GoodRide Trailer Tires???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So IF ALL Trailer tires are made in China then why spend top $$ on them?? why not get the cheapest one in the proper load range and run them?

Supercab...
If you have a travel trailer/fifth wheel and one of the tires blows at speed, you would regret having the 'cheapest' tire available. The damage repair cost itself would justify getting the best tire you can find. If you have an equioment trailer and the only damage would be a bent fender, maybe it is worth the gamble. Having said that, seems like sometimes the good tires are blowing also. Having good tires, correct pressure and lots of extra weight capacity to me is the best insurance...

Joe

Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM
PartsPaul62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with what Mud Doc had to say about buying the best tires available. I haul a triple axle freight trailer that uses up tires on a regular basis. I've run everything from High Runs to Goodyears and it seems the more I pay for a tire the longer it lasts. Certainly something to be said about paying for good quality.
I currently have a mix of Goodyears and Carlisles on the trailer and they seem to be the two best that I have dealt with.
I will also vouch for the damage done when a tire blows out on a camper. They usually rip the side of the trailer up pretty nasty and you had better have good trailer insurance to pay for repairs.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
OK, How to trailer manufacturers get away with installing tires that aren't able to handle the load weight that THEY say the trailer can carry? I would think LAW SUITE for damage or injury.....

The TT we are buying will have ST22575R15LRD tires on it which are rated at 2540# each for a total of 10,160#

The trailer is said to be 8660# empty, BUT CAN be loaded up to 11,217# max-which is over 1000# over what the "D" rated tires are rated for.

The "E" rated tires are rated at 2830# each, 11,329# total, which when you look at it really isn't much of a buffer IF you really loaded it all up.

How do the manufacturers get away with legally????

Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by Supercab
OK, How to trailer manufacturers get away with installing tires that aren't able to handle the load weight that THEY say the trailer can carry? I would think LAW SUITE for damage or injury.....

The TT we are buying will have ST22575R15LRD tires on it which are rated at 2540# each for a total of 10,160#

The trailer is said to be 8660# empty, BUT CAN be loaded up to 11,217# max-which is over 1000# over what the "D" rated tires are rated for.

The "E" rated tires are rated at 2830# each, 11,329# total, which when you look at it really isn't much of a buffer IF you really loaded it all up.

How do the manufacturers get away with legally????
The specifics are that the extra 1100#'s is on the tongue of the trailer. The truck carries that weight so the manufactures can get away with using barely adequate running gear. I would check to see what axles are under that trailer too. Hopefully they are bigger than 5000# axles but it would not surprise me. I just changed my 2 3500# axles for bigger ones on my brand new, not entry level trailer that has a GVWR of 7900#'s. It ticks me off that my truck has multiple safety features (mandated by governments) that I have no choice but to pay for but the trailer industry can get by with zero safety margins.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If anyone is buying an rv unit that has tires that they don't like, that is an immediate negotiating point--wrong tires, no deal--it's that simple. Spend some time on the rv forums and you can see how many get that done by just walking toward the door.
Joe

Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
If anyone is buying an rv unit that has tires that they don't like, that is an immediate negotiating point--wrong tires, no deal--it's that simple. Spend some time on the rv forums and you can see how many get that done by just walking toward the door.
Joe
Great advice

Old 11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

I tried that-no go-they said the factory doesn't carry the "E" rated ST22575R15 tires.
They are "trying" to discontinue the model that we want-we are kind of forcing them to build it for us-I am going to bide my time until we take delivery THEN let the factory have an earfull-probably won't get anywhere-but we really want this unit and there is nothing in a TT that can compaire.

2012 Forest River Sierra 323FK - Travel Trailer - RV Sales, RV Inventory, Massachusetts, Rhode Island RV Dealer, New Hampshire, CT

Execpt we ARE getting aluminum wheels!! we are ordering a brand spanking new one from a wholesaler in Ohio!

I'll probably remove the "D" rated tires when we get home, sell them on Craigslist, then buy the "E" rated ones.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 AM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remember there is a big difference between a name brand tire, like the Goodyear Marathon, that's made at a Goodyear owned factory in China and the Chinese made tire, with its own made up name, most often made in a government owned sweat shop of a factory.

Anyone know if Denmans are still made stateside? mine were put on in 2000 and still don't show dry rot.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Cougar, Regardless of what your tires look like I'd replace them before you tow anouther mile.
They are not time bombs ready to blow at any time-I'm surprised to hear that ANY tires made it this long.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
I'm not surprised. Not at all. I have some of the newer tires of the 20 families in our group. The only two blow outs in our group in my lifetime were on newer campers that came factory equipped with garbage Chinese tires. One poor guy had multiple failures.

I inspect my tires every trip and keep them propery inflated, and out of the sun when stored.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:33 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
i run the goodrides on my 7x14 enclosed work trailer. so does my father in law.

I would not run them on my 5th wheel. I run LT tires with highway tread on them.

The goodrides are cheap and seem to hold up decent. But hey for $85/piece mounted I can go through 2 of them before I could pay for ONE goodyear marathon.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

AFIK GOODYEAR MARATHONS ARE NOT MADE IN ST22575R15E (load range E)
I'd lean towards these IF THEY WERE!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Toyhauler Tug
Senior User
Very hard to find USA made trailer tires. If you have to use chinese maypops, keep an excellent watch on tire pressures and bulges, cracks or anything that doesn't look right. DO NOT USE LT TIRES ON A MULTIPLE AXLE TRAILER!!! Side wall construction is very different. Sharp turns tweak the sidewall on a multiple axle trailer. Go with a higher load range if you can. let's hope one day if we haulers keep the pressure on, we can bring this very important product back to the USA. Buy American whenever possible!!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
X2 on Maxxis.. The have a real good following. Maxxis are rated for 80 PSI Max, but your wheels could be rated for 75 PSI Max. I run my 225/75/15E's at 72 PSI. Never a problem in about 15000 miles so far.

"I ASK AGAIN: CAN anyone put their hands or eyes on a USA made ST22575R15LRE Trailer tire for me??"

To my knowledge there are none.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Even the Maxxis is made overseas???

Quick Reply: GoodRide Trailer Tires???