1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

One thing leads to another

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
My wife is very anti used car, she gets it from her parents. None of them can understand why someone would want to drive some one elses problems. They absolutely cannot understand the old car hobby at all, to them it's just old used cars. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to apease my wife's car requirements like her parents do. I also don't have a lot of time to buy a fixer upper car and make it run. I also do not know a lot about modern drive trains especially tranmissions and engines. I can get them running but it sure seems to take a long time.
Hey Bob...maybe Mommy and Daddy need to step up and buy their daughter a NEW CAR then...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealer in pana offered me 500 for my bird when i was looking at two 05-09 gt's there . told him i was not trading it in , but he made the mistake of p!$$!^g me off with that and i left despite wanting to make a deal on one of the gt's . i talked to several dealers and i cannot order a new gt or a pickup like i want like in the old days . i have to take all the fancy shmancy stuff i don't need or want , so therefore the thought of a new vehicle for me is gone . they aren't getting my cash . if a used one has that stuff on it fine as i didn't buy it new and order the stuff and i can delete it if it so pleases me . why oh why they have decided they should tell me and other consumers what we are going to buy and peeps do , i don't understand .i recently "admonished" a salesman from a korean car co. here in town for going on tv and proclaiming all used cars as gas guzzlers unfit to be on the road , and told him what i tell every one 'bout the bird , and i told him if any of my children or wife bring one of them home it'll come back to his lot in fn pieces and where i would put it .i hate car salesmen and they bull they spread to get peeps to buy ! like i told some peeps " i'll be driving my gas guzzling old car and keep the payment in my pocket while you can't afford too due to the payment and gas prices as you can't afford both !"

Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been had by car salesmen a few times in my life and this is probably what cemented my distrust in them down to this day. In my teens during the 1960's is was quite common to check for sawdust in the trannys and rearends or a crankcase full of STP. Warrantys were only as good as the paper they were written on. A fast talking salesman could really suck you in good. I had a few that made it off the lot then commenced to disintegrate as they went down the road.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
sawdust in the diff ............ are we showing the age or what ? LOL !!!!!! have seen that one a couple of times .

Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Well, I saw the taillights of the Monte heading down the road yesterday. I had one last problem with the car, just before the guy and his son came for it I pulled it out of my shop and the ABS started acting up again. I thought I had the problem solved but maybe because it sat outside for two months without being driven something decided not to work again. Anyways, I knocked another $100 of the price, sold it for $1000. I had over $600 in front end parts and $150 in the trunk with a new gas tank and filler tube. I didn't make out when you figure it had almost new tires and all the time I stuck into it. The buyer wanted to know if I would fix the ABS, he said he'd pay me. I told him I didn't want to look at the car any longer since finding the rust out in the rear fender well last Saturday, I just wanted it gone, away, bye-bye.

Now for car dealers, I've had my share of seedy car dealers. Once while my wife and I were looking for a truck the dealer we were talking to came back in after looking at my trade in and started knick picking every ding and scratch. Another time while looking for a car for my wife, eventually buying the Monte, another dealer did the same thing. Don't these idiots realize some people grow attached to their cars and even if you're trading it in you still don't like someone picking out all the flaws? I understand they need to point out stuff to bring the value down but I've encountered some really rude salesmen. It only served to p*** me off and walking out.

At the same dealer that was criticizing my truck trade in the salesman at the next desk was trying to sell a car to a college aged girl. The girl made the big mistake of telling the salesman what size monthly payments she could afford. "No problem, we can work that." and proceeded to try to talk her into a six year loan on a low line car. The other tactic I really like is when you make an offer and the salesman has to talk to his manager then proceeds to walk back and forth really trying to work with you. Yeah, right, more like he and his boss talk about the previous night's sport score for five minutes before he walks back and tells you he's done the best he can. Another trick I've encountered is the salesman will place you in the back of his cubical, with him sitting between me and the exit, so you can't easily leave.

When I walk into a dealership I do my research on the price of the car, set a price and tell the dealer to give me his best offer the first time. I will not tolerate the back and forth crap. One thing about not having money for another car right now is I don't have to endure salesmen and their games.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
i had the best time with two of my cars . 1 with the ex and my mustang gt 'vert which went bye bye in the divorce . the saturn i walked in and she picked out the one she wanted , and when he was thinking he had us hooked , he said how much can you afford a month . i said i'm buying it outright . same thing with the 95 gt 'vert . the looks on their faces when they couldn't pull their crap was priceless ....................

Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There was a Ford dealer here that had a game of hiding the keys to the your potential trade-in car so you couldn't leave, while they tried to wear you down. They did it to an old lady who needed her medication, and whose son was a high-level cop. The fallout from that trick was so severe the dealership was sold a couple months later. The Toyota dealer tried to pull that crap on me and my ex (I didn't want a Toyota, she did), all it took was pulling out my cell phone and the keys "magically" re-appeared.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Why does the car salesmen profession get a bad reputation?!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I saw two car salesman get into a fight in the back lot of a big dealership in Lexington once. Luckily, I wasn't the customer they were fighting over, but, if I had been that particular customer, I would have walked away and told both of them where to stick the car. There's nothing civilized about that business. And nothing boils my blood more than for me to ask a car salesman what is the bottom-dollar price of a vehicle and he or she reply with the typical "Well, how much do you want your payment per month?". I don't play their nonsense games.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep put them , attorneys for the most part , and doctors and politicians on an deserted island and let 'em screw over each other to death ............. if that's feasible ............ they used to work on sundays here , as that's the day most folks would go looking at cars , but once the public figured out the pool had sharks in it they quit going to them ............... so they don't no more leaving you free to look without some jerk trying to stick it in ya while taking a bite outta your wallet ..................... and bob i'm sorry , yeah the wife has gotten 3 in a row here , but they have all been low mileage trade ins even though i call them new , as they are too us , less than a year old . i won't pay full price for a new turd and lose my **** the minute it hit's a public roadway ever again . both the oldest girls have learned about that too after getting a reaming from dealerships . now they do the same as i ..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 55 f350
yep put them , attorneys for the most part , and doctors and politicians on an deserted island and let 'em screw over each other to death .............
Oh really?! It's nice to know that you put us into the same category as the other three.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Whew... thankfully insurance company employees were left out of that list.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I've known a couple of people who were new car salesman, not for long though. It's a very competitive line of work. You can make huge model but you can also work long crappy hours and starve. The people I knew starved and went on to other vocations.

I like it when you go into a dealership and you see one or two salesmen notice you and make a bee line toward you. At first they treat you like you're their best friend until you tell them you're just looking. Then it's "OH, OK, um just come and get me if you want anything". I would like it a lot better if they'd just leave you a lone for a few minutes to just look around and not try to pressure you in the first two minutes you're on their lot.

Now that I'll be in the market for another car I guess I'll have to endure the salesmen again. Maybe once we figure out our finances I might get lucky finding a decent car being sold by a private party. I'll start putting the word out to acquaintances that I'm looking for a car.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Come on, doctors are there to help us, now insurance guy......

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
I saw two car salesman get into a fight in the back lot of a big dealership in Lexington once.
I think I heard about that. I thought it was an urban legend.

Quick Reply: One thing leads to another