Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 PM
New User

stacked8769 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Transfer case engages, front driveline spins but no 4x4

So i recently had a new transfer case put in my 87 6.9 and went hunting today had to stick it in 4 hi but all i had was rear wheel spin. You can hear the transfer case engage and the hubs were locked in but no front wheel spin. Any suggestions.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Unlock your hubs and put your transfer case in gear and then see if you can turn the front drive shaft by hand. If you can then your transfer case is not actually in gear or there is a problem with it. If it won't turn by hand then put your transfer case back in two wheel drive and make sure you can turn it, then you can lock your hubs in and isolate which one is bad if they are the problem.
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM
New User

everything is good there. i was told the rear end/ whole truck was regeard but i wonder if they just did the back and left the ring gear out of the front diff
Old 11-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Jack up both front wheels, with the transfer case in nuetral or in two wheel drive, turn one wheel by hand while the hubs are locked. The other tire should turn the opposite direction. If it doesn't turn the other side at all get someone to look while you turn and make sure the axles are turning at the ujoints,If only the axle that you are turning you may have a problem in the diff, most likely the spider gears. You can also just jack up one side and turn the wheel while someone looks at the axle, it will have some resistance, but should turn, then do the other side. this will eliminate the hubs.
you can keep both halves
Old 11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
New User

alright ill try that
Old 11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Post Fiend

When you jack up one wheel at a time, it should also be turning your driveline when turning the wheel.
you can keep both halves
Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
No need to jack it up, just turn the ft driveshaft in 2wd. If the hubs are locked and ft diff is intact it wont turn. If it does turn, see which ft axle is turning... that hub isnt locked.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:34 AM