1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Just checking in to a great bunch of people!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Just checking in to a great bunch of people!

I don't have any pics really of anything worth posting, but I am in the process of
starting my EFI wiring, along with, and eventually, the main truck wiring.
I am on here everyday when I get a chance. I read/ skim through as many threads as possible. I think this forum is full of a GREAT bunch of people! People that I really look up to! You guys don't get enough credit for what exists here.

Anyway I am still chipping away little by little. Unfortunately, it's starting to look like the summer is quickly coming to an end. This weekend is the big time change. Now it will be dark heading to work and dark coming home. For me, it's a real ambition killer. I hope to see my truck move on it's own power by next year this time. We will just have to wait and see! But in the meantime, back to the wiring!

Just a simple thank you to all of you! Jeff

Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the Big Fender years It's a lot more fun.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:15 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
"Now it will be dark heading to work and dark coming home. For me, it's a real ambition killer."

See, now I view the 'into the dark days' as great opportunities for productivity. Since it's not great for too much outdoor work - especially on nasty days- working on the indoor projects is easier. None of that watching the sun go down stuff as it is already dark! That and knowing that every day is one more closer to June helps too.

Good luck with your wiring, I was just looking at mine and was deciding between buying a harness kit and just picking away with creating my own. Any suggestions?

DW

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mind the winter months, I plow alittle snow here and there for some much needed cash and spend just about everyday in the shop working on something. Hoping to finish my buddies 49 -he-y this winter. It's a pro street ratrod,400-30 over,400 turbo, shortened 9 in with 18 1/2 inch MT's on the rear, I got it running now and is real strong but gotta get it finished, HAPPY WINTER YA'LL.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
winter here means time to do some much needed work on the motorcycles AND make maximun progress on the truck. Sadly I have to do a few side jobs to generate enough cash to overcome the high heat bills in the house, and then buy kerosene for the garage heaters, and if there's anything leftover, it goes into the build fund.... first snowfall increases my labor rate from $35/hr to $50/hr.. and we had hail/snow last Saturday in the middle of a 60 degree day.... so prices are up! lol

Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
wiring your truck are you...I have done a few ..boats to ..and there is always one more circuit needed ..at least for mine ,,did two kit wiring cars and it went much faster and worked first time...but I still like to do my own wire looms ..with marine wire.no corrosion problems and the stereo shop has the neet gold plated fuse's and neet stuff..just to be differant ..an' after 50 years of playing with cars an' motorcycles I'm still learning your right this is a great group of people...thank's guy's...an' gals

Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by maverickman514
winter here means time to do some much needed work on the motorcycles AND make maximun progress on the truck. Sadly I have to do a few side jobs to generate enough cash to overcome the high heat bills in the house, and then buy kerosene for the garage heaters, and if there's anything leftover, it goes into the build fund.... first snowfall increases my labor rate from $35/hr to $50/hr.. and we had hail/snow last Saturday in the middle of a 60 degree day.... so prices are up! lol
I heat my garage with a kerosene burning torpedo heater. Is that what you use?
If so, I started burning the newer diesel fuel with the bio stuff? I can buy that lots cheaper and I don't have any problem with the eyes burning or smell.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:28 AM
kenjh
Posting Guru
you guy's still useing torpedo heater's?? scary I have all ready burned one shop down from a flash fire..I have a roof hung oil furnace now,and it can run diesel ,old ATF, motor oil ..grease fry oil...and it wont set fire to the shop!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Yep still using one! I just make sure that nothing is in its path. That all I got so It's better than frostbite!

Old 11-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by kenjh
wiring your truck are you...I have done a few ..boats to ..and there is always one more circuit needed ..at least for mine ,,did two kit wiring cars and it went much faster and worked first time...but I still like to do my own wire looms ..with marine wire.no corrosion problems and the stereo shop has the neet gold plated fuse's and neet stuff..just to be differant ..an' after 50 years of playing with cars an' motorcycles I'm still learning your right this is a great group of people...thank's guy's...an' gals
Yeah wiring started all I can say is wow!....

Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Like Jeff said Kudo's to you all, a really great bunch of poeple. I have a heated garage at home but unfortunatly my 56 must stay tarped outside. The kids hockey consumes major time and cubic dollars for us in the winter. This is the first year I have done all my yard and summer equipment winterizing outside without freezing my hands. All that is left to do is hang the Christmas lights, I'll do that tomorrow. They are forcasting rain for tomorrow pm, soon It'll be snow and minus 20c. This winter I'll be collecting what parts we can afford and continue my planning (dreaming). Hopefully by spring I can install the drivetrain and brakes, then I'll pick Jeff's brain on his wiring. Time to put my snow tires on the van and get ready for our Winnipeg Jets to kick some a** tonight. Have a great weekend guys, and keep up the great work.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 PM
maverickman514
Senior User
Originally Posted by kenjh
you guy's still useing torpedo heater's?? scary I have all ready burned one shop down from a flash fire..I have a roof hung oil furnace now,and it can run diesel ,old ATF, motor oil ..grease fry oil...and it wont set fire to the shop!!!
Some of us is too broke to afford that fancy stuff. Besides, if my garage burned down, I could finally rebuild it.... insurance would allow expansion too!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
didn't have insurance ,on the cars and motorcycles in it .insurance did a dance on value of the building ,I lost about 40,000 in tools parts and sanity ,,20 years of car stuff and equipment because I didn't understand fume's can become flames ,and a 10 pound dry chem extinguisher will not stop a fire....but that is another story .check your coverage ..you will be surprised what they do not cover ..it's all in the fine print....

Old 11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,821 Likes on 1,829 Posts
I don't use a torpedo heater but I think mine's almost as dangerous. Check out this little beauty;

Open flame propane

Sometimes I can get more work done on my truck in the winter time. I'm not tempted to be doing outdoor work. I can come home and dissappear into the garage and get to work........sometimes....

Bobby

Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
kenjh
Posting Guru
it don't get cold in new mexico does it ??

Quick Reply: Just checking in to a great bunch of people!