6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

5yrs and 100k miles (well almost)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
5yrs and 100k miles (well almost)

Just paid the last payment on the truck and got the title yesterday - feels GREAT!

Hit the 5 year mark on Oct 30th and hit 99,700 miles today.

I chose to celebrate by having headstuds put in .... along w/ the beta version of the water pump w/ the billet impellor, 4" Banks exhaust, and (finally) had the DynaTrac ball joints installed.

Over the last 10 days, I took a 3500 mile (roundtrip) vacation w/ the truck. I had the work done at "Trucks Unlimited" in Winston-Salem, NC by Scott Wisenhunt in the "middle" of my trip. His shop did a fantastic job and the return trip w/ all of the work went flawlessly. I will post a separate post on his shop, just to brag on them - they deserve it. I got a good deal on an oil cooler (thanks Tim), so I had that changed out also - even though my temps really weren't bad. I did it mainly because I had so much casting sand in the beginning, I just felt better adding this to the scope of work. The original oil cooler showed no signs of being plugged. I had some other miscellaneous things done as well (added fumoto block drains, changed out glow plugs and harnesses, EGT probe, etc) - not really worth mentioning. I stayed w/ Ford Gold coolant for now. I saw no reason to change, but (as I have said in the past), I will most likely change to ELC soon.

The old ball joints didn't look bad, but the front end definitely feels "tighter".

This has been a great truck for the last 5 years and it is STILL a pleasure to drive! Next year (when the money is saved up again), I plan to join the SCT ranks!

Again - Thanks Tim, Moe, and Scott!

Oh - and another big "thank you" to BulletProofDiesel - your billet water pump is a GREAT little addition. I will be evaluating it as best I can and writing up some thoughts on it. Bottom line - it performed VERY WELL, but then the ambient temps dropped quite a bit the day after I picked it up. More testing will come when I tow with it (unfortunately I did not get it installed during the "hot" season).

Old 11-01-2011, 02:15 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm glad your trip went well Mark. Now you know why I drive all that way to get my major work done. There's not enough good that I can say about Scott and his quality of service and if you turn wrenches for a living, watching him work is pleasure.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Just paid the last payment on the truck and got the title yesterday - feels GREAT!

Hit the 5 year mark on Oct 30th and hit 99,700 miles today.

I chose to celebrate by having headstuds put in .... along w/ the beta version of the water pump w/ the billet impellor, 4" Banks exhaust, and (finally) had the DynaTrac ball joints installed.

Over the last 10 days, I took a 3500 mile (roundtrip) vacation w/ the truck. I had the work done at "Trucks Unlimited" in Winston-Salem, NC by Scott Wisenhunt in the "middle" of my trip. His shop did a fantastic job and the return trip w/ all of the work went flawlessly. I will post a separate post on his shop, just to brag on them - they deserve it. I got a good deal on an oil cooler (thanks Tim), so I had that changed out also - even though my temps really weren't bad. I did it mainly because I had so much casting sand in the beginning, I just felt better adding this to the scope of work. The original oil cooler showed no signs of being plugged. I had some other miscellaneous things done as well (added fumoto block drains, changed out glow plugs and harnesses, EGT probe, etc) - not really worth mentioning. I stayed w/ Ford Gold coolant for now. I saw no reason to change, but (as I have said in the past), I will most likely change to ELC soon.

The old ball joints didn't look bad, but the front end definitely feels "tighter".

This has been a great truck for the last 5 years and it is STILL a pleasure to drive! Next year (when the money is saved up again), I plan to join the SCT ranks!

Again - Thanks Tim, Moe, and Scott!

Oh - and another big "thank you" to BulletProofDiesel - your billet water pump is a GREAT little addition. I will be evaluating it as best I can and writing up some thoughts on it. Bottom line - it performed VERY WELL, but then the ambient temps dropped quite a bit the day after I picked it up. More testing will come when I tow with it (unfortunately I did not get it installed during the "hot" season).
Couldn't have anything to do with the fact that you take care of your truck, could it? Anyway, congrats on the work done. Mike

Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats on clearing ur milestone, mark! i love my 6.0 as well, and i'm glad u do too!

here's wishing u many more miles on ur baby, and best of luck on ur future projects. i hope to make some upgrades and do some more maintenance on my 6.0 in the near future. tat'll give me something more to talk about. lol.

have a wonderful week ahead!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
I am at 200,100 miles as of today (11/1/11) in my 2003, 6.0L Excursion.

Only major stuff done since new are:

1) New injectors (180,000 miles)

2) New HFCM fuel pump (can't remember mileage)

Fresh fluids and filters... and a coolant filter are the way to go!!!!

Look out 300,000 miles, here I come (probably 3.5 - 4 years that is).

Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,702 Posts
It is great to see folks rack up the miles. Thanks for the update Jeff.

I am amazed that your FICM is still the original! Also, what about your suspension parts (ball joints etc)? I see a lot of folks whose ball joints don't make it past 100k. Mine look like they would have easily made 150k, but I am glad they have been replaced. How long did your brake pads last? Mine are about half worn now.

At 100k miles (apprx), this is no doubt the best truck I have owned.

My broken parts list is (excluding alternators, batteries, shocks, etc):
- front window seals - warranty covered
- front wheel 4x4 hub (I think from 4WD launches, but can't prove it) - warranty covered
- STC fitting, standpipes, dummy plugs - warranty covered
- FICM - warranty covered
- oh, and the weak OEM fuel pressure regulator spring!
- pulse vacuum solenoid (leaking)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 03 has stock balljoints and theyre pretty worn but I also have slightly oversized tires (305-70-16), planning on changing them myself soon with moogs, I love how easy they are to change on these superdutys I almost enjoy doing balljoints on these trucks now, I do hate changing the axle shaft u joints though haha

my truck rolled over 97k today with no major work except for the ficm resolder and turbo vein cleaning/ new up pipes I've done, it sure is a great feeling knowing your ruck is paid for

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats Mark, got to look into that billet water pump is very cool. I like that over the plastic one.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
It is great to see folks rack up the miles. Thanks for the update Jeff.

I am amazed that your FICM is still the original! Also, what about your suspension parts (ball joints etc)? I see a lot of folks whose ball joints don't make it past 100k. Mine look like they would have easily made 150k, but I am glad they have been replaced. How long did your brake pads last? Mine are about half worn now.

At 100k miles (apprx), this is no doubt the best truck I have owned.

My broken parts list is (excluding alternators, batteries, shocks, etc):
- front window seals - warranty covered
- front wheel 4x4 hub (I think from 4WD launches, but can't prove it) - warranty covered
- STC fitting, standpipes, dummy plugs - warranty covered
- FICM - warranty covered
- oh, and the weak OEM fuel pressure regulator spring!
- pulse vacuum solenoid (leaking)
I stand corrected... I was referring to major engine parts.

I have also corrected the following:
1) Ball joints
2) Brakes and rotors (2 or 3 times)
3) Pulse vacuum solenoid
4) Front bearings/hubs (all 1 assembly)
5) Batteries