1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

First look!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Col Flashman
I've never cared for the possibility of having Vital Systems being Snagged on something & Torn Off or the Oil Pan punctured, as I'm driving around because it's so low to the ground.
It is on air bags so it will obviously be raised for regular driving and only lowered that much for show.

Unless your truck is 4x4 you may as well lower it as it is pretty much useless as a truck anyway . My 59 is going to be lowered and fast, if it were a 4x4 it would be lifted and torquey.

Love what you've done with the truck H_A_S_R, cant wait to see your build progress

Scott

Old 11-17-2011, 09:06 AM
1960fordf350
More Turbo
I've got a motor for that. How about a 57 Lincoln 368. Looks just like a 292, but its the original big block.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:43 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1960fordf350
I've got a motor for that. How about a 57 Lincoln 368. Looks just like a 292, but its the original big block.

That'd be a great motor for something, but not this build. I'll post pics of how well the 4.6 DOHC fills the engine bay. It's awesome!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by H_A_S_R
I bought an EVTM manual from Helms for my wiring. It looks like it's gonna be pretty simple. I'm sure there are aftermarket harnesses available. As for the supercharged V6. AWESOME! I always dare to be a little different too. I had thought about the Supercoupe engine but I wanted an engine that would fill the monsterous engine bay but still got good mileage. I bought a complete (slightly wrecked) Mark VIII for use as my donor car, stripped everything possible, then sold or scrapped the rest. It was a pretty economical way to get the combination I wanted.
btw For sure there are some really nice aftermarket computer/connection wiring blocks/terminals--whatever it should be called. I recall somewhere here years ago--It could have been and F1? but maybe F100 They posted some photos of their computer wiring setup, and said how much they liked it and how well it solved all their concerns.

Unfortunately I don't recall the specific poster etc--But if you start a new thread regarding this subject maybe you can find them. They seemed very happy with what they did, and might be a good source in general.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Here's a Ford EFI type overlook that someone recommended/myself i don't know a thing about EFI except for messing with my 92Ranger 2.4L

Ford Fuel Injection

And here's a general discussion about same, and I don't see the photos etc that I was remembering here, but maybe these builders might be good contacts

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onversion.html

Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

You might want to "bump" the thread I linked above and see if people have suggestions

Old 11-18-2011, 06:14 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
There are aftermarket wiring harnesses for my engine but I refuse to pay $900 for one. I have wired up EFI engines before by using an EVTM manual and carefully removing/modifying unnecessary parts of the harness. The key is having patience, good eyes, and a huge bench or garage floor to lay everything out on. The $900 they are asking for these harnesses is money that can go a long way somewhere else.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:23 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 610 Likes on 547 Posts
Originally Posted by H_A_S_R
There are aftermarket wiring harnesses for my engine but I refuse to pay $900 for one. I have wired up EFI engines before by using an EVTM manual and carefully removing/modifying unnecessary parts of the harness. The key is having patience, good eyes, and a huge bench or garage floor to lay everything out on. The $900 they are asking for these harnesses is money that can go a long way somewhere else.
I love that kind of talk!!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by spurredon
I love that kind of talk!!
LMAO! I'm stubborn with my money. Not necessarily tight, just STUBBORN!!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
New wheels and tires!

[IMG] 005.jpg picture by H_A_S_R - Photobucket [IMG]

Finally picked up the tires today and had them mounted. Mocked them up on the truck so I could snap a couple of pics. This is sitting at ride height. The wheels are Boss 338's. The tires are Nitto NT555's. Front rims are 18X8 with 225/45R18 tires, rears are 18X9.5 with 295/45R18's. Tomorrow I'll pull the body off, put the frame back on the rotisserie, and finish welding. The frame is boxed front to rear with 3/16 plate.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Jclars
Freshman User
Looks super John! At first I didnt realize the first pic was with the new wheels and tires, while the other pics were your shop set. It's amazing how much the new set brought the height up. Or at least it appears that way. Is that what you were hoping for? I think it looks great.

Dont think I will use the larger wheels on my 56, so will have to bring the same suspensions down accordingly. It certainly looks right on your truck. I dont think the 56 could pull it off.

John

Old 11-26-2011, 10:50 PM
tbirdscott
Elder User
I've been thinking about whether to go with 17's or 18's on my 59 and I think that pic of your truck answered the question.

Looks Great! any pics of boxing the frame? just wondering how you went around some of the cross members. I would like to box in my frame.

Scott

Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 PM
hawk1959
RATROD58

Hi John on the front end of your truck with the Jag front end was it hard to do the air bags to set up thanks , Nick

Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jclars
Looks super John! At first I didnt realize the first pic was with the new wheels and tires, while the other pics were your shop set. It's amazing how much the new set brought the height up. Or at least it appears that way. Is that what you were hoping for? I think it looks great.

John
The truck is bagged. The first pictures were taken with suspension lowered completely. It looks like it is sitting on the floor, but it is actually resting on all 4 tires. The rockers are 1" off the ground. The picture with the new wheels was taken with the truck mocked up at ride height. Front and rear lower control arms were level. It should be a very comfortable ride height with 6-6 1/2" of clearance at the rockers.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:36 PM
H_A_S_R
Junior User
Originally Posted by tbirdscott
I've been thinking about whether to go with 17's or 18's on my 59 and I think that pic of your truck answered the question.

Looks Great! any pics of boxing the frame? just wondering how you went around some of the cross members. I would like to box in my frame.

Scott
I love the looks of 18's on these trucks. I usually use 17's on the front but these wheels don't come smaller than 18. I will take pictures of the boxing plates next time I get a chance.

Quick Reply: First look!