Best Aftermarket Electronic Brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Paul2020
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Aftermarket Electronic Brand

I have an 1988 E-150 conversion van. After a lot of in-depth reading the last couple days I've found out there was a major problem with the distributer mounted TFI (Thick Foil Ignition) that would randomly cause a vehicle to stop running or otherwise mis-fire and act up. It has been traced down to a known problem with the TFI put in about 20 million Ford cars and trucks. When it gets too hot it sometimes fails.

I think that is my problem and looking for a good replacement. Some say to go only with Motocraft since there is such a critical problem here with heat that can leave you stranded.

The problem is that these are not cheap. Retail is about $200, although I've found some for less they are still pricey. I am looking for a workable alternative, at least in the short term, with a good, reliable aftermarket brand.

What is the most reliable brand name next to Motocraft in electronics? Especially given this heat problem, what brand would be the most likely to have good engineering to guard against this problem? When I talked to one parts man today, he told me that the brand - "Standard" - was good quality and that it had a silicone packet to spread on to help guard against the high heat to keep if from failing.

Another store I spoke to told me about another one that was supposed to be very reliable, and had a life-time warranty. (Of course with this problem, and with the lack of error codes when it fails, it would be hard to prove if you still had problems I think, after the first or second warranty claim they would likely just want to give you your money back without proof).

Here are a couple links that show how hard it is to verify that this is the problem:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...stributor.html

Ford Ranger/Bronco II TFI Ignition Diagnostics

Anyway, I'd like to try putting in a good unit that I have confidence in at a reasonable price. And looking for a good brand that will "beat the heat". I've heard in the past that Bosch was quite good. I don't know about now though.

Any experience you can share with me will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

Old 11-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
All of them should come with heat sink compound. It's a zinc based grease, not die-electric or anything else although it's called all kinds of different wrong names. It's usually white also.

As far as brand, I would buy from a store that is easy to find and has a good warranty. The longer it runs, the better the chances are you got a good one. If you buy some brand that is only available on the internet in your area, and have trouble with it and need a warranty or need a new one right away, your in trouble.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Paul2020
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good point!

After watching this video I decided to go with Duralast from Autozone, manufactured by Wells.

Ignition Control Modules ICM by Wells featuring Sgt. Tech - YouTube

Thanks!

Paul

Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If heat alone is the issue using the recommended heat sink compound would be vital to longevity of this module regardless the brand-----assuming its a good quality name in the first place. I'm wondering if a TSB has been issued detailing the best method by which to install the TFI utilizing the heat sink compound?

IF you'd like to stay with OEM Ed The Parts Guy advertises here on FTE and offer appreciable discounts from MSRP. I've used them several times and saved considerable dollars on some items. NAPA's best line of ignition parts also have a great reputation but you have to specify the better or gold line when ordering.

Hope this easily and inexpensively fixed-----$200 a pop for something known to have issues would trouble me too.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,673 Likes on 1,352 Posts
I'm wondering if a TSB has been issued detailing the best method by which to install the TFI utilizing the heat sink compound?
Using the heat sink compound is nothing new, it's standard procedure and new modules come with a packet of it.