Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Conversion Followup Question.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:52 PM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Conversion Followup Question.

Hey all, I don't mean to sound like a broken record asking about this 4x4 conversion on my 1996 Dually, however I do have one more question that I hope someone can answer for me.

I just got off the phone with Dynatrac inc in Long Beach, CA.They told me that they "dont know" whether or not the dually hub "adapter" will fit for sure. I want to use a monobeam Dana 60 on the front of my truck when I do this 4x4 conversion. however I was wondering about the front Dually hub and rotor that are on it now. Will it fit on the Solid Axle Dana 60? Are there any modifications that need to be done for the installation of the Dually hub?

Thanks,

Rob.

Semper Fi Do or Die!

Old 12-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
You just remove your Single wheel hub and put on the Dual wheel hub. it is That simple

Old 12-20-2011, 04:12 PM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
See, thats what I thought. The guy at dynatrac confused me when he started talking about an adapter.

Thanks Brad.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you can buy an adapter or use stock D60 DRW 4x4 HUBS.
however,ford never offered a DRW pickup 4x4 (prior to 1999.)
so the only way your going to find stock DRW hubs for a 4x4,is from a donor truck that was a f350 cab and chassis 4wd.
you also need the brake rotors to match.
the DRW HUBS on the truck in your avatar,will be 2wd DRW front HUBS,and will not work for your new front axle.

now,
if you go with an adapter.
(i suggest the AA4 from arrowcraft)
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
then you simply bolt these onto your front 4wd front end,and your done.

if you need a 4x4 im going to suggest just starting with a 4wd truck.if you need a 4wd dually,that's easy as pie to build,compared to what your about to do.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:54 AM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you can buy an adapter or use stock D60 DRW 4x4 HUBS.
however,ford never offered a DRW pickup 4x4 (prior to 1999.)
so the only way your going to find stock DRW hubs for a 4x4,is from a donor truck that was a f350 cab and chassis 4wd.
you also need the brake rotors to match.
the DRW HUBS on the truck in your avatar,will be 2wd DRW front HUBS,and will not work for your new front axle.

now,
if you go with an adapter.
(i suggest the AA4 from arrowcraft)
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
then you simply bolt these onto your front 4wd front end,and your done.

if you need a 4x4 im going to suggest just starting with a 4wd truck.if you need a 4wd dually,that's easy as pie to build,compared to what your about to do.
Well, my issue is that this truck belonged to my father who passed away of lung cancer back in 2006 and it was his truck. I simply refuse to get rid of it. My other issue is that I am moving out to pennsylvania (Johnstown to be exact) next summer and would like to have a 4 wheel drive to get me through the winters. And if you dont mind me asking, whatmakes building a 4x4 dually so much easier, rather than starting with a 4x4 truck? And why would you say that its much easier than what im about to do? Just out of curiousity.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BigRedDooly96
Well, my issue is that this truck belonged to my father who passed away of lung cancer back in 2006 and it was his truck. I simply refuse to get rid of it. My other issue is that I am moving out to pennsylvania (Johnstown to be exact) next summer and would like to have a 4 wheel drive to get me through the winters. And if you dont mind me asking, whatmakes building a 4x4 dually so much easier, rather than starting with a 4x4 truck? And why would you say that its much easier than what im about to do? Just out of curiousity.
If starting w a 4wd truck already, all you need to do is bolt on the front adapters(30min) and either swap a dually rear axle(2-3hours) OR bolt on adapters (10 min), then bolt on a set of dually fenders or a dually bed(2 hours) so a total of less than 8 hours.

If starting with a 2wd Dually you will need to make front spring hangers and bolt in rear spring hangers and bolt in an axle(about 16 hours) then you still need to swap out the 2wd trans for a 4wd trans, add a transfercase, and modify driveshafts.

But I understand YOUR reason for converting YOUR truck

Old 12-21-2011, 12:49 PM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
If starting w a 4wd truck already, all you need to do is bolt on the front adapters(30min) and either swap a dually rear axle(2-3hours) OR bolt on adapters (10 min), then bolt on a set of dually fenders or a dually bed(2 hours) so a total of less than 8 hours.

If starting with a 2wd Dually you will need to make front spring hangers and bolt in rear spring hangers and bolt in an axle(about 16 hours) then you still need to swap out the 2wd trans for a 4wd trans, add a transfercase, and modify driveshafts.

But I understand YOUR reason for converting YOUR truck
Well, my plan is to use a reverse shackle kit on the front and with any luck ill get the measurements correct. Im going to order lift springs from national spring for the front and back. Hopefully all I will have to do is mount rear spring hangers on the front and swap out the ones on the back. As far as the tranny goes, im just going to try and locate a divorced np205 so I can keep my original trans. Now if I can just locate me a dana 60 I think ill be ok haha.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Have a read here. It's basicly the same thing you're doin, just 2wd DRW to 4wd SRW...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dana-60-a.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-mistress.html

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I remember correctly, the drw trucks have 2.5" springs instead of 3" for clearance and have a little wider rear axle. I have 2 cab/chassis trucks with 460s and I was sure they were different.
Personally I'd do a 4x4 conversion and keep the coils from the 2wd. I've wanted to convert my 4door longbed to 4x4 (I had asked about converting a dual wheel front to a single wheel a little earlier) I was just going to do trailing arms like a half ton. Or get creative and do a 4link like the superduty vans. I am tired of how leaf springs ride bad. But of you reverse the shackles it will be better.
I have used aftermarket spacers for dual wheels also. They work just fine.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
If I remember correctly, the drw trucks have 2.5" springs instead of 3" for clearance and have a little wider rear axle. I have 2 cab/chassis trucks with 460s and I was sure they were different.
Personally I'd do a 4x4 conversion and keep the coils from the 2wd. I've wanted to convert my 4door longbed to 4x4 (I had asked about converting a dual wheel front to a single wheel a little earlier) I was just going to do trailing arms like a half ton. Or get creative and do a 4link like the superduty vans. I am tired of how leaf springs ride bad. But of you reverse the shackles it will be better.
I have used aftermarket spacers for dual wheels also. They work just fine.
Only the cab-n-chassis trucks have the 2.25" springs. Dually oickups have 3" wide springs

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Only the cab-n-chassis trucks have the 2.25" springs. Dually oickups have 3" wide springs
I was gonna say. Being a dually, as soon as I decided that I was going to begin this project, that was one of the first measurements that I made. Mine are 3 inch springs.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aah. Good to know. Ive never had anything but a cab/chassis truck dually.
Always lots of info to be found by just talking.
(the wife asks me if I learned something new at work... I guess I should start saying yes)

Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Aah. Good to know. Ive never had anything but a cab/chassis truck dually.
Always lots of info to be found by just talking.
(the wife asks me if I learned something new at work... I guess I should start saying yes)
Everytime I log in to FTE I learn something new. Its kind of irritating because it changes my perspective on things and makes me want to ask more questions. Haha. I KNOW ford trucks. Especially the ones ive owned but when you keep asking those questions theres no way to avoid feeling like a complete dummy haha.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM
cozzb
Freshman User
Too bad you are west coast. I have a whole Dually D60 out of a 93 i believe. (ball joints and slide pin calipers) that is for sale.

I also have a set of 4x4 dually hubs and rotors.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM
BigRedDooly96
Freshman User
Originally Posted by cozzb
Too bad you are west coast. I have a whole Dually D60 out of a 93 i believe. (ball joints and slide pin calipers) that is for sale.

I also have a set of 4x4 dually hubs and rotors.
Funny you should say that. Im actually moving to pennsylvania in the early summer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 Conversion Followup Question.