1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1970 ford crewcab restoration, wyoming.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
workin truck rear half.

built me a gooseneck hitch recessed and workin rear hitch mock up with my 9000 warn winch, remote for rear or front. getting fuel tank figured out. added 2" blocks to rear and get better stance and when four wheeler loaded sets a little over level and fuel should level off pretty good. will have some photos soon. figured i drop in. got transfer case new seals in and installed. transfer case installed and now need to get a few new yoke 1350 yoke for year and not decided on 4wd yoke.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:58 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
photobucket is set up.

check my photobucket account. for all photos of 1970 crew and many more.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
gaining ground on truck

well been a productive labor day weekend. got final coat of paint on truck finally. needed a good weather weekend to skuff and buff and fix a door. jason shot paint for me and its done. needs to be buffed on still but aluminum bed back on and grille back in. installed back glass also. headed back to north dakota in morning to finish up a big job, gonna make some bank$$ keepin my ford motorsports program going. catch you guys later.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
new used grille on the way?

blue oval dismantler has some killer deals. purchase tommorrow.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 PM
lilsmokey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a beautiful paint choice. and done very very well. Your doing a great job. What color orange is that?

Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
kubota orange.

Originally Posted by lilsmokey
That is a beautiful paint choice. and done very very well. Your doing a great job. What color orange is that?
just shot final paint last weekend and i haven't got any photo's of that yet. will be installing glass this weekend and all new trim. the truck is starting to really happen. it has been a lot of work and can always do better but will be a good driver. hope my rear disc brake parts are in also and that will be done also. long days and nights on weekends. first coat a little light with gray epoxy primer and then the second coat of kubota has given it a little darker orange like i was wanting. new rubber on everything and door trim. glad you like. old iron with a modern twist.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:06 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
glass

well thought i would have all glass in but some parts from LMC is missing so windshield and rear glass only. parts ordered and now hurry up and wait. work on small stuff. door handles and other misc stuff that needs to be done.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:13 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
rear disc brakes on a dana 60.

well working disc brakes. original plan was to do a chevy type conversion rear disc. really wasn't likin having chevy stuff on this truck. so the plan has changed. now have mocked up a dana 60 front rotor and caliper and bracket on this truck from a 1995 f-350, it can be done!! i also had a dana 80 rear axle that has parts with emergency brake. after lookin at all this stuff it can be done also. you have to fab up a plate from axle to caliper bracket but not really a big deal. just time and tedious and its ford parts on a ford. with the dana 60 front rotor and brake caliper system you have no emergency brake. so gonna have to figure out a driveline brake system? ran out of time and headed to north dakota for 2 weeks and no truck time. just order parts.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
custom 4 link installed, merry christmas to ME!!!

well guys got my 4 link installed just before christmas. Sorry for not checkin in but decided to trash my elbow and surgery required. exploded my tricep off my elbow, not fun. trip, spin, splat, ouch!!! 3 1/2 months of my life i will never get back. Back to getting things done. its installed and sitting on the ground. gonna finish welding out this weekend on 2 brackets and looks nice and clean. very pleased! jason assisted and his first 4 link with me. did one on my 77 ford many yrs ago and still love it to this day. the trac bar is the tricky part and getting placed in correct position. measure 10 times and then cut once. DOM tubing is like $20 bucks a foot for 1.5" od tubing. will have pictures once i get it outside next week. Rear disc brakes will be installed this weekend. hoping to have all done by new years with link suspension and brakes upgraded. looks very clean. pictures soon. happy new years to all!! keepin old iron alive one ford at a time.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
back on project.

sorry for not posting but north dakota has been busy. But got more cool parts on the way. fuel injected soon. parts on the way fast ez efi 2.0 will be here next week. Also Fox 3.0 shocks 14" up front also autofab coil buckets custom for off road racing and adjustable, very nice piece by autofab. New seat from a 1978 bronco installed and new upolstry, black. have a 2012 f350 ext cab rear back seat also. lots of little fab work to make work and look correct. its coming together. also bought some new engine pulleys from CVF racing pulley billet aluminum. great company to deal with and nice pieces and custom for towing and performance underdrives if curious.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Russ Moxon
New User
I'd like some know how about your flywheel spacer. I have both 460 and 400 flywheels at my disposal. I read gary's thread...you show having a spacer of .150 thickness and somewhere in midst of 45 pages you mentioned the flywheel rides a little close to the block, correct? And that .250 thickness may be a little better?-On the flipside..gary had interference issues with the .300 thickness and chopped .125 off the crank side. I figure .200 will do, unless you have anything to add to that. Is your the flywheel aftermarket or factory? Did you run a clutch with more offset at the hub or is it closer to stock style?

Old 01-06-2014, 11:08 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
flywheel stuff!

the flywheel is from a 460 ford and its the thick flywheel/hyd clutch. The reason i ran the thick flywheel is because of the spline contact from tranny to clutch plate. if you run a factory flywheel 400 and bolt it up the spline contact inside clutch is about maybe 1/8". if you install a 460 hyd thick it will increase your spline contact at clutch to input shaft. Also i built a adapter for 460 flywheel to 400 ford and .150 thickness. Knowing more about this i would go .250 thickness to clear the starter gear and .150ths is the minimum. I had to build a shim to help clear starter gear. this is alot of mock up time and prepping and I'm now satisfied with my setup. next thing is flywheel balance to your flywheel. getting your setup to balance is the next issue. i took mine to a excellent machine shop in billing montana. very pleased with work. I will build another down the road! also a company builds a 6 speed tranny called tranzilla and uses a quicktime bellhousing. simpler setup but expensive! hope i covered everything.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:15 AM
Russ Moxon
New User
6 speed would be cool! But my old putter bronco doesn't need that. I'd like to machine everything myself, but the mill motor just burned up and the old belt driven lathe doesn't have much gumption in the wet months..there goes my weekend beer money!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Awesome. Nice attention to detail.. but this build thread needs some inline pics!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM
wyoming4x4
Posting Guru
photos look great. more progress coming.

I have now installed autofab coil towers/adjustable and waiting on fox shocks. this truck has 13" suspension travel up front. have 14" fox 3.0's on the way. should drive and handle awesome on some dirt roads well. once shocks arrive will be some changes on lower coilspring mounts. will upgrade lower coil spring mounts and shock mounts to work together. work is killing my toy time. In colorado at the moment making some money$$.

Quick Reply: 1970 ford crewcab restoration, wyoming.