6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tuxedo vs. Clear coat black

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:48 AM
slipry14
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuxedo vs. Clear coat black

Well......I ordered my 12' 350 on October 3rd in clear coat black. I looked up my window sticker yesterday and it says tuxedo black. Talked to general manager at dealership and it appears that everything ordered on or after that will now be tuxedo black. My truck is scheduled to be built this week so it is too late to change the color. I am not happy. All of my vehicles and toys are black. GM said he would order me a new one in a different color if I wanted. I looked at a f-150 that was in tuxedo, but is was cloudy out so it didn't look hardly any different than regular black. What do you guys think of the tux black vs regular black. I have heard it looks dirty all the time. I would probably go silver if I reordered evan though it is a far second from black for me. I don't really want to wait any longer but don't want to regret it for years either. I would appreciate your input guys. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I think Tuxedo black looks a lot better than normal black. Its a very unique color that only expensive OEMs use.

I would look at more Tuxedo blacks in the sun before I would throw my order away.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:13 AM
cirrus365
Elder User
I have the Tuxedo black. From a distance it looks like a normal black but up close you can see the metal flake. I have had several compliments of people loving the color. I like it.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
bigoltrk
Senior User
I ordered my 2012 F450 on Oct 7th with Tuxedo Black. It was on hold a week ago because it shows "late availability" on exterior color. So I had them change it to black. As of this past Friday there was still no order confirmation or VIN.

They think the late availability may mean late 2012 instead of late 2011. My wife's Fusion was Tuxedo Black and it didn't look dirty all the time. It looked black and when the sun hit it, it lit up and looked even sharper.

I'll let you know what my window sticker shows. I should have it this week.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a nice color, for a car. IMO tuxedo black is too much for a 22' long crew cab truck. I went with reg black and glad I did. I saw a tuxedo black crew cab at the dealership and it looks too "sparkly" for me.

My wife's suv is tuxedo black and it looks nice, for a girls suv....

Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
As stated fromany distance the Tuxedo black looks black. But up close your get to see the metal flake. I think it looks great.

Even better, When I had to replace my bed, and bought a white take off bed that needed to be painted, matching the color of the Tuxedo Black was a non-event. Paint store manager said it "Always matches"

Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The only difference is the metal flake in the tuxedo black. It's still not as black as regular black but it is close.

I prefer plain black, it's "blacker". My '08 was black and I was kind of disappointed with the new tuxedo black but I did not have a choice.

That being said, I still would not change my order if I were you. It's not a big enough deal to me to warrant a big change. It may be to you though, so I hope my opinion helps you make a decision.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 PM
slipry14
Junior User
Thanks guys. You are easing my nerves. Wife and I went back to the dealership because the sun is out. It definitely is not as black. There were two f150s parked two cars apart. I could tell from 50' away that one was tux and the other cc black. I liked the cc black better, but the tux wasn't as bad as I expected. I looked at the silver again, but I'm worried I will get sick of it after awhile. Looks like I am going to be stuck with the tuxedo. I don't know if I could handle the extra wait for a new order anyways. I am jonesing for my new truck. How well does the tuxedo hold up after time? It seems like it should hide swirls and fine scratches well. Thanks again for the input.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM
bigoltrk
Senior User
That's one of the reasons I wanted this color. On the Fusion, the swirl marks and light scratches didn't seem as noticeable.

When I traded my 7.3 I had 188k miles. It was black on silver with an 8" susp lift. I spent soooo much time cleaning and polishing (even underneath the truck) that I thought I wanted a different color. I went with white on my 6.0. About two weeks later, I looked at my wife and told her I was bored with it. Lesson learned, I like black. It's a great color (as long as it's clean).

Old 10-30-2011, 02:44 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I get at least 1 complement per week at how nice the tux black is. You can't see any swirl marks and scratches are almost invisible with all the metal flakes in it. IMO it looks best clean and in the sun. I have seen some CC Black trucks and you can really see all the scratches in them, just what i like and everyone is different. Don't think you can go wrong with either of them, Black is the best looking color, for any car or truck.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My F250 is Tuxedo black and the cap is black clear coat. You can't tell the difference from a foot away

Old 10-30-2011, 03:50 PM
bigoltrk
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
My F250 is Tuxedo black and the cap is black clear coat. You can't tell the difference from a foot away
That was one of my worries. I have a black Snugtop and if the Tuxedo Black happens, I wasn't sure if I'd be re-painting or not. I probably will though, for the sunny days....and OCD.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
AMEC Electric LLC
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I've always owned Ford black trucks and I am extremely happy with the Tuxedo black. I get lots of compliments on the color...even car guys. It also hides the dirt and scratches better. I have a 2011 Mustang in standard black and sitting next to each other the choice is easy....Tuxedo hands down!

Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM
mvedepo
Senior User
You will love the color. I went back and forth on it as well. It's been over a year and I'm still getting compliments all the time. I love it.

Also for the record it's not really a metallic paint. The flake you see is actually glass. Thats why it reflects like a prism.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
nut1605
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a black F-150 when I was in high school, and when I got rid of it I swore I would never own a black truck again.

Between that F-150 and my 2011 I had two trucks, and both were white. When I was getting ready to order this truck, I had already decided on the white tri-coat metallic, but when I went to the dealership for a final "sanity check", they had the tuxedo black sitting on the lot and I instantly told my wife "that's it".

True, it doesn't appear as "black" as the CC black, but the metal flake (or glass flake) is amazing. Everybody who sees my truck can't help but comment on it. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to order the tuxedo black.

Quick Reply: Tuxedo vs. Clear coat black