Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2011, 04:18 PM
New User

Go4shirts is starting off with a positive reputation.
4x4 not working help!

I have a 2005 F250 PSD. Recently got stuck in some mud to find out the front wheels are not receiving power in high or low. The drive shaft is turning to the front axle. And both rear wheels are turning. If hubs are in auto or manual front wheel still do not have power. A/c is working fine. Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
is the vacuum pump working ?? its on the passengers side inner fender-well. you will hear it when you first tun the key on every time.
You also need to check the rubber hoses from the front knuckles for crack's
then check the plastic line to the pump for crack's.

they will not work without vacuum.

If your locking it in and it still doesn't work. you need to take the hubs off and clean them out.
My friend had the same thing happen to his truck. drive-line turned but not the front wheels.. we had to take apart the hub's and clean them out, re-grease and re-install.

here is a link.. http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/allube.php

They will and do get stuck from time to time.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
New User

Thanks sand_fiend
It sounds like the pump is working. There doesn't appear to be any cracks. I'm going to pick up a Vacuum & Pressure Tester today to test the system. I'm also going to pull the hubs and clean and inspect those in the next few days. I will let you know the result in the next few days.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM
New User

Okay I have a vacuum leak, not sure where yet. Pulled the hubs and everything looks good. Gears look good, everything is spinning and working. No metal flakes and the bearings look good. If I turn the hubs to manual the front wheels still don't spin. Any ideas why with the hubs locked in that the front wheels don't spin?
Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Elder User

barthel has a good reputation on FTE.barthel has a good reputation on FTE.
JayBarthel
Put the hubs in lock and see if the wheels turn. If so, then the hubs may be your vacuum leak, meaning they're not pulling in. If they don't lock on "lock" then there's a larger driveline issue.

"0-60 takes 5 and a half seconds...and about 17 gallons of fuel...."
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
New User

Wheels don't turn when locked. Drive shaft is spinning.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Elder User

sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.sand_fiend has a good reputation on FTE.
Sandfiend
jack the front of your truck up and put it on jack stands. Wheels off ground. put blocks on your rear wheels so it will not roll. put the truck in neutral "NOT RUNNING"...
crawl under and spin the driveline by hand. Look at Both the axle U joints as you turn the driveline to see if they are turning.. If So. then you have a leak at the hub.. But if you put the hubs in manual, They should lock in..
I don't know, your ring and pinion may be bad if you turn the driveline and the axles dont turn.. ?????
Old 11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Posting Guru

pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.pappy19 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Replace the wheel vaccum hoses with steel wrapped, that where most problems start.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10 4X4 Lariat, Supercab/Shortbed, Pueblo Gold/Black, Loaded, Custom Front/Rear bumpers from South Texas Outfitters,Duraflaps, Access bed cover, Weatherguard, Air Raid, Mike's 5-Star-SCT(BAD!!), Superhides, TransferFlow 47 gal tank, Rigid LED lights, Mag-Hytec rear dif cover, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Magnaflow,Firestone Airbags,Fumoto Drain Plug.
2007 Lincoln LT-wifers(Mike's 5-Star,Magnaflow,K&N, STO Monster Bumper)
1996 Bronco EB-Almost Stock,STO Monster Bumper
Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM
New User

Thanks you everyone! It looks like it's just a vacuum leak. With the hubs locked in and turning the drive shaft the wheels turn. What a relief I can head up to deer camp without any worries of getting stuck. I will just have to get out and lock the hubs manually until spring and start replacing the lines. Again thank you for everyone's help what a great forum.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
4x4, ground, rear, spin, wheels