Console Shifter Gripe

Every car I own

Last edited by sithot; 12-29-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: security issues
Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
wow, way to get your panties in a bunch over a safety feature

Every other single vehicle I've owned with a shifter in console is the same way.
2000 4Runner
2005 Sorento
2005 Endeavor
2008 Expedition

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You are seriously overthinking this. I've driven my share of vehicles with console shifters Fords and other brands and I shift threw the gears the same in all of them...''Which is holding the relese button down''

Just be glad the truck presumably runs good and isn't costing you any money other than gas and a monthly payment ''assuming you own it'', If you are this bothered by such a minor inconvience maybe you should have invested in a model with the colum shifter. Or a different vehicle.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:36 PM
sithot
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
You are seriously overthinking this. I've driven my share of vehicles with console shifters Fords and other brands and I shift threw the gears the same in all of them...''Which is holding the relese button down''

Just be glad the truck presumably runs good and isn't costing you any money other than gas and a monthly payment ''assuming you own it'', If you are this bothered by such a minor inconvience maybe you should have invested in a model with the colum shifter. Or a different vehicle.
Oh hell yes it bothers me. IF you by chance happen to hit REVERSE on the way to PARK it will bother you too or whomever happens to be standing behind the truck. Face it, it isn't intuitive.

I've owned or driven just about every brand around. Mercedes Benz doesn't even do this. It's gated like this one should have been (except it would likely have cost more money). The Ford and every other brand column shifters are gated too if you think about it. NO FRIGGIN BUTTONS TO DETER THE MOVEMENT.

Yes, I should have bought a column shifter like my last 3 Super Duties and a 90's F150.

This truck is free and clear and will be getting "offed" as soon as I find something that suites me WITH A COLUMN SHIFTER.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:53 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So what happened to make you so upset at your truck? Fail to get into park and hit something?

Did you not test drive the truck before the purchase?

Don't you normally apply the brake before putting the vehicle in park? Thus preventing it from going into reverse by mistake?

All floor shifters have a button to allow the vehicle to go into park. It goes way back many, many years. Sorry you can't get the hang of it, but don't blame the truck.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ebexp94
Senior User
This is the funniest post I have seen in a while. 10/10

Old 11-05-2011, 07:45 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by sithot
Oh hell yes it bothers me. IF you by chance happen to hit REVERSE on the way to PARK it will bother you too or whomever happens to be standing behind the truck.
If you apply the brakes while shifting into park like you are supposed to... How is the truck going to take off in reverse? I suppose it could if the brakes fail or if your foot slips off the brake pedal.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow..............

Old 11-05-2011, 11:17 PM
sithot
5th Wheeling
My sincere apologies for attempting to bring up a topic that I think is pertinent to those who might be anti-nanny state.

Ford now has the keep you in your lane option. The technology is there to make it cheaper and soon enough you will have it whether you want it or not. Mercedes has made the most incredible commercial for a nanny car I've seen to date. I respect the technology and the company but if people don't want to take responsibility for driving, they should turn in their licenses and ride public transportation.

Insurance companies will eventually dictate you have a "spy" on you car.

Driving a motor vehicle, which you take for granted, is going to be taken over by electronics as will be good for you. All of us dumb asses.

Take no personal responsibility; pay the consequences. Liberty….GONE.

All I wanted was a gated shifter. I guess I'm SOL.

Adios.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by sithot
My sincere apologies for attempting to bring up a topic that I think is pertinent to those who might be anti-nanny state.
no...it's called common sense. Ford has a built in feature inside the trans that prevents you from shifting to park while rolling. Does this to prevent damage to trans.

Without the button depression, you could purposefully, or intentionally slam the shifter into Park while rolling. The trans will try to protect itself...but it still makes a godawful noise.

btw, You duplicate this with a column shifter as well. ever notice how you have to pull the handle backwards...and then move into Park? Oh snap, I believe you just dis-engaged a stop detent to move from Reverse to Park.

Get foil caps out boys. Them there Orwellians are looking for ya!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
sithot
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Tylus
no...it's called common sense. Ford has a built in feature inside the trans that prevents you from shifting to park while rolling. Does this to prevent damage to trans.
I've never seen a car that wouldn't rattle the parking pawl to a fair-the-well if thrown into park while rolling.

1984. The truth IS stranger than fiction.

Be well.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
hammerhead90
Elder User
Just push the button....

I do have to agree with all the new safety systems coming out now are a bit rediculous. If a person pays so little attention and effort to how they drive that they need those things, I hope they're nowhere near me.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
The shifter is the same for any non-gated inline device. I would argue that it is easier to leave a gatted transmission in reverse than a non gated inline one. Simply because you have to apply the brakes, squeeze the release and push the lever all the way forward until it stops. It will be in park. With gated shifters, if you don't move the shifter all the way over against the detent spring and push forward, you will be in reverse still needing to move around the detent into park, at least that is how the shifters is were in the old Toyota, mercedes, BMW, Chevy and Nissan that I had that were gated.

What I don't like about the console shifters are the inability to shift to Neutral from Drive without pushing the release button. Even the race shifters in my drag car and the off road truck allow me to push into neutral without the possiblity of accidentally pushing to far and engaging Reverse. But that is me....

Old 11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
straightaxle
Senior User
Originally Posted by hammerhead90
Just push the button....

I do have to agree with all the new safety systems coming out now are a bit rediculous. If a person pays so little attention and effort to how they drive that they need those things, I hope they're nowhere near me.

Totally agree!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Mis-read

You are still complaining about a safety feature and using an offroad racer as a comparison

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Console Shifter Gripe