6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Security

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Security

I live in a very nice neighborhood however my HOA announced that several vehicle break-ins have occurred recently. I do not have the ability to park my truck in a garage. Just curious if anyone out there has elected to use any security devices and if so what did you select?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM
GZip
Senior User
Are you trying to protect the truck, or its contents?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
fldave
Junior User

Originally Posted by Fontana
I live in a very nice neighborhood however my HOA announced that several vehicle break-ins have occurred recently. I do not have the ability to park my truck in a garage. Just curious if anyone out there has elected to use any security devices and if so what did you select?
Typically these trucks are broken in by punching out the key cylinder. So I elected to go with jimmi jammers key cylinder delete which is replaced by a plug. I also installed a viper alarm system 5901 which has a remote paging system which is supposed to be good up to a mile. I also installed a remote system that plugs into the alarm unit which will page my smartphone if alarm is triggered. I can arm/disarm or track the vehicle wherever I'm at, as long as I have a cell signal and the vehicle has a cell signal.

At my home, I also have security cameras installed which I can also view from a smartphone or anywhere using a computer.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My neighborhood was similarly invaded 9 months ago. The prowlers weren't satisfied with just rifling throug cars and started entering garages throug unlocked side doors. Afew of us installed security cameras around our houses and recorded the little twerps in action. The cops used the video to catch the kids. We also organized the neighborhood to make sure lights are on at night and ALL exterior doors were locked. We went from about a dozen break-ins in the spring to zero over the last 4 months. Take a look at this misguided young man on the side of my house:

Teuvo Jones home surveillance video - YouTube

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 PM
GZip
Senior User
Sweet setup Epic. I could wire some nasty noisemakers to go along with that...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

This is a really good topic. I was wondering the same really. Does FORD offer an alarm system anymore?

I have one installed on my '03 SD...and like the peace of mind.

An engine demobilizer (if that is what the '11 and '12 use????) is cool...but does not keep the bad guys out of the truck!

biz

Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Originally Posted by GZip
Are you trying to protect the truck, or its contents?
I think that the reports so far is that the thieves are stealing DVD players and garage door openers. The truck has an alarm so I suppose priority is on contents. I'm seeking discussion on all security measures to see what's going on.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Does Ford still use the term "alarm" or is it "anti-theft" system?
I can't remember.
"Anti-theft" as in protecting some vehicle components, not personal items is how I understand it.

The factory XLT anti-theft seems designed simply to prevent radio theft or to make noise if the doors are improperly opened as a bonus.
If a window is broken, I'm not expecting any type of notification unless the thief is dumb and opens the door from the inside.

Good camera setup, Epic.
I know this exact feeling about a nice neighborhood with a new problem of break-ins.
We've had vehicle break-ins within our subdivision over the past year, too.
Not with my stuff so far but it's just as aggravating when it happens to neighbors.
I've installed two cameras over the past two years.
In my case, I know they're teenagers I just haven't proved it yet with video feed.
What a shame it is that I've had to install cameras at home.
Did I mention it's aggravating? (end soap box)

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 PM
bigoltrk
Senior User
I went with the Clifford two way paging system and auto start. If someone bumps your truck, your key fob will alert you. It also tells you the difference between a bump and an opened door. The range for the alarm and auto start is really good with Clifford as well. I keep my keys on my night stand since my garage door opener is in the truck. The alert will give me enough time to grab the .44 and 9mm from the night stand.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
For the vehicle I dont leave anything of value in sight. Windows are tinted also.

Motion sensor flood lights above garage and a .45 for criminal management.

I wish all my neighbors would leave lights on, my street is dark

Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM
FourOneTons
Senior User
+1 on the Jimmi' Jammers and driver's-side lock cylinder delete. And I made sure to put the Jimmi' Jammer warning stickers at the corners of the windows on the assumption that the prospective perp can read, and then go somewhere else.

Joe

Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

+1 on the .45, and please add a 12 gauge.......

Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Fontana
Senior User
I am heavily armed as well. One item I keep in the center console hence my desire to keep it secure while I sleep. Just checking to see if my fellow super duty fans have come up with various means of security. Many of us spend a lot of cash on periodic modifications. It is reasonable to think that we would do the same to protect our prized possessions.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I've not modified mine but going off of what others said, something that notifies you seems to be the best answer.

People tend to ignore car alarms in public places anyways.
Another feature I would look for that someone mentioned is the proximity notification (a bump for example) but silent.
No need in the vehicle making noises everytime someone gets too close.
Of course, if someone smashes a window, it can make some noise.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Fontana
Senior User
That does make sense. I don't want an alarm going off for a little vibration at work. At home I may. My truck is parked a few feet away from my bedroom window. All I have to do is look down so the alarm may be right for me. I believe Viper alarm systems are still leading the aftermarket sales for car alarms.

I just read that another member just had his truck broken into with a screwdriver.

Quick Reply: Security