Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 PM
Senior User

bigblue61 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I tried some spray that melted ice on contact which worked well when there was very very little ice on the windshield. What about putting vodka on the windshield the night before?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Posting Guru

TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.TRENT310 has a spectacular reputation.
TRENT310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualwheels66 View Post
I buy the winter blend of windshield cleaner, start truck, turn on defroster wait about 2 minutes then hit the squirters and usually good to go.
Heh I've had a whole jug of -35°C washer fluid freeze up before. Then I started buying the -50°C stuff. When it's spread over a thin film it still freezes up regardless. Sometimes I forget and use the washer fluid spray button and it ends up getting harder to see through than if I hadn't done so.

Electric cab heater feature is pretty nice for this purpose though.

1994 RAM 2500 - SLT Laramie 4x4 RCLB 5.9L 6BT NV4500 (Project)
2009 Tundra - SR5 4x2 RCLB 5.7L 4.30:1 (Sold)
Others: 1995 F-350HD DRW 4x2 CCFB 7.3L-T444E PSD // 2004 F-350SD SRW 4x4 CCLB 6.0L-VT365 PSD.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Senior User

The Metal Panda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualwheels66 View Post
I buy the winter blend of windshield cleaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue61 View Post
What about putting vodka on the windshield the night before?
I did buy some RainX winter washer fluid.

And thatd be a waste of good vodka

So the shelter thing was a no, cardboard is a no, block heater is a no. AH this is annoying. I HATE winter
Old 11-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Senior User

CPaulsen is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use the windshield covers,,,,they attach with magnets. We get snow and sometimes down below 10 degrees with a lot of ice I have used a lot of de-icer which works also.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Elder User

Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.Hotpocket has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Metal Panda View Post
Im thinkin about building something like this.
Click the image to open in full size.

Except way smaller. Just something i can pull the cab under.
My dad parks outside too, and he parks right next to my truck. So he might be down for this. Plus that would be free for me except helping him build it.

reminds me of a Metro bus stop cover thingie, but bigger

2004 F250 5.4 XLT FX4 3'' lift on 305s Diablosport tuned 270k +
Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
If you have or install a block heater, then keep it plugged in all night with the heater temp on cold (that keeps the heated rad water inside the engine), then go out and start the engine. Open the heater and put the temp on hot with defrost on high. Go inside and drink a cup of coffee. When you come back out, the windshield will be thawed. This is the college way. When you graduate and make those big bucks, then you can aford an alarm/remote start system after your first paycheck.

Pap
I`m the opposite. I plug in and then leave the dial all the way in the heated side. Warm air rises up during night and in morn windshield is clear and a warm engine.

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Senior User

Rudiak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Heet windshield de-icer works very good.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Posting Guru

pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanklin View Post
I`m the opposite. I plug in and then leave the dial all the way in the heated side. Warm air rises up during night and in morn windshield is clear and a warm engine.

Maybe I am wrong, but if the heater valve is closed then the coolant won't go through the heater core and it will take less electricity to keep the coolant warm just in the engine block vs the entire hose system to/from the heater core. Thoughts??

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10 4X4 Lariat, Supercab/Shortbed, Pueblo Gold/Black, Loaded, Custom Front/Rear bumpers from South Texas Outfitters,Duraflaps, Access bed cover, Weatherguard, Air Raid, Mike's 5-Star-SCT(BAD!!), Superhides, TransferFlow 47 gal tank, Rigid LED lights, Mag-Hytec rear dif cover, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Magnaflow,Firestone Airbags,Fumoto Drain Plug.
2007 Lincoln LT-wifers(Mike's 5-Star,Magnaflow,K&N, STO Monster Bumper)
1996 Bronco EB-Almost Stock,STO Monster Bumper
Old 11-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Junior User

rs4-380 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Maybe I am wrong, but if the heater valve is closed then the coolant won't go through the heater core and it will take less electricity to keep the coolant warm just in the engine block vs the entire hose system to/from the heater core. Thoughts??

Pap
pretty sure the block heaters don't cycle on/off. if they are plugged in they are on, which means no matter how big the body of fluid they are heating is they are always going to use the same amount of electricity.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
The temperature control dial has no effect on the heater control valve, nor on coolant flow. The heater control valve is closed by vacuum when the heater selector control is on MAX A/C and OFF. All other positions it is open. If you leave your truck turned off long enough, vacuum is going to bleed off and the valve is going to open anyway.

The temperature control dial only controls the position of the blend door.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 11-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Posting Guru

PA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputationPA-Mark has a superb reputation
I just read my post from yesterday. Sorry for all the misspellings, Im on percasets for a workplace fight with a 3/4 impact gun.... that I lost.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Senior User

ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.
How 'bout just using a heater in the cab? Plug it into a timer so it's not on all night. Wake up to a warm cab and thawed windows.

Mods:
Hedman Hedders, Transgo Tugger, Heated mirrors, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000
Old 11-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior User

The Metal Panda is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-angler View Post
How 'bout just using a heater in the cab? Plug it into a timer so it's not on all night. Wake up to a warm cab and thawed windows.
I wouldnt trust that at all. I'll take the risk of icy windows over a fire any day
Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
My dad leaves for work at 5:30 and for the last few years he's been laying a thermal (or other waterproof material) blanket across the windshield of his commuter car in the evening. He holds it down by shutting the top corners in the doors and lower edge under the wipers. Works great, in the morning you remove the icy/snowy blanket and you're good to go with a dry windshield.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Senior User

8iron is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-angler View Post
X2. They make ones specific to autos but the little ceramic cube ones work well. They have a t-stat, the housings don't get hot and they have tip over protection. We use them all the time up here in Canada.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM