6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Family stranded in Salt Lake. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family stranded in Salt Lake. HELP!

My aunt and her husband were on their way down from Oregon to Arizona towing their 35ft 5er with an 08 f-350 DRW 6.4L PSD. I am going by what very little I have been told, but they heard a noise and pulled into the dealership in Salt Lake city. The dealer says there is diesel in the oil.

What could be the cause of this problem?

What are their options?

How much could this cost?

Is there any hope that the dealership could cover the cost? They may have extended warranty I am not sure yet.

The truck is completely stock and I from what I remember it has around 80,000 miles on it. I am fully aware of the troubles with the emissions system that this engine was plagued with. Especially since we used to own a 6.4 ourselves but we upgraded to the 6.7

I want your input on what exactly caused this and how to work with the dealership to fix it. I know many of you know a lot about this engine and how to solve these problems. I'm sorry that the information I gave you on what happened and the noise is vague but that is all I got from a phone call from my aunt for now.

Update:
This dealership says that our local dealership in Bend, Oregon may have added too much fluids which may have caused the leak when they took it in for the 60,000 mile check up which they did just last week; so it has even less miles on it than I thought. I don't know if what they said is true or not but that is what the dealership told my family members.

From what I know there was no warning light or anything that came on but the noise was so loud it scared the hell out of them. They disconnected the 5er on the interstate and crawled to the dealership since they were so close. They spent the night just off the interstate running the generator and the heater because it was 18 degrees. Today Ford is going to tow them to a RV park that is close by.

The dealership is going to take it apart and take a closer look at it today, they may need new injectors.

I will let you guys know when I learn more.

Update II:
Sorry for the delay guys. They are still in Salt Lake and are now waiting for new injectors to come in, hopefully they will arrive Tuesday; that is all I have heard from an email that my aunt sent so far. I will let you know more details as soon I know more.

Final Update:

Finally got another phone call, my aunt who isn't that mechanically inclined originally told me it was the injectors at first but it actually was the fuel pump that was going out.
They should be on their way by Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion and the delays. Thanks to all you guys for the quick responses and input.

I think its pretty premature for a fuel pump to go out at 60k but it could have been worse. The labor and all for the fuel pump cost $3700.00 Ford covered it.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:41 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
at 80,000 miles the truck is still under warranty. These engines seep diesel fuel in to the oil during the exhaust cleanings, which can occur every 80 to 120 miles while towing. The diesel dilution is worse if they are using biodiesel. They will have to see what the techs find but if the maintainence is up to date they should not have to pay anything. The truck computer should have been retuned at the dealership last spring. every owner got a letter telling them to bring the truck in. one of the upgrades was a shutdown if the oil level got too diluted or too much oil growth. That may have happened. Hope everything works out for them. please, let us know how it comes out.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Yes the PCM update, I had them do that when I saw it on the forum before they even got the letter.

Yeah I remember diesel seeping in the oil during regen being an issue but I wanted to confirm that, I wanted a second opinion.

I don't know if there were any warning lights on the dash before they pulled in but I am sure if the truck went into limp mode or anything they would have said that.

They have been very good on servicing their truck and they haven taken very good care of it; there is no fault on their part.

I hope they are covered, I heard to many horror stories of warranties not being honored.

Thanks for the quick reply

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I agree it should be covered. Fuel dillution could be from a few different things. Hopefully there is a code that came with the concern.

they maybe there for a few days while it is being worked on. Hope them have placed the 5er at a campground for the meantime. Or maybe they are camping out at the dealership.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Update: This dealership says that our local dealership in Bend, Oregon may have added too much fluids which may have caused the leak when they took it in for the 60,000 mile check up which they did just last week; so it has even less miles on it than I thought. I don't know if what they said is true or not but that is what the dealership told my family members.

From what I know there was no warning light or anything that came on but the noise was so loud it scared the hell out of them. They disconnected the 5er on the interstate and crawled to the dealership since they were so close. They spent the night just off the interstate running the generator and the heater because it was 18 degrees. Today Ford is going to tow them to a RV park that is close by.

The dealership is going to take it apart and take a closer look at it today, they may need new injectors.

I will let you guys know when I learn more.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
New injectors means they were leaking or something. Fuel dillution.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Could the fuel possibly have been diluted from a service station? Or do you think that there was something else going on with the motor? I know they don't use biodiesel.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Not the service station. Could be something along the lines of sticking/leaking injectors, a bad HPFP hard to say till the do some diagnostics.

I asume they checked the fuel trims to determine a leak. Were the tailpipes moist or black?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Any updates on this? did they find out if there was any other concerns?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by BadgerBoy
Could the fuel possibly have been diluted from a service station? Or do you think that there was something else going on with the motor? I know they don't use biodiesel.
Just a word of caution: if there was a problem with the fuel Ford will not cover the repair. This can cause upwards of $10,000 in damage...really hope that it's not bad fuel!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:51 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Sorry for the delay guys. They are still in Salt Lake and are now waiting for new injectors to come in, hopefully they will arrive by Tuesday. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the fuel. That is all I have heard from an email that my aunt sent so far, I will let you know more details as I know more.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
excessive fuel in oil..
causes
lack of maintance... oil was just changed so pretty well rule that out

leaking injector, they leak from time to time between the body and pizo stack. there is a nonservicabel o-ring in there.
this can be found by dumping aprx 50mL of oil dye in the upper filter hounsing, remove both valve covers and running the engine while looking for dye comming out of injectors.

leaking high pressure pump.. remove drain plug command low pressure pump on and wait to see if fuel runs out of drain plug. it maybe neccary to bump the engine over a little bit to make it leak.

also make sure cac and cac tubes are drained and cleaned of any excess oil.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Finally got another phone call, my aunt who isn't that mechanically inclined originally told me it was the injectors at first but it actually was the fuel pump that was going out.
They should be on their way by Wednesday. Sorry for the confusion and the delays. Thanks to all you guys for the quick responses and input.

I think its pretty premature for a fuel pump to go out at 60k but it could have been worse.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM
senix
Super Moderator
so ford is covering this I hope.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
BadgerBoy
Junior User
Yes they are

Quick Reply: Family stranded in Salt Lake. HELP!