbos, and if their product didn't perform alongside any other turbo company, they wouldn't be who they are... Borg Warner, they are another Big name, probably the biggest automotive part manufacturer there is... They also have the resources. I wouldn't hesistate to run any one of the 3, and they would all satisfy.... The reason I have chosen BW over all the rest, is the sheer affordability of performance, in a new part. New Garrett or Holset stuff just cant compete price wise, that doesn't mean they are worse. I would say that the 3 are all equal as far as performance goes, I just think BW has the edge with affordability....

As far as my power goals? My original goal was to have a hopped up IDI that could do what the modern diesels can do.... It didn't take me long to realize that I was there without even trying... Next was 300whp, NMB2 did it first with a pump that could produce, and I did it right after.... Now that we are in the position of having a DB series injection pump that can deliver 190cc's of fuel reliably (I think I can safely say I have tested this damn pump at current calibration), and my truck is fresh with a new engine, and the Airflow to make it happen, I don't think 500whp is off the table. I will say that my goal has been 400whp for a year and a half, and the whole point of doing what I have done is to get there. I will speculate that the next time the truck hits the dyno, it will be well over that, provided the uncharted territory doesn't throw some sort of unknown factor into the mix. I don't see any reason why it would though....

I can tell you right now.... Nobody wants to see this damn thing vindicate itself more than me, and I will do everything needed to make it do what it was meant to.... After that, we can go into side issues...

Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Arps 6.9
Senior User
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Here are some pics of the new snail....

Thing is huge, Im gonna have to shoehorn it in there... But I think its going to fit just fine. Im going to burn out an adapter flange and new pedestal spacer tomorrow, as well as machine the funky John Deere marmon flange off the back and TIG on a 3" V-band....
The 3" v-band would have been nice as far as a parts availability aspect. There was only one place to find that flange that turbo has, and it was $70.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im going to burn out an adapter flange and new pedestal spacer tomorrow, as well as machine the funky John Deere marmon flange off the back and TIG on a 3" V-band....
There are a lot of guys starting ot use the 366 on 7.3 Powerstrokes as well for their affordability and reliability and aside from being noisy there have been no complaints (who is really worried about that though, right!? ). They have one source that they're using for their 366 kits, but there are a couple that have built their own downpipes as well. I'm sure they could point you in the direction of the flange that you need if you would rather go that route than to cut up a brand new exhaust housing. I know if it were me, I would be worried about it cracking due to differences in the rate of thermal expansion between the housing, the welds and the V-band flange. You're no doubt more experienced in that aspect of things than I am, but that's just my thought on the matter.

Keep up the good work, man. Even some of us numb-skulled PSD guys are pulling for you!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Arps 6.9
The 3" v-band would have been nice as far as a parts availability aspect. There was only one place to find that flange that turbo has, and it was $70.
Yeah, My 362 had the same flange on it, and I was lucky when my local filter place said they had them in stock, I think they were closer to $40 or something then and there, but either way, PITA...

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
There are a lot of guys starting ot use the 366 on 7.3 Powerstrokes as well for their affordability and reliability and aside from being noisy there have been no complaints (who is really worried about that though, right!? ). They have one source that they're using for their 366 kits, but there are a couple that have built their own downpipes as well. I'm sure they could point you in the direction of the flange that you need if you would rather go that route than to cut up a brand new exhaust housing. I know if it were me, I would be worried about it cracking due to differences in the rate of thermal expansion between the housing, the welds and the V-band flange. You're no doubt more experienced in that aspect of things than I am, but that's just my thought on the matter.

Keep up the good work, man. Even some of us numb-skulled PSD guys are pulling for you!
Problem with the Marmon flange is that I don't really have the clearance to reduce down after the housing, as it is my downpipe already was slightly rubbing the firewall and required a dimple with the 259, and I welded a 3" V-band onto that. The only way I am going to get this big bitch to fit where the factory turbo normally goes is to space the hell out of everything, chop the marmon flange off and weld a new V-band on. Im not worried about cracking, some 309L tig rod will work just fine, it will look like its meant to be. Plus my DP already is setup with a 3" V-band. Thanks man!

I cant wait to get this stuff on... I scheduled in some time tonight to get my OC gaskets changed and work on getting this turbo in...

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Have you considered a body lift, I lifted mine about an inch for some clearance, and need a little more

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
300-6 AUTO TECH
Senior User
I think Bullseye should refund and reimburse for your costs such as shipping. If they don't want to satisfy the customer to the best of there ability then there's lots of companies that sell turbos. My business is not quite the same as yours, but in my experience for me parts distributers that don't have good customer service aren't worth bothering with for me. It's not worth your time and headache. I base who my accounts are with a lot on the service. A couple hassles or bad experiences and I'm going elsewhere.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:05 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 300-6 AUTO TECH
I think Bullseye should refund and reimburse for your costs such as shipping. If they don't want to satisfy the customer to the best of there ability then there's lots of companies that sell turbos. My business is not quite the same as yours, but in my experience for me parts distributers that don't have good customer service aren't worth bothering with for me. It's not worth your time and headache. I base who my accounts are with a lot on the service. A couple hassles or bad experiences and I'm going elsewhere.
Agreed, and I would think that would be doubly the case if you intend to sell their products and hope to be able to stand behind them. I would be really leery about selling those turbos if it had been me going through what you've experienced. Unless they can get back to you with some "Ahah! We found the issue" kind of response on why your turbo failed (twice) I dont't know if I would want to attach my name to selling and representing their products. I wouldn't hesitate to tell them that either. It may help persuade them to do you right. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't feel right selling something that was unproven in my own experience, or worse yet had failed me twice.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:25 PM
300-6 AUTO TECH
Senior User
Agreed, and I would think that would be doubly the case if you intend to sell their products and hope to be able to stand behind them. I would be really leery about selling those turbos if it had been me going through what you've experienced. Unless they can get back to you with some "Ahah! We found the issue" kind of response on why your turbo failed (twice) I dont't know if I would want to attach my name to selling and representing their products. I wouldn't hesitate to tell them that either. It may help persuade them to do you right. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't feel right selling something that was unproven in my own experience, or worse yet had failed me twice.
I don't engineer my own parts, but I do seek out what I believe to be the best fix upgrade or replacement. I Buy, stock, and resell products that I believe are good enough for me to stand behind and put my name on the work. There are certain things that I just don't buy or use anymore because of bad experiences or known better solution. Sometimes it's OEM products and sometimes it's aftermarket. If I get a request to install something that doesn't meet my standards I tell the customer that I won't install that product and why. Most people are happy with that and just want it fixed right even if it costs a little more. I always try to make sure I'm not selling something just because it's cheaper for the customer if it is going to come back on me. I've seen it and done it before and the happier customer is the one who gets the best you can offer them(even if it costs a little more up front) and miles of trouble free driving.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 300-6 AUTO TECH

This kinda has been the way ive started to lean since yesterday... I just kinda wanna wash my hands of the whole deal. I don't want to go out on a limb and put my name on something that has, in a lot of peoples eyes just from my experience alone, a shadow over it. I can just reinvest what I have into this turbo back into my business for something else, and work out another option for turbos. It was just too much.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:19 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
This kinda has been the way ive started to lean since yesterday... I just kinda wanna wash my hands of the whole deal. I don't want to go out on a limb and put my name on something that has, in a lot of peoples eyes just from my experience alone, a shadow over it. I can just reinvest what I have into this turbo back into my business for something else, and work out another option for turbos. It was just too much.
I don't think you'll regret that decision. I know your eye for quality and I don't think you would be happy putting your name behind something that you've had less than stellar luck with.

If you want to find something to reinvest those funds into, why not look at a bolt-on S366 kit? Given the performance of that little blower on the PSD with about the same amount of fuel as you're running, I think you're going to be really happy with it.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:47 PM
rustyescott
Freshman User
tell them to pound sand! your shop is built on your rep for quallity. you had two of their turbos go **** up, do you need a third to **** the bed on a customer's truck. link them to this thread their are alot of us following this, i for one would not run this product due to what i've seen them do to you from the start. a company is only as good as their customer service.

Quick Reply: Project: Smogie...RacinNdrummins IDI build