1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Starter solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Starter solenoid

Last Friday, when turning the ignition switch, the starter would spin, but not engage the flexplate. It only did it a couple times, and would work after several attempts. Didn't leave me stranded, but I decided to replace the starter and solenoid to be safe as this is my daily driver. Changed them out Friday night. Worked fine over the weekend.

Flash forward to this morning. Go out and try to start the truck and the starter is staying engaged and spinning the motor with the ignition off and key out. Popped the hood and pulled off the "s" wire to the solenoid with no change, then pulled off the ground cable by hand. Guess I didn't have it that tight. Anyway, It looks like the solenoid is stuck on. Jumped into the other truck and went to work.

Brand new Nascar Select solenoid. Probably made in China and will check the box when I get home. Common? The rebuilt starter had a sticker recommending replacing the solenoid.... Starter works good. Spins the motor over faster than the old one did. Old starter had an old Motorcraft sticker on it. In fact, everything under the hood looked original when I got it. Motorcraft hoses, wires, everything, like it was maintained at a dealer for its life.

Now I am just rambling...

Oh the joys of an old truck....

Old 11-07-2011, 11:30 AM
f100jim
Elder User
I have not experienced this yet, but judging from numerous posts like yours over the past year or two, it seems to be a very common problem. A lot of people are reporting new solenoids sticking shut. I don't know where you can get a good quality one anymore.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Think I am going to put the old one back in....

Pretty poor. The new one worked like 3 or 4 times then stuck.

The old one looks like original, 29 years old and hundreds, if not thousands of starts. Still worked when removed.

Also thinking I should have kept the old starter instead of turning it in for the core charge.

They do NOT make them like they used to.....

Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Motorcraft [original] are still available. I purchased one a few months ago @ O'Reilly's. It was something like $27.00.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
That is where I got this one, So I will trade it in.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just be sure to look at the box, country of origin is supposed to be on it. The welded together solenoid problem is real common with the Chinese crap metal. Long term solution, get one of the PMGR starters then the solenoid only turns on a smaller load.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
PMGR? Pot Metal Goofball Ricer?

I assume you are talking about a gear reduction starter?

Think I am going to go get a few spare original solenoids from the JY. Hmmm. What did the diesels use for a solenoid? Extra heavy duty?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Sure enough, Made in China. Put the old solenoid back in (motorcraft with a D5 date code) and it works fine.

The guy behind the counter had the same problem with his Honda solenoid, another BWD Nascar Select.

$14 worth of credit towards a new $31 Motorcraft solenoid. Should have it tomorrow. Unless it says Made in China.....

Maybe I could rig up a knife switch and start it by hand....

Is BWD the same as Borg Warner? And does Nascar know they are putting their name on crap(my opinion) parts?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
I sent an email to both BWD and Nascar. BWD is owned by SMP (Standard Motor Products), or vice versa. Very convoluted contact page. Nascar already sent back a canned automated response.

I don't expect to really hear from either, even though I did provide a phone number.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Even some Motorcraft parts are Made in China. I'm looking at a Motorcraft fuel filter right now that says so right on the box. Blame whomever you will, but its a real shame what has happened to the U.S. manufacturing industry.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Like I said before, If the Motorcraft solenoid says Made in China, then I am going to return it, and go to the JY and get several for spares.

A lot of it is the regulations we have put on ourselves for safety, minimum wage, etc. Can't deny it is cheaper to make the items overseas.

I am willing to pay more for quality.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Like I said before, If the Motorcraft solenoid says Made in China, then I am going to return it, and go to the JY and get several for spares.
Best Idea Yet !
The NEW Motorcraft solenoids ARE made in China.
Old stock from a place like Rockauto should be okay.

Bill is right.
After swapping too many solenoids I finally bought a PMGR (permanent magnetic planetary gear reduction) starter.
It has the solenoid on it (like a stinking chevy) but it cranks just fine and only draws 40A to pull and 13A to hold.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
I might have gotten a NOS Motorcraft solenoid. E7 date code and does not say where made, but does have the Ford address in Dearborn, Mich. Stamped on the bracket with the FoMoCo part number.

Kinda skeered to try it.... But have to to rule out bad.... right?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Go for it!!!

Have a hammer handy to save your starter and try it a dozen times before you shut the hood and drive away/

Where is the date code?

The engineering number is just telling you when the part was designed, and for what.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Go for it!!!

Have a hammer handy to save your starter and try it a dozen times before you shut the hood and drive away/
I have the batt negative cable a little loose so it can be pulled off the battery easy.

May try it this weekend, but the old one still works like a champ.

Date/engineering code... blah. It says 1997 which makes me think NOS. Box looks old too.

Quick Reply: Starter solenoid