Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior User

mclarengts is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 Short Bed Dually vs regular F350 Dually

So today I saw this Shortbed Dually. I've always known that they are rare but I never knew how rare. But apparently they are special order. So my question is 1. What's the pros/cons of the short bed Dually vs the regular bed Dually. 2, how is the resale compare between the the two? Should these be typically priced higher or lower. 3. Is there anything to look for when checking this truck out? I forgot it's a 2008 6.4l shorted Dually, 115k miles, i think its a XLT and they are asking $28,900. I'm looking for all the info you guys can offer.. Also if you need me to ask any questions to the dealor, let me know ill ask
Thanks

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Senior User

Ricson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats one good looking truck. Love the look of a short bed dually.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
The only difference is wheelbase, 15 inches in the bed and 9 gallons in the fuel tank. It is not a special order configuration, it is just an order. Nothing special about it.

Rare? Probably, but rare does not always mean desirable. One of the rarest production Chevrolet Impalas from the early 1960's was the 1964 Impala SS with a 6 cylinder engine. Just under 2000 were made. They are as rare as hens teeth these days.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Posting Guru

MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.
I own one. Had 25k on it and has a V-10. It sat on the dealers lot 7 months before I went after it. It was probably hard for them to sell because most dually owners want the longer wheelbase. Resale? Gotta find someone who wants it. I paid considerably less for this truck than a higher mileage SRW crew cab 350 with the same trim level. Probably wouldn't have lasted 7 months had it been a long bed. Pro's & Con's? Short bed vs long bed, do you need a long bed? That's about the only thing. Search the 6.4 diesel forum for answers on the diesel.

Nice lookin truck!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Postmaster

rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.rollerstud98 has a great reputation on FTE.
5th wheel hauling you just have to watch your corners more when reversing with the short box, but the truck can turn a slightly tighter circle. If you have it for a truck camper, then usually the longer box is better, unless you have a camper made for short boxes, then they are usually fine with out a dually even.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Posting Guru

MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.MDSuperDuty has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford View Post
The only difference is wheelbase, 15 inches in the bed and 9 gallons in the fuel tank.

This would be my only "con". My mileage is limited to about 240 miles with the smaller fuel tank.
2005 F150 Ext Cab, SWB, 5.4V8, 4x4 (traded 01/08)
1996 F150 Ext Cab, SWB, 4.9 I6, 5spd, 4x2 (Sold) This truck started it all!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Senior User

steven06 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty View Post
This would be my only "con". My mileage is limited to about 240 miles with the smaller fuel tank.
Wow 240 to a tank would drive me nuts. How big is your fuel tank. I get around 550-650.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Posting Guru

I think 32 or 29. Can't remember. I'll put 24 gal in at each fill up, I'm not running it dry. V10's are thirsty buggers!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Senior User

Yeah I guess. My dad has one and always complains bout it, but never really thought it was that bad.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Posting Guru

I get 10 mpgs consistently but a similar mileage diesel unit would have cost me around $5-7,000 more. Plus the 6.4 diesel seemed to get poor mileage, at least that's what I've heard. It's all one big money pie in the end, we just slice it differently. More up front or more times at the pump. Probably works out more even between the two than we think.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Senior User

mclarengts is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like I can get a better deal on a regular bed than this one
Old 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarengts View Post
Looks like I can get a better deal on a regular bed than this one

Sounds like that dealer is trying to make that truck out to be something magical .
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior User

Quote:
I get 10 mpgs consistently but a similar mileage diesel unit would have cost me around $5-7,000 more. Plus the 6.4 diesel seemed to get poor mileage, at least that's what I've heard. It's all one big money pie in the end, we just slice it differently. More up front or more times at the pump. Probably works out more even between the two than we think.
You are prolly more right than you think. Given the price of diesel and that I get between 13-15 its right about the same I figure. I just stumbled into a really good deal on this truck and I tow quite often. My dads V-10 gets 14!!!! swear just ask him lol.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a very good reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a very good reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a very good reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Sounds like that dealer is trying to make that truck out to be something magical .
Yep, sounds they are claiming it's some limited edition or something. It probably was something that the original owner had to order that way, but that's only because you wouldn't be likely to find one sitting on a dealer's lot. Their price is high considering the mileage. Wouldn't be a bad deal if the truck had low miles, but no way would I be paying almost $30K for a truck with over 100K miles on it.

Definitely a nice looking truck though. Wouldn't be a bad deal if you could get them to come down on the price little.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
Wouldn't be a bad deal if the truck had low miles, but no way would I be paying almost $30K for a truck with over 100K miles on it.
These were my thoughts when I first read this thread. Mine had only 25k miles upon purchase and it was no where near the price for that truck and yes I know the diesel gives a higher price tag. And I dont care how long a diesel can last, it's the other wearable parts on a vehicle.

If you likethe truck, but have patience, make them and offer they CAN ,yes thats can, refuse and leave it at that. If they want to sell it bad enough they'll call you.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1997, 2005, 2006, 350, bed, beds, diesel, dually, f350, f350dually, ford, long, red, review, short