6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 VS 6.4

Old 10-30-2011, 03:51 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 VS 6.4

I Don't know if this is the right forum to ask this but I just wanted some feeback from the guys that went from the 6.4 to the 6.7 and how they liked them and if anyone had regretted buying the new 6.7. I've driven both and while I find the 6.7 alot. It's Alot more money than I wnat to spend. But from what I'm told the 6.7s have a lot less problems.. Ive found a really good deal on an 08 6.4 with 42k miles that I can buy for the NADA average trade in price. and I do like the truck. it checked out pretty good with no major problems. But when I went to the Ford Dealer yesterday to take it in to get an Oasis report ran both my service advisors pretty much said to avoid the 6.4 and 6.0 trucks as they are a complete nightmare . They had more than a few with the long list of repair items on a few trucks and walked me back to the service bay and showed me all of the 6.4 and 6.0's dangling in the back with the cab's off of them. meanwhile they haven't had a single 6.7 in for anything major other than some PCM recalibrations and a waterpump change. which sounds more attractive to me.
I also have no interest in owning a gas powered F250 and no offense to anyone who has one but I can't justify spending this kinda of money for something that I wasn't a 100% happy with. I've also looked at the DODGE and Chevy 3/4 tons and didn't really care for either one of them. so looks like ford is my only option. thanks for the feedback guys I'm still going back and forth trying make up my mind. it's just hard to justify the $12000 price diffrence between a 6.4 and a 6.7.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 6.4 and put a little over 150,000 miles on it. I had no problems with the engine, but the cooling system was not holding up. 5 radiators and the thermostats were stuck open when I traded it in.

My 6.7 has been equally as solid, I have already had the radiator replaced too. It's a more powerful and economical engine and the new transmission is also a major upgrade. You will spend less money to maintain and operate the 6.7 than you will the 6.4.

In my opinion, if you get the 6.4, you should also get a DPF/doc delete and tune it. This will run you over $2000.00 so factor that into your finances. A tuned 6.4 is much better than stock. So your price differential is more like $9000. Consider the cost per mile, which will be lower with the 6.7.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:50 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
wow that alot of damn radiators! my service advisor pretty much told me those most common problems. and theyve had quite a few in for HPFP also another expensive fix. but atleast you've had no problems with them.. Ive known a few people with the 6.4s and theyve loved them and have had very few issues.. I'm also looking for reliability as I'm looking to keep this truck atleast 10 years down the road.

I've ridden in a coworkers of mines 2010 6.4 with a superchips tuner with a DPF delete and that thing ran pretty darn good. I can't deny that.. Thanks for your advice man!

Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6.7 is a "better" engine in the overall. 6.4 has alot more tuning capabilities if you're looking for alot of power/go fast. Both have HPFP and radiator issues. The 6.7 seems to be off to a better start, but let's wait a few years and see what all happens.

I was going to buy a used 6.4 (2010) and ended up with a new 6.7 (2011). Price difference ended up being less than $4,000, brand new vs. 20k miles on the 2010. Granted the 2010 was a Harley truck, but it still made more sense to purchase the new one.

Warranty wasn't a concern for me, as I'm tuning the 6.7 and deleting the emissions crap so the warranty would be gone for either truck. If you don't plan on tuning your truck you will get alot more warranty buying the new 6.7. How well Ford is going to stand behind the 6.7 is yet to be determined. I've seen more than a few cases where Ford left the customer hanging and denied warranty claims for iffy reasons.....not sure how it will all play out.

In short, if you must only purchase a Ford, I'd get the 6.7. All B/S aside, it will cost you less in the end. Plus the new body style and new interior of the 2011 is a HUGE upgrade over the 08-10. Cooled seats are sweet!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Champ198
Elder User
The problems that I experienced with the 6.4 were the typical ones.

blue turbo hose had leak (lost turbo pressure while towing) - fixed
white smoke on high humidity days (water accumulation in charge air cooler)
charge air cooler radiator leak - replaced
main cooling radiator leak - replaced
leaking sunroof - never solved
rear diff leak - fixed
poor air flow/poor cooling from A/C - no fix
poor mileage - nature of the 6.4 and regen process

I've not had one problem with the 2011 truck other than the 49 mph characteristic suspension hop. Well, I did have a minor fluid leak under the brake pedal in the cab. The 6.7 has been running great in comparison to the 6.4.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Front Runner
Elder User
If I were in the market for a diesel, I would get a 6.7 instead of the 6.4. The 6.4 I had had zero problems and was a great truck but if I needed another diesel, I would choose the 6.7 hands down.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
why would you buy a truck that gets about 30% or more less fuel mileage??? doing what I do I spend about $600/mo on diesel, kicking an extra $200 bucks/mo pays for the 6.7 if you ask me just in fuel savings. thats pushing close to 10 grand in fuel savings over 4 years at current diesel prices. now how good does buying a 6.4 sound now???

Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
952X4
Senior User
I traded my 2008 6.4 dually in on a 2011 6.7 dually, and I'm a very happy camper..The 6.4 was a nightmare...I had the radiator replaced three times, the EGR once, the CAC blew off while towing and left me without boost..The bedplate leaked oil like crazy, had to have the cab off and the engine pulled two different times for that. It always leaked something, either oil, tranny fluid or coolant, sometimes all at once. I never trusted it...

The 6.4 made oil big time...seemd to regen way more than necessary and got horrible fuel mileage.. Best I ever got with the 6.4, was 13 running solo and 8 towing... Mind you that was with a 4.3 rear gear. My 6.7 gets about 19 running solo and 12 towing...with a 3.73 rear gear.

The 6.7 is more powerful, quieter, the truck rides much smoother and is much more economical.. No problems at all with mine and I love it...

If you do by a 6.4, insist on an extended warranty, run it hard and do the maintenance religiously... Praying wouldn't hurt either...

Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
Originally Posted by cummins cowboy
why would you buy a truck that gets about 30% or more less fuel mileage??? doing what I do I spend about $600/mo on diesel, kicking an extra $200 bucks/mo pays for the 6.7 if you ask me just in fuel savings. thats pushing close to 10 grand in fuel savings over 4 years at current diesel prices. now how good does buying a 6.4 sound now???

well this is definetly true about the fuel cost factor. something I didn't really consider but the 08 I drove yesterday didnt seem to show that bad on the mileage readout about 13.5 city and about about 17 Hwy and that's not much worse than the POS 2010 Ford F150 I'm trying to get rid of. the 08 I'm looking at I can purchase for $32K (it books for about 38K) the cheapest 6.7 i've found in my area that's equipped the way I like is about $45k and that is a very big difference. but from the way it's looking it might be more benefical to just wait a little bit and hold out for a 6.7 it seems like more people are happier with them! thanks for the responses guys!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I would not trust the readout, you need you hand calculate the fuel mileage. also 17 sounds really really high from the reports I have read of over 6.4 owners. when I bought my truck I also could have saved a bundle by getting a 6.4 instead. I paid 42k for my XLT 4x4, if you can still find 2011's on the lot the way you want and with incentives being offered now, I could have got my truck for a couple grand less than then.

remember invoice price, less incentives, I got my truck for $500 below invoice. edmunds.com will help you figure out the exact invoice price. remember an 08 is already 3 years old nearly 4, think about in 4 years from now, you will have almost saved the difference in fuel alone, and the greater value of a 3-4 year newer truck will leave you money ahead of the 08, at the end of the day I think you save money getting the newer truck.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:54 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts
I have the 6.4 right now. Works great for me. 60K on it and I have my orginal parts. Radiator on mine is rock solid.

But if I were to buy I'd opt for newer technology vs older.

On the other hand, depending upon your duty cycle the 6.4 can be a good motor.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
maxxoffroad
Junior User
Need to look at interest rate also. Normally will get a better rate on a new vs used.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
B HOOFED
Junior User
Just traded up from a 6.4 to a 6.7. The 6.7 is a huge leap ahead of the 6.4 in terms of power and torque, refinement, fuel economy, and transmission (6 speed auto with manual shift capability, vs 5 speed auto without). If you're planning on drag racing a tuned 6.4 is the way to go, but for towing the 6.7 is better hands down and worth the additional money if you can swing it. I also didn't like the quirkiness of the emissions system on the 6.4. The regens seem excessive and really kill fuel economy. 16 to 17 highway is possible for a single rear wheel 6.4 empty in good working order, but many have reported the mpg slipping over time with the DPF clogging or other undiagnosed issues.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:07 AM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
only way I ever saw 17mph in my 6.4 was driving downhill.
I enjoyed everything about my 08 6.4, but the poor fuel mileage finally drove me to trade her in. I hand figure my mileage, and the new 6.7 is worlds better both empty and towing.
If I was to do it all over again, my decision would still be the same - the new 6.7's are that much nicer.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just lease a new 6.7 and save your money. I'd bet a lease payment on a brand new 6.7 will be less than your payment for buying a used one outright.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.7 VS 6.4