1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1960 Seat ideas

Old 04-10-2003, 10:14 PM
bememe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1960 Seat ideas

It's time to get going on my truck again. I need to get some ideas on which seats have been used. I need to seat 3 so buckets are out unless they have a console/seat in the middle. I could stick with the stock bench but mine is shot and will need complete overhaul. Let me know what you've used. Thx.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:16 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 712 Likes on 256 Posts
1960 Seat ideas

be....

the choices are as varied as personal taste. If you're a pure restoration guy you can ignore that last sentence.. you of course, want the original frame reworked with authentic period upholstery material and straw batting for pad (over burlap of course). But, we street truck builders and lovers of recliners want our rides to be as comfortable as our beloved Fat-o-loungers and with some of the same features if possible. The physical shape and size of your cab will have a lot to do with your choices. If your cab is a pre '53 you’re not going to be able to shoe horn in a set of 6 way 60/40 Caddy bench seats. But you can rework or replace your factory seats with something using modern padding and support cushioning and covering. Several of the after market seat manufacturers can rework your existing framework or custom build frames and support structure to fit any compartment. A good local upholstery man can make a milk crate with a 2x4 back into a comfortable seat.

Another option is salvage yard seats. You literally have your choice of hundreds of shapes and sizes and your only limitation is getting the doors closed. Trucks lend their shape well to big plush bench seats… built for cruising with multiple guests there’s lots of room there for company; although many builders will drop in a set of buckets with a slick functional console. This avenue will reward you with electric slide, tilt, lift, lumbar support, and even heat if you want it.

There are several after market sources for seats and consoles. Two I can name right now are Glide Engineering ( www.glideeng.com) and Tea’s Designs (www.teasdesign.com). Another excellent source is found at car shows and swap meets.. many of the van and truck conversion businesses have seats, consoles and such that have been taken out of factory trucks when they replaced them with custom interiors. Most times these units are brand new and can be had for a very good price… if you’re lucky you might find your color choice. I got my full sized Chevy bench seat (in recoverable condition) for fifty bucks like this.

What ever choice you make for seating and replacements if that applies.. make provisions for seat belts.. preferably three point units Check with local officials. In some states there are laws that require belts and even if your vehicle is exempt, common sense dictates that you include them for your own safety and the safety of your passengers. After market vendors offer new belts and all the necessary hardware in many colors. Juliano’s is a very good source. (www.julianos.com). I wouldn’t depend on salvage yard belts, you don’t know their condition and if they have been strained to their breaking point in a previous accident. I don’t think most reputable yard guys would even sell them to you, especially with all the liability involved.

hpe it helps

john

Search this Thread