Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
New User

qepv25a is starting off with a positive reputation.
timing chain problems?

I have a 99 expedition, 5.4 with 4X4. We pull a 6,000 lb travel trailer. when pulling up a grade the engine sounds like a tin can with rocks in it when you shake the can. I started using premium and the condition lessened. Now it happens less but the engine still will do it under extreme conditions, 3500rpms or so. All the cops have been replaced and it is tuned up. It has 155,000 miles on it. I read somewhere that a bad timing chain may cause this sort of problem. I was hoping that someone may have run into this probem. It is rated to pull 7500lbs., so we are at the upper limits of its tow capacity. Another problem started last week. A chemical smell and vapor come from the vents when the heater or air is on. It has a smell like antifreeze. Any ideas on this. On the timing chain any ideas on the cost to replace. Thanks in advance. Bob
Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Senior User

fixit5561 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cant help with the timing chain.

The smell of antifreeze and the vapor means you have a leaking heater core. Even with the air on the heater core still has the coolant running through it to some extent.
Other Mods opened up thru fender snorkle for air intake to 3" dia. opening, and cut off all the air chambers and plugged the holes. (poor mans cold air intake that cost $15.00 LOL) Added a cooling fan and controller to the stock trans oil cooler.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Postmaster

Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
Exactly as fixit5561 said, heater core! While you are doing that I suggest that you replace the blend door also, as that is a common failure. A good radiator shop will charge about $450.00 and do both. If you get a better price tell the world as there are sure to be others in your area that will need this done this winter.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Senior User

turborich is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds to me like it has nothing to do with the timing chain and more to do with spark knock. If a higher grade of fuel lessened the knocking noise then perhaps you have carbon build up or an EGR problem? Does it run hot while towing? Heat can cause the pinging noise as well.

I tow a 3000lb camper with my 2000 5.4 expedition and it has 148k with no issues except for the lack of power the 5.4 exhibits while climbing grades.

Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
99, belt, chain, expedition, ford, i290, lincoln, navigtor, noise, oise, problems, slipping, timing, troubleshoot, truck