6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

More Fuel System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Diesel Kleen on a regular basis. Should I use something different?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
gwcon
Posting Guru
With rust being present it sounds like this could be the reason the problem is sparatic. If your truck sits for a couple of days, which mine do, it sounds like that could be a reason for one or both of the valves to stick. What do you think?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:51 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
OK guys, what the heck is cheezit talking about: "when your fuel trims reach double digits". I'm stumped. Admittedly that is not hard to do but I would sure like to know.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
OK guys, what the heck is cheezit talking about: "when your fuel trims reach double digits". I'm stumped. Admittedly that is not hard to do but I would sure like to know.
sorry. didnt mean to confuse you.
one of the meany things we look at is fuel trims. a change from a trim of 0 to a number that is in excess of +/- 10 would put a trim in double digits. this is a change in the amount of fuel the pcm is commanding per an injector to correct engine running condition.
hope that clears it up

Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
one of the meany things we look at is fuel trims. a change from a trim of 0 to a number that is in excess of +/- 10 would put a trim in double digits. this is a change in the amount of fuel the pcm is commanding per an injector to correct engine running condition.
hope that clears it up
It does, thank you

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 AM
gwcon
Posting Guru
Well, the dealer tested the fuel system and suprisingly(not really) they could find no problems. Stuck with the sparatic guessing game nightmare again until it overfuels and blows the entire system.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hope that clears it up
I decided to see where my short term fuel trims were tonight. Found out my version of Auto Enguinuity (which isn't the latest) was missing cylinder 4

Values at idle for the seven cylinders I could choose.... varied from worse case of occassional -3 or +4 and some zero; but, while under way on the road they were all zero. So this seems good to me.

I guess if I check them periodically and they take a jump into double digit realm it is time for new truck

Bob

Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

yup. but yo need to check it when the concern is happning. also try right after a regen

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
donnybryant1977
New User
i am having the excact same problem. seems to always happen when i am pulling a load. the ford tech told me the hpf system was going out. he told me it was an $8000 repair. my truck has 115000 miles on it, so no warranty. the only thing i know to do is trade it in. i'm pissed about it because i almost have the truck payed for. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Fuel trims are the one item I can't monitor. I can see the fuel rail pressure with my IQ but that is it.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

yup. but yo need to check it when the concern is happning. also try right after a regen
I really do not have any drivability concerns; I was hoping maybe this could be sorta a indicator something is trending toward the dark side?

I did find comments in an old TSB that all trims go to zero when engine is in regen too.

My only issues are I am still loosing coolant (super slow, but more evident after long towing); oil analysis shows potassium and I have high wear metals. Thinking about installing a piece of SS tubing to bypass the coolant to my old style EGR prior to next oil change; just to rule it out or point the finger. Truck otherwise runs great, pulls great. I am about 200 miles shy of my 65K Mi oil change being due.

I dump a half bottle (16 oz of the 32 oz container) of Diesel Kleen at each fill-up and have been doing so since truck was new. Fill-ups use to be closer to 30 gallons but now closer to 20 gallons as I try to keep it more full since the 1/4 tank starting issue...... plus want to avoid condensate in empty tank on truck I do not drive every day.

I will have to log some driving with the laptop and AE to catch the fuel trims following a regen just to see what is going on. My hope was to have a barometer on fuel system health by perhaps monitoring the trims.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Originally Posted by senix
Fuel trims are the one item I can't monitor. I can see the fuel rail pressure with my IQ but that is it.
Maybe you can get Banks to update the IQ to show fuel trims?

Bob

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

not unheard of to have egr cooler leak when hot only on this engine

Old 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,416 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
I really do not have any drivability concerns; I was hoping maybe this could be sorta a indicator something is trending toward the dark side?

I did find comments in an old TSB that all trims go to zero when engine is in regen too.

My only issues are I am still loosing coolant (super slow, but more evident after long towing); oil analysis shows potassium and I have high wear metals. Thinking about installing a piece of SS tubing to bypass the coolant to my old style EGR prior to next oil change; just to rule it out or point the finger. Truck otherwise runs great, pulls great. I am about 200 miles shy of my 65K Mi oil change being due.

I dump a half bottle (16 oz of the 32 oz container) of Diesel Kleen at each fill-up and have been doing so since truck was new. Fill-ups use to be closer to 30 gallons but now closer to 20 gallons as I try to keep it more full since the 1/4 tank starting issue...... plus want to avoid condensate in empty tank on truck I do not drive every day.

I will have to log some driving with the laptop and AE to catch the fuel trims following a regen just to see what is going on. My hope was to have a barometer on fuel system health by perhaps monitoring the trims.

Thanks,

Bob
What are your potassium readings? Universal average according to Blackstone is 12 I think.

Mine is around 7.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

@ Senix

From Blackstone: "
We found quite an increase in wear from your 6.4L in this report. Aluminum, chrome, and iron all
increased considerably. The only thing that might explain these increases is potassium, if it shows coolant in
the oil. Potassium can also come from the EGR system...."
Potassium, Aluminum, Iron, Mileage
nn..............25.............53... at 40,532
18..............20.............52.... at 46,133
8................21.............35.... at 50,463
71..............50.............101... at 58,746 (yep went a little long)

Changes were at every 10K up to the 40,532 mark in July 09 at which I went to 5 K schedule (except went long on last change) The lab I used up to 40 K was not Blackstone and previous lab did not test for Potassium. Previous lab was Titan.

The last change does include the event in which my heater hose blew off which could explain high aluminum & Iron as engine got hot and went in limp mode (but in my mind I can not tie this to the elevated Potassium.)

I will be changing oil this weekend.

Truck had factory fill first 10K (no fuel dilution)
Mobil Delvac ESP (synthetic) second 10K (greater than 4% fuel plus pipe not clean @ 18K)
Rotella Synthetic ever since... (2% fuel dilution on 20-30K)
no fuel dilution on 30-35K
less than 0.5% last change

Truck was getting about 20K/yr till I quit using it as daily driver. Initially went with 10K till aware of all the fuel dilution concerns. Hindsight is 20/20

If can't get the coolant loss under control I will be trading.

Bob

Quick Reply: More Fuel System Problems