6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 late 2004 wif light and stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 AM
kbuchheit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6.0 late 2004 wif light and stall

Hey guys. Great forum and definately a lot of knowledge here.
Here is my (current) problem.
While driving the other day, the struck suddenly began to stall when pressing the accelerator. The water in fuel light came on as did the glow plug light. This continued with the truck sometimes dying all the way and other times just stalling then picking back up. No differance in throttle pressure seemed to make a differance except that letting off totally then slowly pressing seemed to let it keep running sometimes.

So I get home and drain the fuel water seperator. I gets about a thimble full of water and lots of the rusty looking junk others have talked about. Try to run the truck again, same thing as before. I then changed fuel filters and thought that had it licked but after about 10 minutes it started again. By the way, the 6mm plug seemed to have about a third of the threads rusted off. Not sure what that means as I drain it at least twice a year.

I have read a lot about the ICP and IPR issues and was wondering if this could be my problem. I am hoping its not the HPOP. My other thought was something in the fuel tank blocking the in tank filter. I checked the top mount bowl and it waas only about two thirds full after running the truck

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Truck info: Late 2004 Ford F350 Dually 4x4 crewcab, 6.0, EGR delete plate,4" turbo back exhaust with cat delete, no muffler,K&N filter and filter box, Diablo tuner usually set to 60hp upgrade.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Old 11-03-2011, 02:07 AM
rray32539
Senior User
Sounds to me like you have a load of bad fuel in the tank.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Dieselpop
Senior User
Did you use Ford filters a must and get one of these to ease the pain
DTS Articles - HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade
I drain about 2 oz once a month to check for water, 2 times a year will not cut it.
Need a fuel pressure gauge because under 45lbs at WOT will kill injectors.
pop

Old 11-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,391 Likes on 2,088 Posts
Kevin, the HPOP is of no real concern on the 2004, keep us informed on what you find. Wire chaffing, bad fuel or a sensor are things to look at.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Pull and inspect the new filters. It migh give you some idea of what the fuel looks like. If they are dirty again, might need to drain/flush the fuel tank. If clean, I would check fuel pressure.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 AM
kbuchheit
Freshman User
Thanks guys, I do plan on doing the drain plug upgrade soon as the old one is rusted anyway. I also was suspecting bad fuel as I had filled at a station I never have gone to before and it started a couple days later. Guess i will check the filters and drop the tank for a look. May as well do the harpoon while I'm in there.
If you have any other ideas let me know. Can't get on it for a couple weeks though, theres an elk in Montana with my name on him!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 AM
kbuchheit
Freshman User
Okay, finally got to work on the truck a little more. I dropped the tank and everything looked great. No junk in the fuel, the in tank screen was clean and I couldnt find any blockages in any of the lines. I fed the fuel I removed into one of my diesel tractors and had no issues with it. All the filters were (again) replaced with FORD OEM's and I didn't find anything blocking the ones I pulled out. No water in fuel or junk in fuel found.

I started to review some of the threads tonight and am wondering if the ICP or IPF could be an issue. Also, would the solder issues on the FPCM cause the occasional throttle lag or is that more just a starting issue? There was also mention of a throttle pedal sensor issue. As an additional issue, the batteries seem to go dead awful quick. A couple days sitting and they crap out. They are fairly new and seem to recharge just fine. Any chance the issues could be related?

I am going to try testing the ICP voltage tomorrow and check the IPF for damage. The truck is a May 04 manufacture so I am assuming its a late 04, correct? ICP should be on the valve cover?

Its finally starting to snow here and I sure could use the 4WD! Luckily the 2WD 7.3 keeps chugging along without issue!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,718 Posts
I would start by load testing each battery - individually, testing the alternator, and checking FICM volts. You can check the FICM wiring harness for chaffing as well. Then I would probably install a fuel pressure gauge.

A scangaugeII can easily help you check FICM voltage and the HPO system readings.

Rusting threads means you have water in the fuel. Doesn't take much for the plug to rust. I would change it out before it started leaking, but that is just me.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Kevin, the HPOP is of no real concern on the 2004, keep us informed on what you find. Wire chaffing, bad fuel or a sensor are things to look at.
I think John was more on track with a wiring issue because of the WIF and glowplug light coming on. Have you scanned the truck for codes although if the batteries got low enough the PCM could have reset. 03/04 trucks are known for harness chaffing issues.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM
plomero2
Junior User
My truck is doing the same thing. I need help. Did you find the problem?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,391 Likes on 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by plomero2
My truck is doing the same thing. I need help. Did you find the problem?

You can have the WIF light come on and it will not stall the truck. If you would, start a new thread and give thorough information on miles, maintenance, repairs and we can figure something out.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
plomero2
Junior User
Thanks. I did that first and then look at older posts. I found this one and was thinking this person may have found a fix. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM
kbuchheit
Freshman User
Palermo, I finally got the issue to go away the problem is i don't know how! I dropped the tank and cleaned it, changed filters and drained ALL the fuel from the system. Also went over all the wiring but didn't find anything obvious. So, bottom line is it works but I can't say what fixed it sorry.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
plomero2
Junior User
Thanks. I think I have got junk in the tank. I drained the water plug and found like 1/8 tea spoon of said.d/ rust. I am going to drain and clean fuel tank as soon as I can. I hope this will work.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
kbuchheit
Freshman User
OK guys, I thought I had this under control but maybe not. After running fine for about 2 months, the truck started its stuff again. Engine pukes like no throttle response and wif light and sometimes the wts light come on. Let off the throttle, it self corrects, sometimes for a couple minutes, sometimes for a few days. I have tried adding marvel mystery oil thinking the injectors needed it but I cant tell if it helps or not.
A friend suggested the fuel injector harness may be chaffed. I glanced at it but didnt see anything obvious. It was over 100 outside and the engine hot so I didnt try to manipulate the harness much. Anybody think that the harness is the problem or should I look elsewhere/ Also, if the harness is the problem, does anybody have a good step by step to replace it?

Thanks again guys. I'd be broke if I had to keep taking this thing to a mechanic since none of them can find it!

Quick Reply: 6.0 late 2004 wif light and stall