Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry / Anti Theft Module Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM
JHadds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Entry / Anti Theft Module Problems

I have searched and read the threads, but I can't seem to find an answer to my problem. Maybe I did not dig deep enough, but here goes.

I have a 2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 4WD.

Within the last 6 to 8 months the Keyless Entry stopped working, well almost it only works intermittently. There seem to be two problems that may or may not be linked.

#1 Power seems to go out on the keypad when the truck has been locked for a while and when you press the buttons, no lights come on and it does not work at all. After I unlock the car with the key and open and close the door, the power comes back to keypad and it will work. ( Kinda sucks, locked my keys in the car once and has to pay a tow truck guy $50 to get me in)

#2 The keyfobs almost completely stopped working. The only work every once in a while. I have 2 of them, I have changed the batteries twice in each thinking that a two pack I picked up were bad and even got the second set at a different store. I have done the reprogram thing by cycling the ignition 8 times and using the buttons on the remotes. It did take the programming but I had to press the buttons quite a few times to get it to work.

I did come across a thread about Explorers having a problem with the module going bad due to static electricity issues. But that was apparently due to a bad ground on the drivers seat where the module is located. I know that the Excursion Module is located under the dash in various locations. I believe I have found mine but have not yet confirmed it with a mirror.

Has anyone had issues like this? Do the modules go bad? Is it an expensive fix? I am assuming I will have to have some things reprogrammed by the dealership if I have to buy a new one.

Any help would be great. Scratching my head here and going a little crazy.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM
JHadds
New User
Ok, just got home from the dealership. They RE-Programmed my VSM, ( Also Called the CSM according to the Tech ) and viola!, all my problems went away. Everything working as it should. I asked them to not even try and flash the new module by using the old one. I asked them to use their computer to bring up the AS Built Data and use that. They agreed that it would be better since the 1st time around didn't work successfully. Was in and out in 45 min. No charge for the second time around as their shouldn't have been. Paid $110 for the new VSM/CSM and $108.00 with tax here in NY for the 1 HR it took to program. I did however remove the lower dash under the radio and ashtray and have the module dangling out onto the tranny hump to save them the hour or two it would have taken them to get the old one out and button it all back up, so that did save me money. New most updated part number is 4C7Z-15604-AC.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I missed this thread the first time you posted it, but I couldn't have helped anyway had I seen it.

I just repped you for coming back to post the solution to your problem. Hopefully it will help someone else in the future.

Stewart

Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 AM
'02strokerpilot
Senior User
I wonder if re programming or replacing my VSM would fix my problem as well...my keyless entry totally quit working, I took it to the dealer to try brand new fobs, the truck acts like it recognizes the programming of the fobs while in program mode but after I exit the program(open a door) the new remotest don't work. Also I have replaced my remote batteries with the same outcome...everything else works flawlessly in regards to locks/unlocked etc...

Old 07-02-2012, 03:20 AM
JHadds
New User
I'm not sure if re-programming would help. The VSM / ( CSM ) that was in my car was toast. A little fried and program corrupt. In fact when they read the old one and programmed the new one the first time, the program was corrupt and the car thought my doors were open when they were closed, my dome light and radio stayed on almost all the time. Once they re-programmed with AS BUILT DATA for my truck from the FORD DEALERSHIP COMPUTER SYSTEM. All was well with the new module. Still works awesome to this day. Keypad on the door works perfect, keyfobs too. The VSM unit is actually the receiver for the keyfobs. A tech told me that these units, if original, were common problems with the early Excursions / Superduty trucks that came with keypad on the door / keyfobs. Apparently not so widespread that ford picked up the tab, but there have been a couple of different part variations and changes to the VSM over the past few years. New most updated part number at the time of my install was 4C7Z-15604-AC.
It appears that partsguyed @ WWW.HORIZONPARTSGUY.COM has that PN and his price is $110.78. Which is a good price. MSRP at a local dealer ( which they charge everyone unless you have an account with them such as an auto repair shop you own) will be $131.00 possibly more. I had a friend on the inside at the Ford Parts counter and paid the same price as this website plus tax. You'll still have you have the dealer physically program it with the ford programming tool. But if you remove the dash and have the old one loose before you go in for your appointment it will save time and hopefully save you some cash. Mention that they use AS BUILT DATA for your truck to do the programming and not to futz around with the old unit as it may be corrupt and not copy properly to the new unit. Mostly causing you grief and making you feel used while the dealer makes you feel like a dope trying to get you leave the truck and pay outrageous hourly labor rates to "diagnose the problem" that's what happened with me after the first time they programmed NOT using the AS BUILT DATA and copying from the old. My keyfobs worked great but many other problems instantly popped up. Like the doors thinking they were ajar when they were closed and vice / versa. And the tech was like, "you may have some bad door sensors. You should leave it and let us diagnose and change parts". To the tune of over $100 per hour. NO THANKS. If I was not a tinkerer and somewhat educated car guy. I may have been duped into leaving the car and having them empty my wallet. Instead I took it home, dealt with it for two days while I did some feelling around with my buddy that worked in parts. Turned out, the tech was not that experienced and an old timer tech basically said in so many words that he took the easy road and did a quick download and re-program of my device instead of looking it up on the computer and writing the data from that, treating the car as if the data was wiped completely and not recoverable. Also in so many words the old timer said that tech was a bit of a dope too. So I scheduled another appointment and they programmed the right way in a short amount of time and everything has worked great since. ( and they didn't charge me again which was only fair and also lead me to believe that this may not have been the first time this tech messed up ) Best $200 and change I have spent. Life is easier and I no longer get locked out of my EX!!

BEST OF LUCK and Please Post your Experience here for future users

Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 PM
'02strokerpilot
Senior User
Thx, will post my results...