Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Black Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black Fuel Filter

I changed my oil and Fuel filters today, I had 5K on the oil and around 10K on the fuel filter.
I didn't drain the fuel filter housing before opening it. I looked in it after pulling the filter and the put my nitrile gloved hand in it the fuel looked clear and didn't have any blackish oil in it that I could see.
I did this since when I pulled the filter the outside of the filter screen that is usually white was black, as you can see in the picture.

I think I might have injector O ring problems. I do have ICP problems when the truck and weather are warm.
What do you think?

I have been wanting to send off an oil sample, but money is really tight since kid #3 just came last week. In fact I used 2 different oils this last change. I had 2 gallons of Delo400 and 2 of the Valvoline Blue 15-40 I figured since I had the oil and it all met the same certification I would use it. ( I could tell that the Delo was the thicker of the 2 as I poured it in, even though they were the same grade and came from the same place in my garage so they would be the same temperature.)

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/...11107-1719.jpg

Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That doesn't look to bad at all. Just dirty fuel.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you run any two-cycle oil?Mine will be dark(full in bowl green)when I change mine.I figure it is the blue oil.
Iwould not loose any sleep over it.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM
brownie83
Posting Guru
i had the same problem...was injector oring...not sure which one, but after replacing them, the filter is always clean. a good check would be to install a new filter, in about 300 miles mine turned black again. check the new filter every so often to see if there is a black tint. i only used about 2-3 quarts in an oil change. but my filter was black as coal. this way you can be sure its an oring, and not something else. good luck

Old 11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bulla
That doesn't look to bad at all. Just dirty fuel.
I would think so too, but I only get fuel from the 11 Stations that I change the filters at, we run through 4-8k gallons of diesel everyday so i don't think it is dirty fuel. When I dropped the tank and cleaned the screens in the mixing bowl they were dark like that but really plugged up. The tank was fairly clean. I usually change my fuel filters every 10k.
I have never added any oil to the tank, I have added some Power Service cleaner and cetane boost to the tank a few times, I used the quart over 3 or 4 fillups. I never saw much of a difference.

Note:
When I used to drive my Cummins all the time back before I got the Ford, I used to chase the lowest fuel price and I paid for it in fuel filters. I would only get 7-10k on my filters.
When I started buying my fuel from where I work, ( they started paying for the fuel), I watched my fuel pressure gauge and I ran over 25k on the same filter and when I pulled it, it looked cleaner then any of the previous ones I had ever changed..... I have not had any filter problems since then.

Last edited by Nsaan; 11-07-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added note
Old 11-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brownie83
i had the same problem...was injector oring...not sure which one, but after replacing them, the filter is always clean. a good check would be to install a new filter, in about 300 miles mine turned black again. check the new filter every so often to see if there is a black tint. i only used about 2-3 quarts in an oil change. but my filter was black as coal. this way you can be sure its an oring, and not something else. good luck
That is about the amount of oil i have to add between changes. I never did check the oil level this change, I know bad on me, but when I drained it in the 5 gallon bucket I only got about 3.5 gallons, or a little more then half a bucket.

Oh can I say that I LOVE my fumoto oil drain valve! It is the only way to go. It is the first Mod I do to all my trucks.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Amen to that! The fumoto valve is really the ticket to changing oil. No mess. I can even drain my oil back into my 1 gal buckets and never have to use a drain pan.

Do like the other fella said and pull your filter in a couple hundred miles!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Mine is usually black when I change it out too, but no oil use between changes. I always thought it was normal. Now you have me wondering, too.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Unless you have the FRX or regulated return, it's not your engine oil, because the fuel can't get back out once it's in the heads. The black fuel filter is only an indication of leaking o-rings on 97 and older stock fuel systems, our fuel system has to be modified to let the oily fuel back out to the filter.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 AM
brownie83
Posting Guru
that is not what i was told when i had my issue. might just be coincidence, but it fixed my black filter

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Subscribing...My boss and I fuel at the same places and his filter is black in 8k, mine still white....

Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM
HH60FE
Posting Guru
Black fuel filtr was the deciding factor that lead me to change injector o rings too, and I had two that were bypassing. That and the fact that I was loosing oil back into the fuel system. Can I trace a drop of fuel in my superduty, no, but how else does the oil bypass a bad injector oring and return through the fuel filter? School is open and I'm ready to learn!!!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
If the o ring separating the oil from the fuel is leaking on the injector, the oil will over pressure the fuel, sending oil into the furl bowl. Once in the fuel bowl it can be circulated back to the tank. If you have a frx and the same o ring goes the fuel can be pushed straight to the return line and into the tank.

Note: when you pull injectors and an o ring is broke or torn, it can only be the one between the oil and fuel ports to cause this. But also remember that 3000 psi is alot of pressure and if a small leak can start, the o ring could easily be cut or washed by the oil itself. I am no teacher by anymeans, just sharing what I feel I have learned. I can be schooled as well!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
clux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bulla
If the o ring separating the oil from the fuel is leaking on the injector, the oil will over pressure the fuel, sending oil into the furl bowl.
How does it get past the check valves in the head on the stock system?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Good question! Trying to remember if it was in fact a check valve. When I removed mine I remember thinking " how does this work" then drilled it out! Someone else may chim in. If not I'll have to find another one to dig into. Still at 3000 psi it would take a decent valve to stop the flow.

Quick Reply: Black Fuel Filter