Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Was running and now its not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive had this happen to me while parked on a hill. if you have just a little gas in the tank and it rushes to one side due to being parked on an angle, it starves for fuel. just a thought. is the pump buzzing?

Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Originally Posted by subford
Turn the key on and then off about three or four times before you try to crank it.
That pressurizes the fuel system right.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:51 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by brcwelding
That pressurizes the fuel system right.
It fills the fuel lines and the fuel manifold (rail) with fuel if they were dry so that fuel system can be pressurized.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
I tried turning the key on and off and nothing. Yesterday it was running and then died like it ran out of fuel. I havent been able to start it since. It has 2 new fuel pumps and fuel filter. When i turn the key without cranking the engine should i hear the fuel pump?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Yes you should hear the high pressure pump and the selected in-tank low pressure boost pump run for one second each time you turn on the key with the engine not cranking.
If not I would look at the wiring under the fuel pump (green) and power relays (brown) on the drivers fender. If the wiring looks good under the relays check the fuse links at the starter solenoid and the Inertia switch. For the Inertia switch try pushing the button down on top of it.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:41 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Ok so i hear the buzzing when i turn the key. The wiring is good. Im going to run up to the store to get some starting fluid to see wether it isnt getting fuel or isnt getting spark. If it isnt getting fuel what do i look for next. Im pretty sure it is getting spark because it has new plugs and wires.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Is the buzzing from the fuel tank and the frame pump?

Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
The in tank fuel pumps are working also. I just sprayed a little starting fluid in it and still nothing. This means it must be a spark issue. Its got new plugs and wires. What could be the issue?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Now i've got a new scenario, if i let it sit a little while it will try to start. So could that mean its just getting a weak spark?What would cause this?

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Coil comes to mind.. How about distributor cap/rotor? Are all the contacts good inside? Possibly timing is off, maybe you mixed up a wire or two when you replaced the plugs/wires?

A good way to know for sure that your wires are correct, is to pull the #1 spark plug then have someone "bump" the engine (with your finger in the hole) until you feel the compression stroke. Then look at where your rotor is pointing, that is #1.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:25 AM
brcwelding
Senior User
Originally Posted by big-ugly
Coil comes to mind.. How about distributor cap/rotor? Are all the contacts good inside? Possibly timing is off, maybe you mixed up a wire or two when you replaced the plugs/wires?

A good way to know for sure that your wires are correct, is to pull the #1 spark plug then have someone "bump" the engine (with your finger in the hole) until you feel the compression stroke. Then look at where your rotor is pointing, that is #1.
I have run it for a few weeks since i did the plugs and wires so those are good. It could be the cap and rotor. I will order those from autozone i guess. Even if thats not the problem it'd be good to change. Any other ideas just let me know.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run it for a few weeks since i did the plugs and wires so those are good. It could be the cap and rotor. I will order those from autozone i guess. Even if thats not the problem it'd be good to change. Any other ideas just let me know.
Check the wires at the coil. mine can slide in the plastic and make for a bad connection. Just a thought.... GL

Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru

Search PIP and ICM threads here, you may be a victim of this heat related common problem, with an inconsistent spark issue.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
octaneforce
Laughing Gas
dont bother with autozone ignition parts. go to another parts house and get a motorcraft cap/rotor set.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 PM
brcwelding
Senior User
If i let the truck sit for a while and then go back and try to start it fires but doesnt start. If i keep trying then it will stop firing at all. Then i let it sit for a while and it does the same thing? This thing is confusing me.

Quick Reply: Was running and now its not?