Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior User

herojeep is starting off with a positive reputation.
CEL scanner

Anyone have a check engine light scanner and would be willing to help diagnose my 2000 Excursion 7.3 and Wifey's 2004 Explorer 4.6 ABS light? [Riverside area] Auto parts stores says it is illegal in CA now to check engine lights except at repair places.

Or what scanner/reader would you suggest?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pretty happy with my AE. It's not the most affordable set up by the time you get the reader and ford advanced bundle... but it is one of the most useful... and versatile... not to mention being able to get software to pull other makes as well.

I just moved east... but I know a couple of the Socal members have 'em. If you ask extra nice... or make it out to a git-together... you're likely to find help. :-)

http://www.autoenginuity.com/

You can get el-cheapo scanners for much less... but they won't pull Ford or vehicle specific codes (just the generic codes)... and don't give you access to some of the handy diagnostics and PCM self tests.

F250 2WD Crew w/ ISSpro guages, 6637 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, Riffraff High Pressure Crossover, Garrett Power Max BB turbo, Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors and DP tuner. Thanks to Clay at Riffraff. Update: 6.0 oil cooler, John Woods transmission, etc...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Senior User

Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you have on older PC computer by chance with a serial port still? If so, I have an old Carchip reader you could use if needed.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Senior User

herojeep is starting off with a positive reputation.
T8R- I checked the site for AE. The scanner thing will be new to me but very interested in being able to diagnose and repair these new computer controlled cars myself. I couldn't seem to understand everything they were talking about. Is the kit $1400, or is that a mechanic shop deal for every make? Is the controller $250 and does the expanded Ford programming for $200 give me access to EVERYTHING Ford that I need including cycling ABS for bleeding and other diagnostics? If so, $500 is well under what I was thinking I was going to need to spend. And what are the updates you have to pay extra for? Is that only for new model vehicles that come out after I purchase or would I need them for the vehicles I already have? I know there is a lot of questions but this is a new area for me to learn.

Fishing_Uncle- Yes I have an old 1998 Compaq. What is a carchip reader. If any one wants to come over for pizza I would appreciate the help and willing to learn the discipline of computer diagnosing.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Senior User

Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.Fishing_Uncle has a good reputation on FTE.
The model I have has been discontinued, but my buddy has used it semi-recently to diagnose a CEL on his car which I think is 2005. It was a pretty neat tool, it even did data logging that you could later view. Here is a link and Ill PM you as well.

CarChipE/X® (serial port) by Davis
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Elder User

T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.T8R has a very good reputation on FTE.
with the AE - the big expensive bundle is the auto mechanics bundle including software for multiple manufacturers (the list is avail on their web site).

You can purchase the reader itself separately, or as a package with the Ford Advanced Bundle. (don't remember the pricing - but it's all on their web site.)

The updates are not required to continue using the software and reader you already have. They are only for software updates to include info for newer models that may not have existed at the time of your original purchase, and possible updates to the software itself.

Being on a budget, I'll buy the software for other manufacturers as the need arises. Happy with the purchase so far, and haven't had to spend anything extra to scan Fords built at or before my initial purchase.

F250 2WD Crew w/ ISSpro guages, 6637 intake, MBRP 4" exhaust, Riffraff High Pressure Crossover, Garrett Power Max BB turbo, Stage 2 Single Shot Injectors and DP tuner. Thanks to Clay at Riffraff. Update: 6.0 oil cooler, John Woods transmission, etc...
Old 11-04-2011, 02:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter