1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New guy intro

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy intro

Hey guys I posted on the working truck thread and thought I should do a hello intro.51panelman gave me the heads up about this site,I was posting on the Fordbarn and he mentioned this site,which is awesome.So I have lots of other cars and projects but my latest one fits in well here.I've had a soft spot for 48-50 F1s for a very long time.Growing up my dad had restored a 50 F1 when I was in grade school,so naturally I spent alot of time in and around the truck.It was a V8 3 sp just like the one I bought.I learned how to drive stick in it when I was probably 12 years old.In the back of my mind I always wanted to find one.My oldest brother got my dads truck but he really screwed it up pretty good.I'm not against hot rodding or street rodding certain vehicles,I just wouldn't have done it to my dads restored truck.He still has it but it's in a zillon pieces and pretty hacked up,but fixable.Good thing for me he kept most of the stock stuff and I already put a bunch of it on my truck,so alls not a loss.So back to the truck I bought,a good friend of mine calls me up back in September and says Don't you want 50 F1 and I of course said yes if it is the right truck.He tell me to check out craigslist,theres a Texas truck but it's here in Wisconsin.So I get in touch with the owner right away and make plans to look at it the next day.So I grab my dad and my truck and trailer to go look at it.The truck belonged to the guys wifes father.The husband brought the truck back to wisconsin 11 years ago from Texas where his wifes dad lived.It sat the entire time in his garage,the guy never got around to having the truck restored and was not capable of doing the work himself.So the truck is super solid and clean,still retaining most of it's factory black paint.The bad part was the motor was stuck from sitting.I made a deal on the truck and brought it home the same day.I pulled the plugs and filled them all with diesel fuel and let it soak over the weekend,come Monday that motor turned right over.So I cranked it over alot put the plugs back in and it fired right up!!It even ran good on 11 year old gas (pre ethonal) so I gave it a set of points and rotor because they were burned up pretty good.I put a master cylinder in it and bled the brakes out.The truck runs really great.It had a set of horrible chrome mags on it,and my buddy gave me a set of rims and tires off his 40 convertible that he no longer had.I called my bro and asked him if he still had dads push bar and driving lights,and he did so those went on.I put brake and turn signals on it and made some wooden sides for it.My plan is to leave it just the way it is other than mechanical upgrades and maintence.I've been driving it quite a bit and so far so good.I'm bummed that I have to put it away for the winter pretty soon,but I have alot of suspension work I would like to do over winter to tighten things up.Enjoy the pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
this is how it looked when I got it.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User

The bumber and optional push bar are off my dads truck,the patina fits may truck well!!Good thing my brother left it outside for a few years.

Side shot with new rims and tires,the hub caps my brother had laying around.Looks way better without those nasty rims it came with.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Here's the flattie I think it was changed somewhere along the line it has a EAB in it and it's gold in color,so I think it may have been swithed at some point.

I took it bird hunting last week,It was great!! Lola also loves the truck.LOL

Like I said I have other cars but the kids seem to like this old truck alot,they want to take it down to the bus stop every morning.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Firepower,
That's a nice one! It looks oddly familiar - I've got a 1950 black F1 in Texas no less. Welcome aboard!

Ben in Austin

Old 11-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Welcome! My black F-1 is in Kentucky. They're very similar in a lot of ways, including initially the stuck motor. The picture of your kids standing in it is priceless. My kids love my truck too. The hunting picture is great too. Don't change a thing other than what you have planned. It's got that classic farm truck look that cannot be duplicated if it's lost.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Firepower,
That's a nice one! It looks oddly familiar - I've got a 1950 black F1 in Texas no less. Welcome aboard!

Ben in Austin
Thanks!I'm not sure where in Texas is was out of,but it was a Dallas built truck,so I don't think it left Texas.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM
BadAss Beaver
Senior User
Welcome to FTE! You've got a great lookin' ride! There's a bunch of friendly folks around here who have a wealth of knowledge and are willing to share it.

Couldn't help but notice the black lab and the bed full of birds! Can I come by for some pheasant poppers (jalepeno, onion, bacon creamcheese...on the grill)? I've also got a great pheasant tortilla soup recipe I can share

Thanks for posting the pics! Love the 50.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW Truck - Black Lab - Thunder Chickens - Ringnecks and Two Sweet Kids
If that don't make life worth livin' I'm lost.
OH Welcome

Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We need more members. Thanks for finally posting with such a nice preserved original.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc
Don't change a thing other than what you have planned. It's got that classic farm truck look that cannot be duplicated if it's lost.
X2, great looking truck!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Tyler S
Elder User

Cool truck! Welcome to FTE. I am very new to this but surfing a steep learning curve from all the advice and encouragement I've gotten on this site. It's been worth it's weight in gold....wait, does a website weigh anything? Anyway it's been extremely helpful. T

Old 11-10-2011, 05:09 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Firepower, send me an email via my web site, the link is in my signature. I'm in Germantown.

Bob

Old 11-10-2011, 07:29 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
HEY I LEAVE THE HOUSE TO GO TO THE PANAMA CITY CRUZ AND FIREPOWER LOADS MY BLUEDOG UP AND TAKES HIM HUNTING. you can't beat a black lab. Take good care of him. p.s. he likes hotdogs. LOL

Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Firepower flyer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
HEY I LEAVE THE HOUSE TO GO TO THE PANAMA CITY CRUZ AND FIREPOWER LOADS MY BLUEDOG UP AND TAKES HIM HUNTING. you can't beat a black lab. Take good care of him. p.s. he likes hotdogs. LOL
I'll take good care of him,as long as he listens good.LOL You can always use another nose in the field.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,836 Likes on 1,835 Posts
What a fantastic truck!!
Thanks for giving us a little background on it.

Enjoy the ride
Bobby

Quick Reply: New guy intro