Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

#3 57 F100 Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#3 57 F100 Restomod

Just picked up #3 in the Ford line. Starting a thread here for the restore. Plan is a restomod upgrade the running gear and maybe some slight body modifications. Motor is supposed to be a true 312 but that remains to be seen. If it is it will stay put if not it will probably get shelved for something else.

New project restomod 57 F100 LWB BBW.

Getting ready to load and head to a new home.

Loaded and ready to go.

Good friends helping me get it home. Thanks Ken and Jim. It was an all day journey.

Stopped for photo op on Sherman pass. Checking to make sure the load is still secure.

New home till spring. Tucked away for the winter. Just wiping all of the road deicer off the pristine chrome grill. How the grille stayed this straight and undamaged is beyond me.

Just a look at the back of the bed and the BBW.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:43 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru

Parts truck that will donate a few parts next week

More parts from this one.

Parts

and more parts

Same truck as before more parts.

Interior may yield a few parts. Who knows.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
It looks like you are starting with a nice solid truck there.

And it looks like you found the parts you need. Which can be hard to do with that age truck.

Hopefully it's got the 312 in it.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:14 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman75
It looks like you are starting with a nice solid truck there.

And it looks like you found the parts you need. Which can be hard to do with that age truck.

Hopefully it's got the 312 in it.
Looks like the weather is about to turn bad here for the first time this year. Yeah Murphy is with me. Probably be laying in the snow getting the parts. What else is new. I studied up a little on the Y block and it looks like if I can get the oil pan dropped without to much trouble I should find out by the letters on the main bearing caps just what the motor really is. I would love it to be a 312 and come up with some of the old finned aluminum TBird valve covers. I have a cast 4 barrel intake manifold for it.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Buzz44
Looks like the weather is about to turn bad here for the first time this year. Yeah Murphy is with me. Probably be laying in the snow getting the parts. What else is new. I studied up a little on the Y block and it looks like if I can get the oil pan dropped without to much trouble I should find out by the letters on the main bearing caps just what the motor really is. I would love it to be a 312 and come up with some of the old finned aluminum TBird valve covers. I have a cast 4 barrel intake manifold for it.
I know all about old Murphy! My brother's caravan decided to lock up one of the rear wheels during a snow storm tonight. And one of my dad's caravan's decided to start leaking coolant. And to top it all off the temps are suppose to drop below zero here while I get to fix it all. I feel like I won the murphy's law lotto!

Even if it's not a 312, the 272 & 292's are great engines too. The 239's are the only odd duck Y-blocks that are the one's to avoid. The old Y-blocks do look cool all decked out in vintage Hi-po parts. I've also been interested in having one with either 3-2V's or 2-4V's. Do you know if your Y-block is still free? Or is it seized up?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
I know all about old Murphy! My brother's caravan decided to lock up one of the rear wheels during a snow storm tonight. And one of my dad's caravan's decided to start leaking coolant. And to top it all off the temps are suppose to drop below zero here while I get to fix it all. I feel like I won the murphy's law lotto!

Even if it's not a 312, the 272 & 292's are great engines too. The 239's are the only odd duck Y-blocks that are the one's to avoid. The old Y-blocks do look cool all decked out in vintage Hi-po parts. I've also been interested in having one with either 3-2V's or 2-4V's. Do you know if your Y-block is still free? Or is it seized up?
Jess the young man I bought it from said he had it running but could not get it to move. So he said the trans was shot but it ran ok. Im hoping that was not a story we shall see.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:41 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Jess the young man I bought it from said he had it running but could not get it to move. So he said the trans was shot but it ran ok. Im hoping that was not a story we shall see.
Well then maybe some fresh points & condensor, a carb rebuild and some fresh gas and you'll have it running again.

If you want to stay with an automatic I'd look into swapping in a C4 or an AOD. There is a lot more aftermarket support for them then for the old Fordomatics. Of coarse a manual transmission would be a lot more fun to drive!!

Old 12-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Well then maybe some fresh points & condensor, a carb rebuild and some fresh gas and you'll have it running again.

If you want to stay with an automatic I'd look into swapping in a C4 or an AOD. There is a lot more aftermarket support for them then for the old Fordomatics. Of coarse a manual transmission would be a lot more fun to drive!!
Yup I was looking at Mumerts site and doing a lot of dreaming. Looks like the 5speed overdrive will be the ticket for a manual trans or that C4 if I stay auto. Looks like he supplies all the needed hardware to get the job done. Just have to supply the trans in either case. So we shall see when we find out for sure what that y block is sitting under the hood. May even do the rebuild and use the 292 if that is what it is. Im getting pretty anxious to find out what that motor really is.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:15 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Yup I was looking at Mumerts site and doing a lot of dreaming. Looks like the 5speed overdrive will be the ticket for a manual trans or that C4 if I stay auto. Looks like he supplies all the needed hardware to get the job done. Just have to supply the trans in either case. So we shall see when we find out for sure what that y block is sitting under the hood. May even do the rebuild and use the 292 if that is what it is. Im getting pretty anxious to find out what that motor really is.

I know which transmission I'd prefer. I like shifting my own gears.

Well I hope you find out it's a 312! But no matter which one you should have a good engine to build.

Y-blocks have a very cool exhaust note to them.

Here's one of my favorite's. The 57 battle bird with a stroked 312.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Made that trip to Yakima for some used parts to help get the truck looking a little respectable on the road this spring.

Passenger side fender to go in place of the rusted and messed up fender on the truck right now.

Messed up fender to be replaced

Messed up lower grille to be replaced. It could be repaired but wanted to start with something just a little straighter.

Lower grille needs a few taps of a hammer and dolly or slap hammer and it will look a lot better than what is on the truck now.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 AM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Those parts should save you a lot of time and hassle.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Those parts should save you a lot of time and hassle.
Ha Ha not to concerned with time. I have more than enough of that. Its the hassle that I am more concerned about..... LOL.... If I can get it on the road this spring just might rat rod it around for a few years till I get far enough along on my 63.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:44 PM
ford_pickup
Elder User
nice score on a nice truck

Old 01-24-2015, 02:56 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
nice score on a nice truck
Thanks.... here is one more pic of the interior that I found. Its still in pretty good shape.