Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone ever had a bad ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:05 PM
yankeerebel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever had a bad ignition switch?

Has anyone ever had their ignition switch go bad? If so, how did you finally pinpoint that is was the switch? Is there any way to test the switch while on the truck?

Old 11-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Marc S
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one go bad on my 70. One morning, the truck wouldn't turn over. I checked the solenoid first and it was fine. I then checked power at the switch and it was bad.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I had an issue with my radio cutting out, and it seemed to happen when something shimmied the truck (like a speed bump). It wouldn't have power for a while, then would randomly come back on. I noticed that when the radio was out, so were the windshield wipers, and anything else on the hot-in-ACC circuit. This pointed to the ignititon switch, since I could deduce that the issue was upstream. Once I suspected the ignition switch, I found that shaking the key would bring power back to the accessory loads. Bingo.

What is the specific issue in your case? The best way to test the ignition switch, or any switch, is a continuity check. Or, you can see where power drops off as Marc described above.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 PM
tellico racing
Posting Guru
When mine went out it would only power the ignition when I was cranking it over as soon as it fired and I let go of the key it would die.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM
pidaster
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew mine was bad when I went to leave the gas station. I turned the key and the plastic portion fell out from under the dash in several pieces. Had to hot wire it home.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Originally Posted by tellico racing
When mine went out it would only power the ignition when I was cranking it over as soon as it fired and I let go of the key it would die.

And I had one that was just the opposite. Would only start when you jiggled the key just right while cranking.... go figure!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM
HeeHaw78
Senior User
so where can you buy the ignition? i found one at the parts store but it does not include the whole thing just the back side of it.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HeeHaw78
so where can you buy the ignition? i found one at the parts store but it does not include the whole thing just the back side of it.

You can reuse the key part of it if it turns good. I have bought it all new by buying both parts and putting them together. But no need to if the key part is good.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced mine a week ago. My truck would start with key cranked then shut off with key back to straight up unless I wiggled key just right after it fired. I had weird smell in cab sometimes too almost like I thought burning antifreeze? It turned out it was the pigtail ignition connection slowly getting hot and melting. Had to find new pigtail harness and wrecker wasn't an option. Guys on here helped me out and I found a part # through Rock Auto. My parts stores couldn't find anything until i retried them with my part # and I tracked one down with a 2 day wait time. The pin/rivets on back of ignition were loose, causing a bad connection and made everything bad.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
OldStyle
Rusty Roller

Find a paper clip to use as a tool and follow these instructions. Just be careful with the chrome ring holding the sw to the dash.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 AM
HeeHaw78
Senior User
Awesome thanks for the info on how to change them out. Found one on blue oval ford parts for $6. Shipping was a hit high but not bad.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just FYI. One common cause for failure, is when someone carries a pile of keys on their key ring. The weight pulling down and swinging wears them out.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 PM
yankeerebel
Senior User
I'm having trouble with the truck just shutting off while driving only a few hundred feet. Just figured it might be the ignition switch since I've had one do that before (not a ford). $18 for a new one and my old one fell apart upon removal so I thought I had the problem licked.

The swap was easy but within a few hundred feet; same thing, the truck just quits, or almost quits if I'm quick on the gas.

Back to square one. I'll have another thread started for that problem so I'll continue the discussion there. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tting-out.html

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
CentralMassLandscape
Senior User
double check all the wires running into the back of the switch, I've had them fall out and create problems,

Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Not yet. I thought i did but after pulling the old one out and testing it with my fluke meter it was just fine. Oh well now i have a spare. The key lock portion was bad/worn out, after 23+ years of use.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had a bad ignition switch?