Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

body lift problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM
95f150mudder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
body lift problems

so i was doing the cab part of the body lift and i snapped the bolt that is in the middle of the 3 on both sides...not to sure what to do about getting the bottom of the bolt out. does that mount seperate between the cab mount. also my radiator mount is rotted out so im also not sure what to do with that either since even if i did put the spacer in it wouldnt be holding anything to lift the truck. any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I can't quite picture in my head which bolts you snapped.... if you could clarify that, then it would help. As for the radiator support, mine was so rotted out that I would have been in the same position as you when I put my lift in but I had a brand new support put in my truck before I did my lift so I didn't have any issues with that. I'd say if you want to get by on the cheap side then weld some metal in there that can rest on top of the spacer.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 95f150mudder
any advice would be appreciated.
Lift the suspension, not the body.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I still don't understand all of the hatred towards body lifts... I installed my 3" with minimal problems and have had NO problems after lifting the truck. If it's done properly, then the truck will be fine. Mine is.... and get this.. the body hasn't slid off of the frame yet..

Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,103 Likes on 2,165 Posts
the "hate for body lifts" is because they are usually very poorly designed, and made with the cheapest parts possible, causing them to fail easily.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:15 AM
95f150mudder
New User
Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
Lift the suspension, not the body.
I allready hhave an 8inch suspension I was just lookin to clear 40s a little easier

Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM
95f150mudder
New User
Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
I can't quite picture in my head which bolts you snapped.... if you could clarify that, then it would help. As for the radiator support, mine was so rotted out that I would have been in the same position as you when I put my lift in but I had a brand new support put in my truck before I did my lift so I didn't have any issues with that. I'd say if you want to get by on the cheap side then weld some metal in there that can rest on top of the spacer.
The bolts I snapped aren't the ones that if u whent down the side of the truck they would be even with the f150 emblem

Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM
tanz45
Freshman User
The bolt goes down through the cab by your feet and into the threaded plate under the body mount. Shouldn't you just be able to pry it out?

Then replace with a large washer and nut?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:21 AM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
I still don't understand all of the hatred towards body lifts... I installed my 3" with minimal problems and have had NO problems after lifting the truck. If it's done properly, then the truck will be fine. Mine is.... and get this.. the body hasn't slid off of the frame yet..
Body lifts have a bad reputation already, but the OP is attempting to put more stress on rusty body pieces making it infinitely less safe.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tanz45
The bolt goes down through the cab by your feet and into the threaded plate under the body mount. Shouldn't you just be able to pry it out?

Then replace with a large washer and nut?
x2 on what tanz said. I just cut mine off from the underside and popped them out through the top. Otherwise if the bolt actually broke in half or whatever then just pry it from the top and if the other half of the bolt is stuck in there then pound it out from the top.

Originally Posted by lvin4jc33
Body lifts have a bad reputation already, but the OP is attempting to put more stress on rusty body pieces making it infinitely less safe.
I understand in his situation, not having a decent support for the front two body lift spacers. However I had my support replaced, and everywhere the spacers went were underneath solid metal and my bolts were properly torqued down, etc. You can only say so much about body lifts until you actually put one in YOUR own vehicle. (I'm not really saying you should) Just that people around here tend to go along with everybody else's opinions on body lifts based on some story that their uncle's friend's brother's friend got into an accident and his body separated from the frame... etc........

Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Chris72
Tuned
I dont get the whole "40s on a half ton"
And you all know how i feel about body lift anyway.

Unless its a mall crawler, your going to have to upgrade the axles to 1 tons to run 40s without breaking anytime your off the pavement.

If you must screw up your truck with body lift, Replace the core support and remove the broken bolt and install new hardware. With body lift I hope your not thin skinned, becasue everyone laughs at body lift.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
No, Chris, people like you laugh at body lifts. Remember us teenagers are "stupid and inexperienced" and we all like to "F#$@ up our trucks". I honestly could care less about anybody's opinions on body lifts. Mine turned out the way I wanted it to, and it was done right. That's all I have to say.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Chris72
Tuned
Easy there killer. I am not attacking anyone, just stating that body lift does not accomplish any real lift. it has been proven to be the most unsafe way to lift a truck and is frowned upon by hard core off road groups.

I dont care what you do with YOUR truck, that the beauty of it being yours, not mine.

Glad your worked out for you, but you will never find body lift on my rigs, i spend a little extra money and lift it what I CONSIDER to the the right way.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you but I'm just stating my opinion. I don't do any real off roading other than going hunting so the body lift is ideal for me since it is on paved roads 90% of the time.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:59 PM
95f150mudder
New User
Arrow

Originally Posted by Chris72
Easy there killer. I am not attacking anyone, just stating that body lift does not accomplish any real lift. it has been proven to be the most unsafe way to lift a truck and is frowned upon by hard core off road groups.

I dont care what you do with YOUR truck, that the beauty of it being yours, not mine.

Glad your worked out for you, but you will never find body lift on my rigs, i spend a little extra money and lift it what I CONSIDER to the the right way.
I allready have an 8 inch suspension...I was just lookin for a little more clearance for my 40s

Quick Reply: body lift problems