Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Senior User

URDADDY is starting off with a positive reputation.
block heater

I have a 2005 F250 King Ranch FX4 with the 6.0L of course. What Im wondering is what does it take to add a block heater? I just hate the way it sounds starting cold plus it takes forever to warm up and melt the ice and snow away.
Thanks for any information.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 AM
Junior User

Stu206 is starting off with a positive reputation.
On a Block Heater for the 6.0L, should be one in it already. You will just have to get the cord from Napa cost around $ 20.00 then plug cord into block and then run your cord to front or rear of truck. Of course you can buy same cord from Ford for around $ 100.00. Check here for older posts on Block hearter cords etc, they will have the part # and location of where to put it all. I did mine this way back in early 06.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Senior User

ul37 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ul37
Block heater is located above the starter.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Junior User

zhigaag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Part number for wiring harness from Ford is 5c3z-6b018-da. Runs about $80 from parts guy ed (plus shipping). Heres the link for the install:

DTS Articles - 6.0L Block Heater Cord Location and Routing

Pretty straight forward stuff.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Junior User

spocky1187 is starting off with a positive reputation.
From what I understand all 6.0 PSD were shipped with block heater element installed, however the trucks shipped to warmer states(i.e Florida, Arizona) were not shipped with the chord. If you reach in by the passenger side tow hook and feel around there might already be a chord. If not you can buy the chord from your local International dealer for around $30. If you need the part number let me know I can give it to you.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Senior User

draboo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
03 Lariet Crewcab

New to the forum and to Fords.( Couldnt find an introduction thread..

Looking for something to tow our 16 foot utility trailer and went a bit overboard! We just picked this up yesterday with 133K on the clock.Spotless CARFAX. Really great condition. Was a bit skeptical because of the 6.0 reputation..

It will be a daily driver, so I figgered this forum would be a great place to find some info,tweaks n tricks/ins and outs of this machine. We are planning a trip from Seattle to Michigan next week, so the excitement is mounting!

I read about the block heater being installed already..GREAT NEWS! I ll have to go in search of it! Where we are heading (the Upper Peninsula of MI) it gets a bit nippy at night.

Anyway...Thanks to the creators of this forum and be prepared to hear from a uneducated Ford owner who will be full of newbie questions!

Brad/Mount Vernon,WA

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post

Looking for something to tow our 16 foot utility trailer and went a bit overboard! We just picked this up yesterday with 133K on the clock.Spotless CARFAX. Really great condition. Was a bit skeptical because of the 6.0 reputation..

It will be a daily driver, so I figgered this forum would be a great place to find some info,tweaks n tricks/ins and outs of this machine. We are planning a trip from Seattle to Michigan next week, so the excitement is mounting!

I read about the block heater being installed already..GREAT NEWS! I ll have to go in search of it! Where we are heading (the Upper Peninsula of MI) it gets a bit nippy at night.

Anyway...Thanks to the creators of this forum and be prepared to hear from a uneducated Ford owner who will be full of newbie questions!

Brad/Mount Vernon,WA

Welcome!

When you goto look for the cord, look twice or three times! It took me three times to find mine cause it had never been used. They snug that sucker up there tight, and in the dark.

You might get lucky and have a brand new cord in there.

2004 Late Build CC LB 4x4 6.0L

"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 11-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Postmaster

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Quote:

I read about the block heater being installed already..GREAT NEWS! I ll have to go in search of it! Where we are heading (the Upper Peninsula of MI) it geta bit nippy at night.

Brad/Mount Vernon,WA

Hey brad! From the 6.0 main page, just above the list of threads on the left hand side is a button that says " new thread". Just click there, give it a name, and start posting! Nice looking truck, and welcome to FTE!
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. CAT ELC. DashBoss.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Senior User

draboo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
FOUND IT!! First I made sure a cord was there by crawling underneath and seeing the heater cord coming off the heater (almost directly above the starter) and disappearing into ??.

if you look in the hole for the passenger side front tow hook, and feel around in the right side of the hole, you should feel some wiring in some plastic corrogated "conduit". There was an extra wire zip tied to the conduit with a plug with a cap on it. Cut the zip tie and it will stick out a few inches out of the tow hook hole.

Good news for us, since Upper Michigan gets down in the 20's F at night.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by spocky1187 View Post
From what I understand all 6.0 PSD were shipped with block heater element installed, however the trucks shipped to warmer states(i.e Florida, Arizona) were not shipped with the chord.
Pretty much all of the early trucks had the cords regardless of where they were shipped. It started with the '05 models Ford limited which trucks automatically got the cords. You could specify it if you ordered the truck from KTP. All 6.0L...along with 7.3L & 6.4L have block heater elements; that's how Navistar built the engine.
Quote:
If not you can buy the chord from your local International dealer for around $30. If you need the part number let me know I can give it to you.
Here are the only part numbers I know of that are the direct replacement of the OEM block heater cord.

Navistar 1686485C91
Ford 4C4O6B018AA

Personally speaking, I wouldn't put the China crap ones from Oreilly's or fleabay on my truck. If it's made by the original manufacturer, it should have "Canada" molded into the plug on the bumper end of the cord. But to each their own.
Quote:

Welcome to FTE, just as a suggestion...you might think about joining your state's FTE chapter, just scroll down until you find your state.

Regional Chapters - Ford Truck Enthusiasts ForumsYou might find there is someone near you that's got a similar truck and can help you out if you have questions on how to fix something. And if the day comes, they might also have the experience to help you with a repair (it's how I learned how to change my injectors). These trucks will make an amazing amount of power...and do it for a long time as long as you take care of 'em. You can't treat them like a diesel of old. Between searching the 6.0L forum and posting questions, I'm sure you'll find everything you might have question about on the 6.0L. Don't let anyone convince you any other way, these are great engines.There
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 11-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Junior User

jay28660 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason Bartrum Turbojay83
International webdite

I am missing my Block heater plug also. Does international have a website to help me locate the closest place to get one?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Postmaster

zhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to allzhilton is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay28660 View Post
I am missing my Block heater plug also. Does international have a website to help me locate the closest place to get one?
Yes, try this link:

International Truck and Engine Corporation

Or you can get in touch with Ed at www.partsguyed.com
2004 F250 6.0L 2WD CC "Pavement Princess"
2007 Monaco Starwood SL 31BHD
2012 Focus SEL (Wife's ride)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
Junior User

jay28660 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jason Bartrum Turbojay83
Quote:
From what I understand all 6.0 PSD were shipped with block heater element installed, however the trucks shipped to warmer states(i.e Florida, Arizona) were not shipped with the chord. If you reach in by the passenger side tow hook and feel around there might already be a chord. If not you can buy the chord from your local International dealer for around $30. If you need the part number let me know I can give it to you.
I just called my local international dealer and he wants $96.91 for it.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Go to ebay!! LOTS cheaper

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 11-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1957, 2004, 2005, 60, 60l, block, cost, diesel, f100, ford, fuse, heater, king, ranch, run