1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ice free windows ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 PM
bigblue61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried some spray that melted ice on contact which worked well when there was very very little ice on the windshield. What about putting vodka on the windshield the night before?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 AM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I buy the winter blend of windshield cleaner, start truck, turn on defroster wait about 2 minutes then hit the squirters and usually good to go.
Heh I've had a whole jug of -35°C washer fluid freeze up before. Then I started buying the -50°C stuff. When it's spread over a thin film it still freezes up regardless. Sometimes I forget and use the washer fluid spray button and it ends up getting harder to see through than if I hadn't done so.

Electric cab heater feature is pretty nice for this purpose though.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:23 AM
The Metal Panda
Senior User
Originally Posted by dualwheels66
I buy the winter blend of windshield cleaner
Originally Posted by bigblue61
What about putting vodka on the windshield the night before?
I did buy some RainX winter washer fluid.

And thatd be a waste of good vodka

So the shelter thing was a no, cardboard is a no, block heater is a no. AH this is annoying. I HATE winter

Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
I use the windshield covers,,,,they attach with magnets. We get snow and sometimes down below 10 degrees with a lot of ice I have used a lot of de-icer which works also.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Originally Posted by The Metal Panda
Im thinkin about building something like this.

Except way smaller. Just something i can pull the cab under.
My dad parks outside too, and he parks right next to my truck. So he might be down for this. Plus that would be free for me except helping him build it.

reminds me of a Metro bus stop cover thingie, but bigger

Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by pappy19
If you have or install a block heater, then keep it plugged in all night with the heater temp on cold (that keeps the heated rad water inside the engine), then go out and start the engine. Open the heater and put the temp on hot with defrost on high. Go inside and drink a cup of coffee. When you come back out, the windshield will be thawed. This is the college way. When you graduate and make those big bucks, then you can aford an alarm/remote start system after your first paycheck.

Pap
I`m the opposite. I plug in and then leave the dial all the way in the heated side. Warm air rises up during night and in morn windshield is clear and a warm engine.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Rudiak
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Heet windshield de-icer works very good.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hanklin
I`m the opposite. I plug in and then leave the dial all the way in the heated side. Warm air rises up during night and in morn windshield is clear and a warm engine.

Maybe I am wrong, but if the heater valve is closed then the coolant won't go through the heater core and it will take less electricity to keep the coolant warm just in the engine block vs the entire hose system to/from the heater core. Thoughts??

Pap

Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM
rs4-380
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by pappy19
Maybe I am wrong, but if the heater valve is closed then the coolant won't go through the heater core and it will take less electricity to keep the coolant warm just in the engine block vs the entire hose system to/from the heater core. Thoughts??

Pap
pretty sure the block heaters don't cycle on/off. if they are plugged in they are on, which means no matter how big the body of fluid they are heating is they are always going to use the same amount of electricity.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
The temperature control dial has no effect on the heater control valve, nor on coolant flow. The heater control valve is closed by vacuum when the heater selector control is on MAX A/C and OFF. All other positions it is open. If you leave your truck turned off long enough, vacuum is going to bleed off and the valve is going to open anyway.

The temperature control dial only controls the position of the blend door.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

I just read my post from yesterday. Sorry for all the misspellings, Im on percasets for a workplace fight with a 3/4 impact gun.... that I lost.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
How 'bout just using a heater in the cab? Plug it into a timer so it's not on all night. Wake up to a warm cab and thawed windows.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
The Metal Panda
Senior User
Originally Posted by ak-angler
How 'bout just using a heater in the cab? Plug it into a timer so it's not on all night. Wake up to a warm cab and thawed windows.
I wouldnt trust that at all. I'll take the risk of icy windows over a fire any day

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My dad leaves for work at 5:30 and for the last few years he's been laying a thermal (or other waterproof material) blanket across the windshield of his commuter car in the evening. He holds it down by shutting the top corners in the doors and lower edge under the wipers. Works great, in the morning you remove the icy/snowy blanket and you're good to go with a dry windshield.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:05 PM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by ak-angler
X2. They make ones specific to autos but the little ceramic cube ones work well. They have a t-stat, the housings don't get hot and they have tip over protection. We use them all the time up here in Canada.

Quick Reply: Ice free windows ideas?