Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Posting Guru

BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
Well said Tim.

There is a lot of ignorance on the forums these days regarding engines. They all are amazing engines. To each there own on which you choose.

I just get tired of ignorant people posting false info on the boards. But thats what happens on the net i guess.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Elder User

efx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've always been a V8 truck guy, but it's hard to knock the 3.5 for any lack of power and overall fuel economy. Short term reliability has been very good as well as the test mule from Ford seemed to perform well. The biggest performance issue appears to be V8 mpg's when towing heavy, but it performs like a V8, so it's a trade off that seems ok to me, IMO. I'm just glad Ford offers an engine for economy and power, something the other 1/2 ton trucks out there has not offered as of yet, but if one wants to do the power thing the traditional way, Ford finally has that covered better than ever too. Isn't freedom of choice great?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Freshman User

sithot is starting off with a positive reputation.
A Toyota Tacoma or Tundra with a TRD Supercharger is a bad ride.

I like big V8's having grown up with them. I also appreciate a little technology. Mercedes AND BMW have lowered displacement and added boost (again). The 335 is a wicked quick little car and GOK how fast one of the new AMG Benz's is. Too rich for my blood.

Flip a coin. On the cheap I'd probably do the 5.0. Techno-Weenie; 3.5 Ecoboost hands down. It's the future.

To re-live the days of the big lumps it's easy and only one choice: The 6.2 and learn to soft pedal it a little although I find a big gun is hard not to shoot!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Elder User

Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.Big Bad has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion67 View Post
I would have been more impressed with the 6.2 if it has similar HP/TQ per liter as the 5.0, which would put it around 450 HP / 470 lb-ft. Don't get me wrong, I like big engines, but I think I would prefer to have that fix in a weekend sports car.
If the 6.2 was a 4-valve Ti-VCT engine with an aluminum block getting a couple extra MPG with 450+ HP, I would be singing it's praises. The architecture definitely has a lot of untapped potential, but in its current 2-valve/iron block configuration...I'm not impressed. The EB & 5.0 are clearly the more impressive engines overall as they sit.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Elder User

jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jokerforever is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
I haven't seen one incident of an ecoboost owner blatantly attacking an owner of an n/a engine on this thread or any other here on FTE.
Well here's one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham77 View Post
Jokeforever.

You are a *******. Sorry. I tried to think of something nicer. Maybe you are a paid sponser for the 6.2. Don't get me wrong...I like the 6.2, but I saw it for what it is...the "Bismark"...like the USS Reagan...too much, too late, done very well for a time that has passed.

The reason you see the Ecoboost results all over the map is because it is a thinking man's engine...think you want to hyper mile...hello 22 mpg, think you want to be a normal American hello 18 -19 mpg, think you are a boy racer hello 16-18. Think you have to tow the world...hello 12-14 mpg. Hello you are an idiot...who knows.

Thank God Ford let smart truck owners have a chance.
And stuff like this has happen to me a lot on the 09+ site. I usually hangout down in with the 87-96, Dent Side, or Super Duty guys, or one of the engine sites but I was in the market for a new truck. I came here expecting the same courtesy and helpful nature I get and I return in those sites but folks up here can be, ah, well, "less than helpful" to say the least. If you want more examples I can go into my subscriptions and find a bunch. But like I just said before, this isn't helping anybody. I only try to help, I think I have some valid points to make and I truly want the OP to make the best decision based on his wants and needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
So many people are knocking the the 3.5L and basing the negativity on engine size, past turbo gas engine problems and a host of other ludicrous assumptions.

I say this, allow these engines to get some miles and time on the clock and see how they pan out.

I sense that if one ecoboost engine fails, it will make more headline news on FTE than any other engine failure. There have been some isolated 6.2L and 5.0L issues, it happens but it's not reason enough to send smoke signals and alert the media or to advise a person to NOT to purchase said engine.

And I seriously don't understand how not owning a 6.2L truck makes me a non enthusiast.

I'm not your mod here folks but I can still advise everyone to behave and keep the insults to themselves.
This is where it seems the misunderstanding comes from. I'm not bashing the Ecoboost. I really hope that it works out. Past problems with turbo motors? Well, those that don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. I hope Ford learned from the past and has addressed the problems (and it seems that, on the blue prints at least, they have). Engine size? That's just history speaking again. Yeah, technology has gotten efficiency up. Now lets see how long it lasts. And that's the main point that I try to preach with these motors. So many people have jumped onto this bandwagon without thinking about it. But what's going to happen 100K miles from now after Ham has pulled his thousandth 8k load of square bails. Will the pistons melt like in the SHOs? Will the intake be completely blocked off by carbon deposits? Will there be something else to rear its evil head? Or will this little motor keep singing along?

And as a disclaimer the 6.2 and 5.0 have had some isolated problems too. The worst that I've heard was the timing gears stripping themselves in a 6.2 and a total failure of a 5.0 after a cam broke in half. They are machines. Anything with moving parts can fail.

Oh and you can be an enthusiast and still own an Ecoboost. There are a bunch out there (these would be the guys racing on YouTube). But most people aren't and they buy these trucks without really knowing anything about them. The 6.2 on the other hand was made for and marketed to us (that’s why it's in the HD and Raptor). That's one of the reasons they get away with only offering is in the higher trims. They know that the ones of us that really want that engine and won't settle for anything else will spend the extra money to get it (well maybe not everybody, that's exactly what drove me away from a new truck).

All in all, I think most things have been covered in this thread. OP, or anybody else, if you have any questions feel free to IM me. I'm still subscribed so I will keep my eye on this thread but I think I'm done posting. I know some of y'all agree with me and like what I've said; how about some reps please?

I think we've beaten this dead horse enough and I'm willing to let it die.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior User

Arctic Fox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerforever View Post
...I know some of y'all agree with me and like what I've said; how about some reps please?

I think we've beaten this dead horse enough and I'm willing to let it die.
jokerforever, I for one have agreed with every single comment you have made on this thread. Thanks for making it so interesting to follow and read.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 PM
Freshman User

ham77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most engine failures occur to inappropriate load use and poor/improper maintenance...not that any one of wants to admit it.

Last edited by LxMan1; 11-12-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: more badgering and about to get a vacation
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Senior User

jda1961 is starting off with a positive reputation.
great

i just bought a 2012 f250 4x4 with the 6.2 engine, its a beast, puts the 5.4 to shame. its got 1100 miles on it and i'm getting 18 mpg. very happy with it.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 AM
Posting Guru

NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.NASSTY has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jda1961 View Post
i just bought a 2012 f250 4x4 with the 6.2 engine, its a beast, puts the 5.4 to shame. its got 1100 miles on it and i'm getting 18 mpg. very happy with it.
Now turn around and see how many mpgs it gets driving up that same hill you just drove down while you were getting 18 mpgs.

92 Bronco
Old 11-10-2011, 04:23 AM
Elder User

shortride is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I didn't know Ford put 6.2 in the F250's.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortride View Post
I didn't know Ford put 6.2 in the F250's.
This is where the engine got it's start, then it migrated to the Raptor then the upscale F-150's such as the Harley Davidson, Plat, King Ranch, Limited, etc.

I drove a 6.2L F-250 while I was looking at my truck. Beastly power is an understatement. A modest appetite is also an understatement and it was clear to me that the F-250 was way more truck than I need or would ever wish to feed.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
How many MPG's did it get when you woke up?

My 5.4 will "get" 18 on a good day but averages out a heck of lot lower. No soft pedal, just normal driving. I've seen 19.8 on the Lie O Meter but for an average getting 18 would be fantastic.

No way, no how unless it's all down hill both ways.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Junior User

Aquik72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OMG....It's taken me over 30 minutes to read through all these posts and digest everything. I just took delivery of my new truck yesterday and after reading all this...I'm totally confused....

Why can't we all just get along

http://Photobucket
Old 11-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Freshman User

Nice looking truck.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Freshman User

ham77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very Nice truck. I have a similar in SC. Love it.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150

Tags
2011, 373, 62, buying, comments, ecoboost, f150, inanchorbuying, login, mpg, pearls, platinum, post, real, register, regret, truck, world