6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

who to trust for ficm repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:42 AM
frankmako
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ed at ficmrepair.com did one for me last week. went with the full boat deal. you can go cheaper, but why. you just don't know what you will get with the cheaper deals.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ed repaired mine just over a month ago (i got the Full Blown Rebuild w/2 year warranty) & the voltage is always 48.5-49 w/an occasional 48 for a brief moment.....Very helpful & gets em back FAST.....Thanks again, Warren

Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Originally Posted by frankmako
ed at ficmrepair.com did one for me last week. went with the full boat deal. you can go cheaper, but why. you just don't know what you will get with the cheaper deals.
The old adage 'you get what you pay for' rings extremely true in the case of FICM repair.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 AM
efizzle
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guys over at Circuit Board Medics (www.circuitboardmedics.com) seem to really know their stuff. I had my gauge cluster repaired by them, and talked with one of the techs about the 6.0 for a while. I like that they give an honest opinion about increasing the voltage to the injectors.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 AM
BKM-WR3
Senior User
I too had my FICM repaired by Ed. Before sending it to him my voltage would drop into the low 30's on cold mornings. I went with the 2 yr warranty option. Turnaround time was quick, 4 days from the time I sent it to him. Now my voltage never goes below 48 but 99% of the time it is 48.5 or 49.

I think my results are typical of Ed's repairs and he is a sponsor of this site so why go anywhere else.

Thanks Ed keep up the great work and I hope your business continues to prosper!!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
I'm glad to see the support on here, guys, and even more glad to have taken good care of you all!

I don't think it's mentioned in this thread, so I'll go ahead now - we don't believe that the voltage upgrade is a good idea.

My techs and I know precisely how to perform that upgrade - both the 'quick' 'tack on a resistor' fix and the more involved 'change out a myriad of parts to support the higher voltage and then either tack on a resistor or (do things the better way) and actually change the component regulating the output.

I run a component-upgraded 48V (our 'premium service') FICM in my 6.0 and have no plans of changing.

At issue is the difference between how the 48V and higher voltage modules fail and the fact the failure rate is dramatically higher (about three times higher, in fact) than with the stock voltage modules.

Stock voltage units tend to go out gradually in the following progression:

1. Longer crank times. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
2. Longer crank times with poor cold running. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
3. Multiple crank cycles with nearly zero power until warrmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
4. Won't start unless plugged in or the module is heated with a hair dryer. No power until warmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
5. Won't start unless the module is heated with a hair dryer. Bucking and jumping down the road, never will run right, even when fully warmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
6. Won't start at all. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 -yep, that's the next step.
7. Send your module into Ed at FICMrepair.com and he'll set you up.

Compare that with the typical failure of a voltage upgraded unit:

1. Everything is PERFECT. Then one day, while driving down the road with your family in the middle of who-knows-where and who-knows-what-time, the truck just cuts off and won't restart. Hopefully, you were able to coast to a shoulder. Take apart the module and find black soot nearly everywhere and a physically damaged circuit board that will need to be replaced and can no longer be repaired. Quietly weep.
2. Send your module into Ed at FICMrepair.com and he'll replace the board if changing out just one of them is even an option or provide you a complete replacement, taking your dead module in as a core to be sent off to the FICM graveyard.

Good luck to all!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
steelhead2
Posting Guru
I sent mine to ed last wed. Im hoping he got it friday so i can get it back in for this coming weekend. Ive got steelhead to chase!!!!!! Through recieving emails from ed i decided to go with him, seems like a no bs kinda guy, and the last thing we need is a guy that bs's us about a 6.0. Thanks ed!, cant wait to get 'ol blue running again.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice Work Truck
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you Ed for doing such a great job on mine back in Dec.
It was a pleasure doing business with you.
I run my business the same way, built on customer service and referrals.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ED. No one else. Tons of people used him around here, and he's been nothing but good. GREAT guy to deal with.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 AM
SoCalSuperDuty03
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90
ED. No one else. Tons of people used him around here, and he's been nothing but good. GREAT guy to deal with.
I agree. Ed has definitely taken good care of me, and everyone I know who has had FICM issues.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM
goosehunta
Elder User
Ed repaired mine too. i got the high end deal and worth every penny so far. my truck starts up quick in 35-40* mornings. before i was having to plug it up to start up in 50* weather. i havnt had any 10-20* mornings sence. and well spring is almost here now.

but Ed is a great guy. A+++ on customer service and communiction.

Thanks Ed!!

Old 05-15-2012, 01:46 PM
BeowulfUSMC
New User
Would not send my FICM anywhere else!

Had some injector issues and eventually popped a P0611 FICM code on my 05 KR 6.0 and began scrambling to find a repair place. Was very tempted by a cheap ebay FICM and was going to call Ed to ask about exchanging my core. To my surprise and delight, the area code was the same as MINE! It turns out Ed is located less than 20 minutes from my house. I had the distinct pleasure of actually meeting Ed face to face and dropped my FICM off at 9:00pm on a Friday night! After covering home building methods, farm equipment, 6.0 diesels, and seeing the very 5030 Kubota on which he tinkers (his old handle), I left confident that my FICM was in good hands. Ed had it ready for me the next morning for pick up!! ON A SATURDAY! My FICM voltage went from an irregular range of 48 to a low in the 43s to a solid 48.5-49!

Ed is the man and like my title says, I wouldn't take my FICM ANYWHERE ELSE! Thanks a million Ed!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:19 PM
dukkie
Junior User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
I'm glad to see the support on here, guys, and even more glad to have taken good care of you all!

I don't think it's mentioned in this thread, so I'll go ahead now - we don't believe that the voltage upgrade is a good idea.

My techs and I know precisely how to perform that upgrade - both the 'quick' 'tack on a resistor' fix and the more involved 'change out a myriad of parts to support the higher voltage and then either tack on a resistor or (do things the better way) and actually change the component regulating the output.

I run a component-upgraded 48V (our 'premium service') FICM in my 6.0 and have no plans of changing.

At issue is the difference between how the 48V and higher voltage modules fail and the fact the failure rate is dramatically higher (about three times higher, in fact) than with the stock voltage modules.

Stock voltage units tend to go out gradually in the following progression:

1. Longer crank times. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
2. Longer crank times with poor cold running. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
3. Multiple crank cycles with nearly zero power until warrmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
4. Won't start unless plugged in or the module is heated with a hair dryer. No power until warmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
5. Won't start unless the module is heated with a hair dryer. Bucking and jumping down the road, never will run right, even when fully warmed up. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 OR CONTINUE.
6. Won't start at all. GO DIRECTLY TO STEP 7 -yep, that's the next step.
7. Send your module into Ed at FICMrepair.com and he'll set you up.

Compare that with the typical failure of a voltage upgraded unit:

1. Everything is PERFECT. Then one day, while driving down the road with your family in the middle of who-knows-where and who-knows-what-time, the truck just cuts off and won't restart. Hopefully, you were able to coast to a shoulder. Take apart the module and find black soot nearly everywhere and a physically damaged circuit board that will need to be replaced and can no longer be repaired. Quietly weep.
2. Send your module into Ed at FICMrepair.com and he'll replace the board if changing out just one of them is even an option or provide you a complete replacement, taking your dead module in as a core to be sent off to the FICM graveyard.

Good luck to all!
Ed, I am At step 7!!!!!!. Nobody answered at the shop when I called today. I have to add the extra $50 because its been previously soldered at home 3 weeks ago and worked beautiful for 2 weeks. But then just lost all torque, now it literally takes about 3 minutes to get up to 30mph and is showing 5 codes, High Circuits on 4 injectors, (dont quote me but I believe 1,4,5,7) and one unknown code. Im Filling out the FICM repair intake form at this moment. and dropping it in the mail tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Sorry no one got to answer your call today...phones have been CRAZY for the last couple of weeks. We'll take great care of you, though. If you left a message, we'll get you called back.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
dukkie
Junior User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Sorry no one got to answer your call today...phones have been CRAZY for the last couple of weeks. We'll take great care of you, though. If you left a message, we'll get you called back.

FICM installed today, fired up on first try. idle rough, took it around the block medium power, no turbo kick with WOT 10-30 mph, showing code P0263.
please advise

Quick Reply: who to trust for ficm repair