Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone ever had a bad ignition switch?

Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM
john81chevy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been there done that

I had a 1977 f100 which drove me nuts before I changed the ignition switch. Occasionally it didn't seem to want to start when being cranked like it wasn't getting any spark. When I let the key turn back to the run position it would fire at the last second and remain running. It progressed to only clicking when you turned the key to start like the solenoid was bad or loose batt terminals. It eventually melted the wire that runs to the start terminal of the solenoid. I replaced the burnt wiring and it soon started clicking again. I checked/replaced batteries, solenoid, and starter and nothing seemed to fix the problem. One guy at Advance who works on these old fords said it sounded like the ignition switch was the problem. It only cost $12 for a new one and that fixed my problem.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM
jsutton
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
I had an issue with my radio cutting out, and it seemed to happen when something shimmied the truck (like a speed bump). It wouldn't have power for a while, then would randomly come back on. I noticed that when the radio was out, so were the windshield wipers, and anything else on the hot-in-ACC circuit. This pointed to the ignititon switch, since I could deduce that the issue was upstream. Once I suspected the ignition switch, I found that shaking the key would bring power back to the accessory loads. Bingo.

What is the specific issue in your case? The best way to test the ignition switch, or any switch, is a continuity check. Or, you can see where power drops off as Marc described above.
I know this is an old thread and I'm not even asking the original poster a question, but the problem FMC talks about right here is the exact problem I have. I can wiggle the key and bring back power just as above, but even when the radio and stuff cut off the engine had never missed a beat. Well, today my truck cut off and would not start leaving me on side of the road (see "what have you done to your truck today" thread for that story). I'm wondering if the ignition switch could have been the culprit and not the coil?

Can a bad ignition switch make the truck die while driving down the road?

Thanks,

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
sgtrwg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just fixed the same problem on my 78. Got the switch from Rock Auto Parts

More Information for MOTORCRAFT SW1494 this is a Ford part and a bit pricey you could try this one
More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS US115

Hope this helps

Bob G