1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my lock punched...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my lock punched...

I got in the truck today and noticed the contents of my glove box on the floorboard. So I looked around for a broken window. Nothing. So I got out to look at the keyholes and my driver side had been punched. No visible damage to the door, door handle or lock itself. It looks as though whomever punched it in such a way to not really disturb anything. I don't know how they got the door open, as I could feel nothing inside the hole that would unlock the door. The only thing taken was my console tray with all of $1.25 in change. I already filed an insurance claim and will get the lock repaired and a new console tray. Just thought I would share. I have seen locks punched before, but always with door damage or handle damage, or even lock damage. Nothing in my case.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Same thing happened on my Dad's 01 a while back. Alarm went off and they took off nothing taken and no damage other than a new cylinder. Handle wasn't even scratched!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Kingsnake
Freshman User
I had this happen to my 02 F-150 too. Basically they take a flat screw driver punch the lock out and trust the entire lock cylinder which unlocks the door... It can be done quicker than most people can open a door with a key.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A set of Jimmi-Jammers stop all that and should be the first mod you do on your Super Duty.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices

Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pappy19
A set of Jimmi-Jammers stop all that and should be the first mod you do on your Super Duty.

Vehicle Security and Theft Prevention Devices
Wish they had a version that ran high voltage thru the thing... someone touches it with a screwdriver, knock them out... Or maybe something that swings the nerf bar to whack em in the nuts so they can't muddy up the gene pool further down the road...

Hate thieves... If I ever catch one next to my cars I'm going to jail...

Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
I like this Fosters guy!!

I'm telling you if I'd caught the chump who stole mine in August he would never walk again...

Mine was damaged under the handle. They obviously got frustrated with that and punched out the lock. They then damage the tumbler so they could start the truck w/o the key. I bet the whole thing took less than one minute...

I am putting a rear crew-cab door on the passenger side (which the new trucks have). I still intend to install Jimmy-jammers. They won't prevent some a-hole from damaging the truck below the handle who has the intent to steal it - but they won't get access that way...

If someone wants it bad enough they'll get it - but you can bet they'll work much harder next time!!! I've even looking into billet-aluminum CNC handles so the locks can't be punched out so easy (don't know if you need Jimmy-jammers with these or not)...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I just ordered a set of the Jimmi Jammers. I will have the body shop or dealer (whichever the insurance company wants to send it to) install them along with the new lock and/or handle. I don't know what actually broke, as the handle looks good as does the lock inside.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can't screwdriver under wit the JJ plate.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I'm just going to leave the doors unlocked in future. The thief found out quickly that I had nothing of value in the truck. The only thing of remote value was my OBD-II code reader in the driver door that wasn't touched. Yet they emptied out my glove box (what the hell did they think I had in there? I guess I store my gold in the glove box). They took the console tray with change in it, but otherwise left the console alone. Which I don't really get either. Take the change, but what did you need an empty tray for? The last time my truck was broken into (just a broken window at that time), all that was taken was the change in the console. Until the door gets fixed, the door won't really lock anyway, so I guess they can come back for some more change!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Spending $35 plus shipping for two pieces of thin sheetmetal and a hose clamp? A set can be lasered out for under $2. Maybe I'll buy a set and duplicate them for my dads truck so he doesn't have to pay $40 for two more pieces of thin sheetmetal and a hose clamp.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dkf
Spending $35 plus shipping for two pieces of thin sheetmetal and a hose clamp? A set can be lasered out for under $2. Maybe I'll buy a set and duplicate them for my dads truck so he doesn't have to pay $40 for two more pieces of thin sheetmetal and a hose clamp.
True, but I have no access to any equipment to make the system on my own, so I have to buy what's available. I was just happy it wasn't $350.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
I had this happen to me two years ago. It was a guy and girl team. Guy broke into the truck while the girl was the lookout. Only problem was I was coming back from the dog park and stopped at a stater bros to get my 110lb pit bull some more water and food on the way home. Guess the guy didnt see him sitting in the back of my then ext cab. Max (dog) bit pretty much the entire whole right side of the guys face off and had him by the shoulder when the 3 way alarm went off and I came running out to see WTF was going on. He is lucky that his second bite was his collar bone/shoulder area and not his neck because the guy would have been a corpse. I had to replace the door lock and my front seat cover. After that I just started leaving the door open but the alarm on. Figured they can try the handle first and since it will open it will save my door/window from damage but scare them away when the alarm goes off.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JUSTICE......
Guess the guy didnt see him sitting in the back of my then ext cab. Max (dog) bit pretty much the entire whole right side of the guys face off and had him by the shoulder

Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
F250CCowner
Senior User
You could say that. He had a wrap sheet as long as my arm and that pretty much what saved me and my dog from paying his medical costs and max in quarantine.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
I would have loved to see him try and explain that one to the judge even if he had no priors...

"How'd the incident happen?"

"well, I was going thru this guy's truck... "

Give that dog a treat from me when you get home. I'm guessing he didn't go off when the guy approached the truck, before he opened the door... Mine doesn't go off either at people right outside the truck, but I've had people make the mistake of opening the door before me...

Quick Reply: Had my lock punched...