Sponsored by:

rear spare tire holder

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:22 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rear spare tire holder

my 79 came stock with the tire holder inside bolted to the pass side rear and thats fine if your running 31" tires or smaller but i have 285-16" and they dont fit what have you guys done for a spare i wish my bronco had the stock mount out side but it looks like there would have to be factory braceing inside the body so even if i found the mount i dont think i could install it any ways and i hate haveing no spare! i have a receiver hitch comming in the mail this week and was thinking of useing a double 2" receiver and makeing some sort of mount with a tilt/pin system off of that any ideas would be great!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there is anything special inside the body....just reinforcement plates that can be removed.....I would get an outside tire carrier off of one......you might also be able to modify the one you have....I have a 315-16 in my Excursion.....it's tight but I got it in there and bolted down

Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM
AzPete
Posting Guru
I have no pics of this but on my old '79 CJ5, I carried a 33" on a rack I built. It mounted in the receiver hitch. From there, a 2" square tube (1/4"wall) extended to the right. At the edge of the vehicle, I welded in a round, upright tube with a smaller tube inside to form a pivot. This allowed the tire to swing to the side for tailgate access. Then back to the center with another 2" square and then a tire rack up from there.

The tire was high enough to clear the hitch plus I could still tow as I extended the receiver part also.

Sorry if the description is hard to follow. I believe these styles might be sold also.

If you buy a factory rack from a yard, look inside the rear fender for the support system. Not sure how much it would take to get it into another without welding for support.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The inside of the passenger side rear quarter panel on Broncos that have the external spare tire carrier IS INDEED gusseted to support the carrier and additinal weight of the tire. The mounting holes are also tapped into this gusseting. So, adding an OEM-type carrier is a tedious and time-consuming option since you would need a rear quarter or need to fabricate the gussets yourself and get them in there.

Miottimouse,
Many folks have opted to go aftermarket with a bumper-mounted external carrier. 78-79's didn't have the step bumper like the 1980+ models but I imagine someone has either found or fabricated something for these model years. I'd start scouring for photos and/or links.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by greystreak92
The inside of the passenger side rear quarter panel on Broncos that have the external spare tire carrier IS INDEED gusseted to support the carrier and additinal weight of the tire. The mounting holes are also tapped into this gusseting. So, adding an OEM-type carrier is a tedious and time-consuming option since you would need a rear quarter or need to fabricate the gussets yourself and get them in there.

Miottimouse,
Many folks have opted to go aftermarket with a bumper-mounted external carrier. 78-79's didn't have the step bumper like the 1980+ models but I imagine someone has either found or fabricated something for these model years. I'd start scouring for photos and/or links.
So it is welded in ? and the internals are not there without the option ?

You could modify this
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Carg...rt/C31006.html

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miottimouse
my 79 came stock with the tire holder inside bolted to the pass side rear and thats fine if your running 31" tires or smaller but i have 285-16" and they dont fit what have you guys done for a spare i wish my bronco had the stock mount out side but it looks like there would have to be factory braceing inside the body so even if i found the mount i dont think i could install it any ways and i hate haveing no spare! i have a receiver hitch comming in the mail this week and was thinking of useing a double 2" receiver and makeing some sort of mount with a tilt/pin system off of that any ideas would be great!
Fold the rear seat up, put the spare flat on the floor, Next please.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by g_k50
Fold the rear seat up, put the spare flat on the floor, Next please.
No thanks, I don't want to be in there with a loose 285 in a crash

Old 11-14-2011, 03:34 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
thats what i thought the stocker was out of the ? unless it came factory that way so i think some fabbing is in order azpete thats the same idea i was thinking about i my hitch should be here this week so i will order a double tube also and go from there and putting the tire on the floor isnt going to happen cause if the roll over dosnt kill you that tire will
and its not like theres a lot of room for any thing else any ways and if some one needs a stock carrier........ thanks guys

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Pat Kolb
Junior User
i wish my truck had the inside carrier the spare interferres with the jack on my boat trailer so i just take it off when i am towing the boat

Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 PM
graflexmaster
Freshman User
I have a external/outside tyre carrier I picked up and never used..... so if anyone wants/needs it...... call me at 509-258-9383 and we'll work something out

Michael

Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
well i got my receiver hitch and installed it yesterday [boy are they fun with the gas tank so close to the frame] njneer1 i checked your link thats where i bought my hitch from and sent an email for that carrier [sizes, ect] i see they also have a double receiver tube i may get that and get a welder to custom make one for me with some sort of tilt or swing system to get that tire out of the way to access the back area as it looks like their carrier has an angle on top where the tire bolts on thanks for your help guys regurds joe

Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM
njneer1
Posting Guru

Glad you found something you can work with !

Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Rayzors250
Junior User
So some Broncos came with a inside tire mount stock? I am wanting to do that and ditch the outside spare mount on my 82. It rattles so bad, it sounds like the back of the bronco is going to fall off.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:53 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the carrier I fabbed up for mine. The 37" tire was just to big to lift up on the old mount.

If you would like to include a photo from your albums in a posting the message boards, copy the HTML code below and paste it in your message. Code for both thumbnail and full size images are shown below. Full Size Image

Click to auto-insert

Thumbnail Image

Click to auto-insert

If you would like to include a photo from your albums in a posting the message boards, copy the HTML code below and paste it in your message. Code for both thumbnail and full size images are shown below. Full Size Image

Click to auto-insert

Thumbnail Image

Click to auto-insert

Click to auto-insert

Thumbnail Image

Click to auto-insert

Old 12-11-2011, 06:13 AM
miottimouse
Posting Guru
thanks ken thats what i was thinking looks like that would work good i see you have pins to lock in the up right position is it an easy lift? or fairly heavy?

Quick Reply: rear spare tire holder