Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > Oregon Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Fabmandelux

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Senior User

Spider-Kenneth is starting off with a positive reputation.
SpiderKenneth
Motorcraft carb issue

So I just got my truck all back together, after a week of seating valves, and new gaskets... Now I am getting an air leak, it is coming out of the throttle rod that connects the butterfly venturies, I have heard from a couple of people this is common for the Motorcraft 2100's, because they don't have bushings like others do. I can't afford a new carb or anything like that. Is there a way to fix this? It is newly rebuilt and because of my massive missing problems, I couldn't catch on to it before.

1 other thing. I noticed when starting my truck, when turning it over- you can turn it nonstop and nothing will happen, the truck WILL NOT fire until you stop turning it over, this is a bit weird to me, anyone know why this happens?

P.S. I moved this thread here in hope of finding an answer (BII thread doesn't get answers often enough)

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
That start only after release of key from "START" position problem is usually because you haven't bypassed your ballast resistor with a wire from the starter solemoid directly to the coil.

What year, and what kind of ignition system did you say you have? (You didn't.) Is it the '84 B-Twice?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Senior User

SpiderKenneth
1984, yeah, it's a b2. It has the duraspark conversion in it. I am pretty sure it did it before. OH! I get it, it does it because of the resistor?

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
No, not because of the resistor. The resistor is supposed to be there.

Take a look at this:
DuraSpark Wiring Schematic

Notice the little "S" and "R" next to the ballast resistor? That's the "START" and "RUN" outputs from the ignition switch.

The "R" goes through the resistor. The resistor is there to reduce the average voltage output to the spark plugs. The spark doesn't have to be as "hot" while running, and it keeps the entire DuraSpark unit from running hot.

The "S" supplies a full +12 volts to create a hotter spark during the time the starter motor is lugging down the battery voltage. It helps to have a little hotter spark while starting.

My guess is that you don't have the wire from the "S" to the coil, the one that effectively "bypasses" the resistor. Make sense to you?

That "S" source can come from one of the small terminals on some Ford-type starter solenoids, from the ignition switch directly, or even from the starter motor.

Pop
Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
I answered your carb question in your other thread in the B2 forum.
84 Ranger 4x4 2.8 V-6 5spd......500,140 miles!
Dave
Oregon Assistant Chapter leader: To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior User

SpiderKenneth
Pop- I do understand this;
Is it a wire that should already be there or should I splice it up; I am sorry. I am bad at putting 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for the help

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Too old to be too smart

If the DuraSpark came from the factory, it would be there.

However, since you modded the B-Twice to add DuraSpark, it's possible that you may have missed adding that wire.

If you were to put a multi-meter (reading voltage) on the "BAT" side of the coil (other wire of the voltmeter to ground) what would the voltage be during "CRANK"? If it's next-to-nothing, there's your problem. If it's close to battery voltage, that's not your problem.

The engine WILL run normally, once started, right?

Some testing is in order for you......

Pop
Old 11-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Old93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputationOld93junk has a superb reputation
The 83-84 duraspark swap is plug and play, the 85 is more problematic and requires a ballast resistor to be added............Sure your B2 is not a 85?

As Marv says..............Start testing.
Dave
Old 11-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Senior User

SpiderKenneth
It is an 84.... I put a resistor on my coil, it is white.... Could this be my problem?

I don't have a volt meter, though.
My resistor is connected to positive of coil with positive batt connected to the bottom of the resistor.

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Old, tired and grouchy

NO resistor is needed for 83-84 Ranger/B2 2.8 duraspark swap...........Check the diagram on the Rangerstation site.
Dave
Old 11-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old93junk View Post
NO resistor is needed for 83-84 Ranger/B2 2.8 duraspark swap...........Check the diagram on the Rangerstation site.
Is that because the resistor is built into the harness, or is the design different to not use a resistor at all?

There's still something amiss when the truck won't start until you release the key from "START" to "RUN".

Pop
Old 11-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Senior User

SpiderKenneth
Well, thanks all. I am gonna try it tomorrow after work. See how it goes.

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Old, tired and grouchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
Is that because the resistor is built into the harness, or is the design different to not use a resistor at all?

There's still something amiss when the truck won't start until you release the key from "START" to "RUN".

Pop
I followed the Rangerstation Duraspark swap for my 84, and no ballast resistor was needed per the instructions, it runs flawlessly. I think that resistor must go, and was only for the 85' yr models. Why... I have never researched, all I know is it WORKS!!
Dave
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Senior User

SpiderKenneth
Well, that solves that issue. Still having a carb issue, I think.... It seems no matter what I do with this thing I can't ever have this head ache over with!

Sheila’s Status
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Too old to be too smart

Did you simply remove the resistor to solve the issue?

Pop
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM