Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer jumping around at 55mph or more

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 PM
srsparky32
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
speedometer jumping around at 55mph or more

i replaced the VSS recently to solve a transmission problem i was having and now the speedo is jumping around at speeds greater than 55mph. it just moves back and forth a little bit. is there any cheap/free way to do a DIY fix on it?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish I knew!! Mine was doing the same thing and throwing the code for the VSS,so I replacd it with a cheap one from the parts store,still did it,replaced that one with a motorcraft one,still does it,so I don't know the answer but I would LOVE to get it fixed!!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The "PSOM" (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module) might be causing it, shift problems usually present with it though.

Its occurring at speeds of 55mph and higher might be beyond point effecting trans function.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
srsparky32
Senior User
Originally Posted by danr1
The "PSOM" (Programmable Speedometer Odometer Module) might be causing it, shift problems usually present with it though.

Its occurring at speeds of 55mph and higher might be beyond point effecting trans function.
nah, no transmission issues here just a goofy speedometer. its completely solid at speeds less than 55mph.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Nate414
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having the same problem on my 97 f250 with e4od replaced my vss and still nothing got a new cluster from the junk yard and fixed my hard shifting problem completely but now my speedo jumps around alot like 30 mph at anything over 25mph so i dont know if the cluster i happen to get had a bad speedo in it or if its something else but the new cluster definitely helped my hardshifting problem.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
I had this happen this summer as well. I used an aftermarket from O'Reilly. It jumped all over the place (like 20 mph +/-) above 55. Cruise Control relied on it so I couldn't use cruise. I put the old one back in (it was flakey but more stable than new one). I got a new one from Ford directly. It moves a little bit (maybe 1 mph), but is pretty stable. The one from O'Reilly was a Borg Warner and looked identical to the one from Ford. The guy from O'Reilly argued with me about it saying it was "OEM Spec." The new ones are different from the original. Ford changed the design a while back is what I was told from Ford.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have to have a certain gap between the sensor and the tone ring in the rear diff. Searching should find all the info. If I wasn't on my phone id find all the info.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM
raptor1971
Senior User
My was doing it also. I put a new one in from Autozone and it got worst.
I put the old one in and unhooked the rear abs black box behind the glove compartment and it fixed it. You will not have abs. It not the right way to fix it, but I do not care on my truck.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Jlynch2011
Freshman User
I had the same problem as the OP. What fixed my problem was disconnecting the RABS Module that's located behind the glove box in my 1996 F150. imgur: the simple image sharer The yellow circles are what I disconnected.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
I'm not sure rear abs makes a huge difference anyway since most of the stopping power is in front anyway.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Cheggie
Elder User
I fixed this issue on my 95 - I bought a new upgraded PSOM that has a more permissive program to eliminate the waver you describe. If this problem gets bad enough, it can cause a stall, believe it or not. I think it stems from the rear axle carrier developing play over the life of the truck. I think the waver in the speedo needle is the VSS picking up this excess play in the differential. When I'd put the truck in reverse (manual) and begin to back up, it would stall. Unplugging the vss eliminated the stall - because it disabled the PSOM. On this series of truck, the PSOM can cut back the fuel injector function if it detects excess speed - over 120 mph or so. I think for a brief moment, the carrier shifting causes the PSOM to think just that. It's so fast that the needle doesn't have time to jump, but it will stall the truck.
To bring the story to a close, after replacing the PSOM the stall was eliminated, and the needle waver was too. I plan to investigate the differential play - I'm now approaching 185k.

I will try to post the company info - I think the exchange upgraded (and odometer mileage corrected) PSOM was about $150. I had to have it to fix the stall issue. You may find one in the salvage yard cheaper, but your mileage will not be correct, and it may have the same issue.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by msmenne17
I'm not sure rear abs makes a huge difference anyway since most of the stopping power is in front anyway.
RABS keeps the back end from coming around on you in hard braking situations on slick surfaces. But, since the front brakes are non-antilock, you still have to release the brake pedal when the front wheels lock to maintain steering.

Most of the time it's not an issue, but it makes a huge difference when somebody cuts you off on an icy road right before a stoplight. I've had that happen...

Jason

Old 11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
msmenne17
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Cheggie
I fixed this issue on my 95 - I bought a new upgraded PSOM that has a more permissive program to eliminate the waver you describe. If this problem gets bad enough, it can cause a stall, believe it or not. I think it stems from the rear axle carrier developing play over the life of the truck. I think the waver in the speedo needle is the VSS picking up this excess play in the differential. When I'd put the truck in reverse (manual) and begin to back up, it would stall. Unplugging the vss eliminated the stall - because it disabled the PSOM. On this series of truck, the PSOM can cut back the fuel injector function if it detects excess speed - over 120 mph or so. I think for a brief moment, the carrier shifting causes the PSOM to think just that. It's so fast that the needle doesn't have time to jump, but it will stall the truck.
To bring the story to a close, after replacing the PSOM the stall was eliminated, and the needle waver was too. I plan to investigate the differential play - I'm now approaching 185k.

I will try to post the company info - I think the exchange upgraded (and odometer mileage corrected) PSOM was about $150. I had to have it to fix the stall issue. You may find one in the salvage yard cheaper, but your mileage will not be correct, and it may have the same issue.
When my old VSS started failing my truck would die suddenly. The Speedo and tach would go to zero then restart about a second later. It would do it at highway speeds. Very annoying. I thought it was the CPS, so I swapped it out on our way to the Black Hills in SD. I had a spare with just in case. Even after I swapped the CPS, it still did it. Replaced the VSS because of transmission issues and it hasn't done it since. Transmission issues still exist, but the stalling and cutting out on the highway has quit. A bad VSS can affect the transmission. The computer reads the VSS and sends info to the transmission based on it.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM
eaglefire21
New User
tone ring

the tone ring in rear end is warped, they are sensitive to heat. towing, old oil, age can warp the ring.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:40 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jlynch2011
I had the same problem as the OP. What fixed my problem was disconnecting the RABS Module that's located behind the glove box in my 1996 F150. imgur: the simple image sharer The yellow circles are what I disconnected.
Yup, disconnected mine too. I traced the circuits out and was getting good raw input to the PSOM from the VSS, but the PSOM output signal was all f'd up til I disconnected the RABS controller. Junkyard unit did the same thing. Didn't see anything wrong with the PCB inside either one so I junked 'em both.

Quick Reply: speedometer jumping around at 55mph or more