1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Info needed on Flareside

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Info needed on Flareside

I am getting close to mounting my 9' flareside bed onto my modified F350 chassis. Does the bed with it's steel cross members sit directly on the frame of the truck, or is there wood or perhaps rubber in between? I made some frame extensions to pick up the rear mounting holes and found that all the other 6 mounting holes for this bed are already drilled into the frame from the factory. Rhanks.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM
hawk1959
RATROD58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI ya there is some wood blocks that go there , not sure what size the blocks are , mine has the wood blocks and a rubber pad on it ,

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I set it on the frame today, just steel on steel and it does seem to be lower than what I see in photos. Looks like the bottom of the running boards should be flush with the bottom of the cab. Mine seems to be about an inch or inch and a half lower. I wish I could post up a photo. Crazy thing is it's so high already it looks like a 4wd in the back. Maybe Ill just go with some heavy rubber belting I have. I assume that the rubber and the blocks are only on the 4 points on each side that have bolts, otherwise they'd fall out. I guess a pickup with a 9600 gvw is gonna be 'way up firm and high' no matter what.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 588 Likes on 528 Posts
When I put my styleside back on I used new pieces of treated wood cut to size and some 1/8' nylon sheet stock I had laying around. I would think belting would work fine. You really don't want steel on steel. Too squeaky! Most of these trucks already have enough other noises! LOL!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:13 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I plan to remove it one more time before all is finalized so I can add the material at that time. I guess I just had to see what it looked like. I tend to get impatient. The whole project started when on a camping trip through Spokane Wa.(dry western country) I accidently looked at craigslist and found this immaculate 9' bed made into a trailer with a title, no less. Near perfect original bed wood, and the steel looks like it was stamped yesterday. I had an empty trailer hitch and the rest is history. I have been changing my avatar as a way of posting photos. For some reason it says I may not post pictures.......

Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I plan to remove it one more time before all is finalized so I can add the material at that time. I guess I just had to see what it looked like. I tend to get impatient. The whole project started when on a camping trip through Spokane Wa.(dry western country) I accidently looked at craigslist and found this immaculate 9' bed made into a trailer with a title, no less. Near perfect original bed wood, and the steel looks like it was stamped yesterday. I had an empty trailer hitch and the rest is history. I have been changing my avatar as a way of posting photos. For some reason it says I may not post pictures.......

Was that this year? Is it the one west of spokane in a little berg like Davenport. I was trying to get one that was on CL but got no answer back. It was about mid summer a few monts ago. Color was brown looked like a nice bed. If thats the one you got Im at least glad it went to someone who will put it to good use.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
GB S; Check out this thread on the 14th post shows wood dimensions! I used maple when redoing mine. Which is what the originals appeared to be made of.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ng-blocks.html

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Got it, but unfortunately mine is an f350 and has straight frame rails. The blocks will be the same dimension all the way down. Actually, the last mount at the rear is different being about an inch and a quarter lower. This mount is bolted to a frame extension that is peculiar to the f350 pickup. I made my extensions from square tubing and incorporated them into a trailer hitch that will be mated to a step bumper I plan to build later this fall. The top of my frame extensions are flush with the rest of the frame. Because of this, it looks like any wood blocks will need to be inch and a quarter. I am a cabinet and furniture maker and have about 10 boards of elm about 1 1/2" thick. Plenty to make blocks for anyone needing them. At this point, a side view of an f350 flareside might be just what I need, or ultimately a picture of the elusive 'frame extensions'. btw, I pulled the bed this afternoon. Like to get it right for tomorrow. Thanks

Old 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Buzz, I bought it last October just outside of the city. I had looked up 'trailers' on craigslist, because I like to know if there's a cheap car trailer around just in case I stumble upon a truck to bring home from the dry country East of the mountains. I saw this listed there, so I came home with 1/2 of a truck. Once I finished some other projects I started looking for a donor f350 to mount the bed on. I came up with this 59 mainly because it had a factory ford script stakebed that I wanted for my 37 ford. The box is nicer than the cab, but it has a great running 223 six and it was close by. My plan is to install a cummins '6at', 6 cyl turbo diesel which I have running on a cart in the shop. I will do a thread about that this winter.
Cummins 6at 220 cu in, 120 hp, built 1989 was in a ups truck. Been running one in a GMC for a while, but will sell it when I get the Ford done. Duh.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Thanks for the reply just curious cause I could never get an answer back from the guy to my email. Was hoping it went to a good home and when I saw your post figured maybe you got it. Sounds like you got enough going on to keep you busy for a while. I have not checked CL for trailers Ill have to try it that way and see what comes up. Take care now we are sitting over here in the cold dry country......BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
A few photos

Attached Images    
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

That looks right at home. No paint job needed either! A metal box certainly changes the personality of a truck. Sort of restores their dignity!?!

Old 11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
What's a 'paint job?'

Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
btw, the 9' ford script flatbed off my '59 is going on this truck. Another bed install . sheesh, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by GB SISSON
What's a 'paint job?'
That is a beautiful thing! You just can't get a look like that out of any spray gun or rattle can.

Quick Reply: Info needed on Flareside