Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300 inline mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
300ci Legend
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 inline mods thread

I figured I would start a mods thread just for fun. Anyone know of any, other than obvious, mods to improve power and economy. I for one heard of a 90's model with the 4.9 getting 22mpg. He ran the mazda 5 speed, not sure on the rear end size.. He had a free flowing true dual exhaust, electric fan conversion, k&n intake, blaster coil, timing advanced to 13 degrees, top of the line plugs and wires, and all new ignition and fuel components. I was wondering what else could be brought to the table. And does anyone have a link to the electric fan mod? And has anyone done true ram air?

Old 10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
a cam and milled heads if you wanna tear into the motor. most guys just give it a good tune up and throw a turbo exhaust on there.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 300ci Legend
I figured I would start a mods thread just for fun. Anyone know of any, other than obvious, mods to improve power and economy. I for one heard of a 90's model with the 4.9 getting 22mpg. He ran the mazda 5 speed, not sure on the rear end size.. He had a free flowing true dual exhaust, electric fan conversion, k&n intake, blaster coil, timing advanced to 13 degrees, top of the line plugs and wires, and all new ignition and fuel components. I was wondering what else could be brought to the table. And does anyone have a link to the electric fan mod? And has anyone done true ram air?
True Dual Exhaust.....useless...The 300's don't actually put enough exhaust out for it to be truly beneficial.....A simple Y and a SI/SO muffler...You're good....

As for electric fans....No real use for them...If its a simple DD...IMPO....More issues, problems, etc...Than what its actually gonna gain....

Modifications-Bolt Ons, etc...

-Hedman Headers-Carb'ed or EFI engines
-Dual Plane Offenhauser Intake Manifold-For Carb'ed engines
-Single Plane offenHauser Intake Manifold-For Carb'ed engines
-Cloyes Steel Timing Gears-Carb'ed or EFI engines
-MSD 6L Distribution Box-Carb'ed or EFI engines
-MSD (Or equivalent wires)
-MSD Coil-Carb'ed or EFI engines *Note-The Non-Carb'ed engines don't use the TFI module MSD Coil....The EFI engines otherwise, do....Watch the parts #'s...
-Side gapping the plugs (Controversy starts now...)Performance Unlimited 4-Wheel & Off Road Center - Hartford, Wisconsin - USA Technical Documents

Modifications-Internal....
-390 Pistons-Carb'ed/EFI engines *Note-They have the same wrist pin size, etc...
-351w Pistons-Carb'ed/EFI engines *Note-They have to be bushed...
-Aftermarket Camshafts-Carb'ed/EFI engines *Note-You'll need to make sure its computer friendly for the EFI engines...
-Port & Polish the head *Note-On the Carb'ed engines, leave the Intake runners somewhat rough (For better atomization..)
-1.7" Chevrolet Roller Rocker Arms *Note-Can be used in place of a camshaft, for cheapness, etc...
-Shave the head....*Note-You need some quench left....Remember, the engine is a low compression/high torque engine in factory trim...Shave it too far, you'll have a lot of clearance issues...

As for getting the best out of the 300 in factory trim....Do a good Tuneup..Period...Thats about it....Unless you go forced induction....Check out www.Ford-Six.com .....It's nothing but Inline engines there...

Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Eddiec1564
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
True Dual Exhaust.....useless...The 300's don't actually put enough exhaust out for it to be truly beneficial.....A simple Y and a SI/SO muffler...You're good....

My friend did that to his 92 F250 and LOST MPG(was around 14 to 16 MPG then went to 10 to 12!)! Nothing else was changed to engine but exhaust. We think there must be some back pressure in the exhaust for the ECU to be happy controling the EGR system. Any thoughs about that?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Eddiec1564
My friend did that to his 92 F250 and LOST MPG(was around 14 to 16 MPG then went to 10 to 12!)! Nothing else was changed to engine but exhaust. We think there must be some back pressure in the exhaust for the ECU to be happy controling the EGR system. Any thoughs about that?
To tell you the truth...The exhaust, after the oxygen sensor....is up for grabs...As long as it has enough diameter to carry the velocity of the exhaust gases.....

Backpressure....I honestly haven't seen much good info out there on the matter...I do know in diesels, its a BAD things (The turbo'd versions at least)...

Sounds like your friend either got too tiny of a diameter pipe, or a restrictive muffler...Idk though...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:18 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
Same here. I havent heard any reliable information on back pressure. I have heard rumors that not enough will make your engine suck a valve. But its hard to say how true that is.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:25 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
Oh and sidewinder, what did you mean by side gaping the plugs? And has anyone tried to convert from ASD to MAF like on the 96 models? Also how hard is it to equip you engine with MSD as far as wiring goes?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:35 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Oh and sidewinder, what did you mean by side gaping the plugs? And has anyone tried to convert from ASD to MAF like on the 96 models? Also how hard is it to equip you engine with MSD as far as wiring goes?
There's a link aboout sidegapping the plugs....

As far as the MSD goes...Plug and play.....

Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
I would have never even thought of that. Will definitely be side gaping the plugs tonight. Thanks man.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:53 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I would have never even thought of that. Will definitely be side gaping the plugs tonight. Thanks man.
There's some controversy over that...Some ppl says it causes ignition issues (Predetonation, etc) and some says it causes the burn to be more directed....Idk...Never have peronsally done it...Truck runs fine as is....

Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
Ahhh hell. I may just end up swapping rearends. I just want more power. Its frustrating. I feel like the truck should have more torque than it does. I know it isn't a race car, but I do hate how it struggles in the passing lane.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Ahhh hell. I may just end up swapping rearends. I just want more power. Its frustrating. I feel like the truck should have more torque than it does. I know it isn't a race car, but I do hate how it struggles in the passing lane.
It's NOT the torque....Numbers wise, it is right up there with 90% of the vehicles on the road....

The ISSUE, is the fact that it makes PEAK torque @ 2,000 RPM's......Where most vehicles are just BEGINNING to breathe.....See what I mean?

Yes, gearing helps...But the issue is still there....It needs to be opened up in the rpm's a tad.....Hence...A camshaft swap....

Old 10-15-2011, 11:11 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
I have actually thought about getting a bigger cam, but from what I have heard the computer doesn't take kindly to them. Wouldn't you have to have the computer tuned for a bigger cam, or swap to MAF?

Old 10-15-2011, 11:21 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

I have actually thought about getting a bigger cam, but from what I have heard the computer doesn't take kindly to them. Wouldn't you have to have the computer tuned for a bigger cam, or swap to MAF?
I'm DYING to get the MAF swap...

And actually the Speed Density tuning, will allow for ~10% of a change....

Check into a Moates Quarterhorse tuner, or a Megasquirt II system....

Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM
300ci Legend
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
I'm DYING to get the MAF swap...

And actually the Speed Density tuning, will allow for ~10% of a change....

Check into a Moates Quarterhorse tuner, or a Megasquirt II system....
Yeah me too, The MAF swap would do wonderful gains, and I have actually looked into buying a megasquirt unit and putting it together, but im not sure that im confident enough in my wiring skills to chop all of the wires going to my computer.
And im still a little sketchy on downloading premade fuel and ignition maps.

Quick Reply: 300 inline mods thread