Electric brakes on Winnebago

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM
jaywalkin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric brakes on Winnebago

Hi folks, I've searched the forum and came up empty---1998 Winnie class A on a Ford chassis with factory tow plug. Just got a car-haul trailer w/electric brakes. Installed Tekonsha Voyager controller. It doesn't recognize trailer. The owner manuals (Ford and Winnie) both have diagrams for the recepticale which don't even include a pin for the brakes. What am I missing? Thanks

Jerry

Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
Maybe missing the relays? Look under the hood - drivers side in front of brake booster?

Old 11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by jaywalkin
Hi folks, I've searched the forum and came up empty---1998 Winnie class A on a Ford chassis with factory tow plug. Just got a car-haul trailer w/electric brakes. Installed Tekonsha Voyager controller. It doesn't recognize trailer. The owner manuals (Ford and Winnie) both have diagrams for the recepticale which don't even include a pin for the brakes. What am I missing? Thanks

Jerry
You are installing a controller just like you would in a truck without one. The seven pin receptacle will have a pin, but it sounds like no wire to it. If so, you are going to have to run lead from the controller to the pin. I suspect what you have at the receptacle are the pins to work the lights on a toad (a small car or pick-up) that most class A motor homes tow. The braking systems on a toad are independent and do not rely on a standard brake controller in the coach.

Do you actually have a seven pin or just a four pin receptacle. You could have either, but in any case, I would not expect a class A motor home to be wired with a lead for a brake controller.

Steve

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
jaywalkin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trailer brakes

Thanks Steve---actually it's a 6 pin socket. It sounds as if I will have to run separate wire to the trailer plug to get brakes. Am I right?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:30 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jaywalkin
Thanks Steve---actually it's a 6 pin socket. It sounds as if I will have to run separate wire to the trailer plug to get brakes. Am I right?
Yes, in my experience the only motor homes wired for brake controllers used them on the tag axle when the motor home manufacturer added an additional rear axle and even those were very few and far between. They also were not installed for a braking system on anything towed behind.

If I were were towing behind a motor home with a trailer, which I guess is what you are doing, I would install a proper seven pin transfering the wires from the six pin and then run a line for your brakes. May take a little time, but should be pretty straight forward.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 11-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Otahyoni
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't the 6 pin have a brake pin? We've got a couple g/n trailers with 6 round plugs....

Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Otahyoni
Doesn't the 6 pin have a brake pin? We've got a couple g/n trailers with 6 round plugs....
In this case, it has the pin, but doesn't have the lead feeding it which is why the OPs controller can't find the trailer. It sounds like it is also missing in the wiring diagram. I suggested switching to a seven pin as I suspect whatever he tows will likely have a seven pin lead and he will not have to worry about an adapter. You can certainly correct, a standard six pin will have a brake pin.

Steve

Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
What I would do in this case is to first take some time at the rear of the Winnebago to see what I have. Motor homes are a real soup to nut mix when it comes to wiring for toads. The receptacle on the rear often sees little use so they also tend to be corroded. I would count the wires at the receptacle and take voltage readings to see what I have and don't have. Owners also often drag the rear ends tearing away wires, etc.

Another very simple thing you can do because Winnebago historically has a much better tech support than many companies is call them on the phone and ask. That will take away the possibility of wasting time.

I hate working on the wiring for the signal hookup on motorhomes because it can be maddening trying to trace wires when there is no standard. Some are not so bad, others just crazy.

Steve