miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted before it gets locked. lol

Old 01-27-2012, 03:26 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can not believe that they posted those pictures with that story. Wow that is just awful. Those are some powerful machines.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a whole lot of people that work there that will never be the same.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how dose the family fill about that.

they dont call them man eaters for nothing.
where do you start cleaning with that?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Swimholm
Senior User
geez......

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
LSO1123
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy ****!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Man its hard to believe the company would let that sort of thing happer. I mean there should be safety rules as to distance from the plane,etc., just like in the air on landing. They suck a big volume of air and nobody should be near them when running. God bless his family and friends. Hard to believe.

Chet

Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Sausage anyone?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it may have been like the guy i worked with in the pipe mill, one day he stepped in between 2 rolling 24" dia 110' long pipe and it killed him. he should have not been there but went around the rail and got killed.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Man its hard to believe the company would let that sort of thing happer. I mean there should be safety rules as to distance from the plane,etc., just like in the air on landing. They suck a big volume of air and nobody should be near them when running. God bless his family and friends. Hard to believe.

Chet
As a 30 year mechanic in the aviation field I can guarentee the company as all kinds of rules about safety. Warning signs are all over the airplanes, painted on the ramps, in daily briefings, etc, etc. We go through constant recurrent safety training. Unfortunately these machines require people to keep them moving every day from servicing to maintenace to supplies and that means we have to be around them when they operate.

You should see the insane dance that is the ramp area in Atlanta during peak operating times. Bag tugs, bag carts, push back vehicles, service vehicles, maintenace vehicles, fueling trucks, emergency vehicles, airplanes, all going somewhere different at the same time and missing each other. Add rain and darkness and WOOHOO

Much time, effort, money, and angst is expended in trying to keep people aware of their surrounding and to do everything possible to make sure we all go home at the end of the day. Sadly it only takes a moment of distraction or loss of concentration for something like this to happen.

I'm not sure what kind of Maintenance related engine run up was being performed with passengers on board. That would be a big no-no were I work. Only flight crews are allowed to run engines once passengers are on the aircraft and only idle runs can be performed in the gate area. Looking at the pics that was no idle run.

EDIT: Found this
Airline Accident: Accident - Jan. 16, 2006 - El Paso, Texas | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Turns out this was in 2006 and they indeed did a power run when they shouldn't have.

Prayers still going to the family. Hate for anyone to get hurt or die, mistake or not.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
As a 30 year mechanic in the aviation field I can guarentee the company as all kinds of rules about safety. Warning signs are all over the airplanes, painted on the ramps, in daily briefings, etc, etc. We go through constant recurrent safety training. Unfortunately these machines require people to keep them moving every day from servicing to maintenace to supplies and that means we have to be around them when they operate.

You should see the insane dance that is the ramp area in Atlanta during peak operating times. Bag tugs, bag carts, push back vehicles, service vehicles, maintenace vehicles, fueling trucks, emergency vehicles, airplanes, all going somewhere different at the same time and missing each other. Add rain and darkness and WOOHOO

Much time, effort, money, and angst is expended in trying to keep people aware of their surrounding and to do everything possible to make sure we all go home at the end of the day. Sadly it only takes a moment of distraction or loss of concentration for something like this to happen.

I'm not sure what kind of Maintenance related engine run up was being performed with passengers on board. That would be a big no-no were I work. Only flight crews are allowed to run engines once passengers are on the aircraft and only idle runs can be performed in the gate area. Looking at the pics that was no idle run.

EDIT: Found this
Airline Accident: Accident - Jan. 16, 2006 - El Paso, Texas | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Turns out this was in 2006 and they indeed did a power run when they shouldn't have.

Prayers still going to the family. Hate for anyone to get hurt or die, mistake or not.
I saw this on another forum and didn't really look into it. Thanks for the update. I didn't know this wasn't something recent.

Still a good reminder to everyone about safety first. It often gets overlooked and have been guilty of it myself.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Wow, what a mess!

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's terrible. My condolences to the family and all those who witnessed this trajedy.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
COE Guy
Mountain Pass

Disturbing to say the least. Always be paying attention to whats around you at all times. Condolences to everyone affected by this.

Quick Reply: OT Engineer sucked into engine aftermath