1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Batteries act dead, but show 12.2v, won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Batteries.

Pop

Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pop. The small shop I bought the truck from is reputable, they sell Interstate batteries.

In your estimation, should I stick with Interstate( that's what's in it), or go with something else from Napa, Auto Zone, etc.???

Sam's club has batteries, but I don't know what brand they are. Try it or stay away?

Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TC-PStroke
Thanks Pop. The small shop I bought the truck from is reputable, they sell Interstate batteries.

In your estimation, should I stick with Interstate( that's what's in it), or go with something else from Napa, Auto Zone, etc.???

Sam's club has batteries, but I don't know what brand they are. Try it or stay away?
I have had very good luck with Interstate batteries.From my DD to my old service truck they hold up very good,Your's are 5yrs old.Most batteries life is 5yrs.

I had interstate in my old 65 f-100 that I kept a float charge on a then drove it a few times a year that battery lasted 10yrs.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Float chargers drastically increase the useful life of a flooded lead-acid battery.

Ford Motorcraft batteries are made by Johnson Controls, who makes a LOT of aftermarket batteries.

I have Costco's Kirkland batteries in mine now, also made by Johnson, and I believe they also make them for WalMart, thus Sam's.

Some folks swear by their Interstates, but Johnson Controls makes a lot of batteries for them, too.

I really don't think that there are many really superior-made batteries. (There are some pricy exceptions, however).

It's almost ALL in how you care for them. If you just slap 'em in and go, you get what you get.

Pop

Old 11-13-2011, 12:46 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
My bet is bad battery, one or both. There is a bad cell somewhere. A battery at 12.2 V is essentially dead. You need to load test them. You might try disconnecting one battery and start it on the other, that way if only one is bad it won't be dragging down the other.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I was told by my company Interstate rep that the batteries from Sam's were produced exclusively for them. He said that they were not part of the nationwide warranty program and had to be returned back to Sam's. When mine needed warranty, I chose to get replacements elsewhere.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
I got 8 years out of the factory batteries in my truck. I replaced then with Kirkland batteries from Costco. (costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls ) I would have put motorcraft back in it, except Local Ford dealer stopped selling 850 cold cranking they only sell 800. I saw Pop's write up on Kirkland at Costco, so thats what I got. So far so good. I hope to get 7 or 8 years out of these. Just have to do proper maintenance on them , Good connections, good alternator and proper charge. If I don't drive for a week or so I put a bettery tender on them, always have, seems to work for me.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:00 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by mueckster
I was told by my company Interstate rep that the batteries from Sam's were produced exclusively for them. He said that they were not part of the nationwide warranty program and had to be returned back to Sam's. When mine warranty, I chose to get replacements elsewhere.
However, there are WalMarts almost everywhere.

If I were on the road a lot, that's where I would get mine.

A warranty adjustment house in every town in America, almost.

Pop

Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
I got 8 years out of the factory batteries in my truck. I replaced then with Kirkland batteries from Costco. (costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls ) I would have put motorcraft back in it, except Local Ford dealer stopped selling 850 cold cranking they only sell 800. I saw Pop's write up on Kirkland at Costco, so thats what I got. So far so good. I hope to get 7 or 8 years out of these. Just have to do proper maintenance on them , Good connections, good alternator and proper charge. If I don't drive for a week or so I put a bettery tender on them, always have, seams to work for me.
That tender will go a LONG way toward maintaining their longevity!

Checking the electrolyte levels on occasion will, too!

But Bob already knows that. He has the results to prove it!

Pop

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
However, there are WalMarts almost everywhere.

If I were on the road a lot, that's where I would get mine.

A warranty adjustment house in every town in America, almost.

Pop
Sam's Club carry the Interstates, Walmarts don't. Limited resources and lack of confidence in their product prevent me from using their "house brand" again.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Sam's has "their" version of the Interstates. Black top, not green. Bad experience has lead me to seek elsewhere.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Thanks for the help guys. I have it on a charger now. After 1/2 hour, the crazy bells, chimes, dash lights, and radio have quit cycling like it is/was possessed.

At twelve amps charge how long before it'll try and turn over, and best guesses? Should I just leave it charging all night and through tomorrow?

I still find it terribly ironic that this occurred right after I had the console torn out, and without an warning signs. I was sure I FUBAR'd something under there..... I shouldn't speak too soon, I still may have!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Farmboypowerstroke
Elder User
Don't mean to hi jack thread, but
I checked my battery volts on the scan gauge and it showed 12.2 when the glow plugs kicked out, with the glow plugs on it showed 11.6 while cranking it goes to 10.
Does that all sound normal?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 PM
TC-PStroke
Junior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
Batteries.

Pop
4 hours on a 12 amp charger and it fired right up!

Seriously, what are the chances the battery dies the day after I'm fooling around under the dashboard????? What really threw me was all the crazy possessed cycling of lights, bells, and whistles.

In looking at batteries, there seems to be a lot of support for this one:

Odyssey 65-PC1750T Group 65 Automotive AGM Battery

Pricey. Do you suppose it's worth it?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
my vote-buy two new Walmart MAX batteries group 65
I have had good luck with them!

Quick Reply: Batteries act dead, but show 12.2v, won't start?