1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Who is Charlie anyway? 1/3 ton truck and 48-50 Magic Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Ya,I guess they'd get stuck in the door way too,lol

The cab really is decent other than the top being caved in. Havi, Maybe I can slide some panels under the door

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
1950F2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a magic air in my 1950 F2 but the heater core is shot. Where can i guy get one??
of another set up. My bower works (6V) all flaps and such.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
There was quite a bit of discussion on here about a year or so ago about the core and 12v motor replacements options, seems like someone found the core replacement if I remember right. Also someone found the replacement part # for blower motor and using that I found a local supplier. I think it was "blue oval rage" ?? Ill search for those threads later soon as I get a few minutes to look.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, that was me. I scoured heater core catalogs for several days and I did find an available core that is exactly the right dimensions, but the tube locations are wrong. It would work if you were handy enough with a propane torch to swap one of the tanks. The motor problem I did come up with a good solution for. I found a 2-speed 12 volt motor out of a school bus defroster that was almost a drop-in replacement. I had to do a little minor reworking of the mounting studs, but it was otherwise perfect. I can dig up the info on either part if someone is in need of it.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:53 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
Yep, that was me. I scoured heater core catalogs for several days and I did find an available core that is exactly the right dimensions, but the tube locations are wrong. It would work if you were handy enough with a propane torch to swap one of the tanks. The motor problem I did come up with a good solution for. I found a 2-speed 12 volt motor out of a school bus defroster that was almost a drop-in replacement. I had to do a little minor reworking of the mounting studs, but it was otherwise perfect. I can dig up the info on either part if someone is in need of it.
Since your research I have changed out laptops and lost my favorites, which I had saved of your write up.

Could you find it again and post it, please?

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Is this the one your thinking of??
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ter-cores.html

Other than Julie talking about wearing a skirt, high heels and getting pinched on the @ss and telling Bill off it's got lots of great info in it...

here is another thread on the info for the heater motors.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tor-found.html

Using the part numbers supplied I found the motor locally from about $44 or so in this thread. I havent ordered one yet. has anybody else used one of them yet? it is only a 2 speed motor?
http://www.rydersafetyservices.com/r...oductDetail.do

Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

I didn't re-read all of those old threads because reading any that fraud's comments makes my head hurt, but the core that is the proper dimensions is Proliance/Ready-Rad part# 399406. There's just no way that it is a drop-in fit regardless of what the transvestite claims and the pics of the core in that thread prove it. It is the closest fit available and it would work, though, if the tank was swapped or modified to get the tubes exiting the back side rather than the end. That's the closest possibility I could find. Unfortunately, a readily available drop-in replacement for either the '48-'51 or '52 core design just isn't out there. Trust me - I would have found it if there was. I was going to buy one of the 399406 cores and attempt the mods, but I eventually ran a cross a NOS '52 Magic Air core on eBay for about the same money and bought it instead. No mods required!

As far as a 12V motor goes, I had a little better luck. There are a couple that I found that would work, but this one is, in my opinion, the best solution:

Single Shaft Blower Motor - School Bus Parts - A Parts Warehouse

It's 12V and 2-speed, so it only needs a two position switch with no resistors to operate with the original two speeds. The motor housing and shaft dimensions are perfect also. The best part was the price. Dirt cheap at $25! None of the other options found by me or submitted by others could even come close on price. These folks ship quickly too and you can order online. The only thing I had to do to make it fit was swap out the housing bolts so they could be turned around for proper mounting. With the way the original bolts are designed, they couldn't just be turned around. I just got new ones from the hardware store for a couple bucks. There are two nuts under the bottom cover that have to be removed to get the bolts out. Be CAREFUL when doing this as it it really easy to let the armature pull out of the brushes in the front of the housing and they are a raging beetch to get back in. Don't ask me how I know. The simple solution is to just wrap 4 or 5 wraps of electrical tape around the shaft right up at the housing before you take anything apart so it can't slip back through. I'm making this sound really complicated, but it's not. I wouldn't even say it qualifies as mildly difficult - just wrap the shaft so it can't pull through! I had pics of the whole procedure, but that camera is now in the wind. When I get back around to working on my heater, I'll try to get some new ones and update that thread.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:33 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
I didn't re-read all of those old threads because reading any that fraud's comments makes my head hurt, but the core that is the proper dimensions is Proliance/Ready-Rad part# 399406. There's just no way that it is a drop-in fit regardless of what the transvestite claims and the pics of the core in that thread prove it. It is the closest fit available and it would work, though, if the tank was swapped or modified to get the tubes exiting the back side rather than the end. That's the closest possibility I could find. Unfortunately, a readily available drop-in replacement for either the '48-'51 or '52 core design just isn't out there. Trust me - I would have found it if there was. I was going to buy one of the 399406 cores and attempt the mods, but I eventually ran a cross a NOS '52 Magic Air core on eBay for about the same money and bought it instead. No mods required!

As far as a 12V motor goes, I had a little better luck. There are a couple that I found that would work, but this one is, in my opinion, the best solution:

Single Shaft Blower Motor - School Bus Parts - A Parts Warehouse

It's 12V and 2-speed, so it only needs a two position switch with no resistors to operate with the original two speeds. The motor housing and shaft dimensions are perfect also. The best part was the price. Dirt cheap at $25! None of the other options found by me or submitted by others could even come close on price. These folks ship quickly too and you can order online. The only thing I had to do to make it fit was swap out the housing bolts so they could be turned around for proper mounting. With the way the original bolts are designed, they couldn't just be turned around. I just got new ones from the hardware store for a couple bucks. There are two nuts under the bottom cover that have to be removed to get the bolts out. Be CAREFUL when doing this as it it really easy to let the armature pull out of the brushes in the front of the housing and they are a raging beetch to get back in. Don't ask me how I know. The simple solution is to just wrap 4 or 5 wraps of electrical tape around the shaft right up at the housing before you take anything apart so it can't slip back through. I'm making this sound really complicated, but it's not. I wouldn't even say it qualifies as mildly difficult - just wrap the shaft so it can't pull through! I had pics of the whole procedure, but that camera is now in the wind. When I get back around to working on my heater, I'll try to get some new ones and update that thread.

I'm not 100% sure, but I was looking at a heater core that I have on the shelf for one of the 66 Mustangs....the core appears to be the right size for the Magic Air, and the tubes are in exactly the right location. I'll snap a picture this weekend and post it here.

Dan

Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Joe I bookmarked the fan motor, as soon as I get through freakin X-mas I will be buying one.
Dan, I am interested in what you find with the heater core.

My heat box is different than the one Josh posted here, but I still have the fresh air tube that goes in the fender and I also have that 3 knobbed dash mount.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So...do you need a rolling F2 frame for that nice looking cab???

Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by old_dan
I'm not 100% sure, but I was looking at a heater core that I have on the shelf for one of the 66 Mustangs....the core appears to be the right size for the Magic Air, and the tubes are in exactly the right location. I'll snap a picture this weekend and post it here.

Dan
I've still got my catalog links here, so lessee..... the Mustang cores measure 7" x 5 3/4" x 2" and the Magic Air core is 7 3/4" x 7 3/4" x 2 1/2". Still a little on the small side. Like I said, I've been through a LOT of core catalogs looking for a good fit and the International Scout cores are about it. What makes it so tough is that close just won't cut it with these Magic Airs. Some heater housings are built so that you've got a little wiggle room for a slightly different core. THe Magic Air is built in such a way that you've got to use the right core or you'll have reduced airflow through the unit. It's a bit of an odd design.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
How about a core from a '75 Econoline?

It's slightly taller, 8 x 7 3/4 x 2 with 5/8" tubes.

VISTA-PRO Part # 399006, $50 at Rock Auto.

When I worked for a radiator repair shop back in the early '80s we used to go to the radiator warehouse and pick up a chunk of heater core. The radiatior guys would cut it to length and solder the old ends on. Maybe the core could be shortened.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Looks like a '48-'50 intake duct and mid tube . A pic of the fresh air tube elbow would help .I'll guess it is a '51/'52 elbow if the end is sq.One can make the above two '48 -'50 parts work w/ a ''51 /'52 elbow and a '51 /'52 Magic Air heater as shown in the pic .The '48-'50 mid tube is shorter to make for the longer intake / snout duct . The '51 / '52 intake duct / snout is shorter hence a longer mid tube for those 2 yrs..

Also will say the the truck will have a later '50 serial # .Heater was most likely a dealer installed option ( which the Magic Air heater was ) $62.40 in '52 . Was pay up or freeze you behind .

The heater core pic by Bob might work for a '51 . Would need to bend one edge of the heater core pan down ."51 & '52 cores are 7 3/4 x 7 3/4 .Also for a '52 would need to relocate one tube . Both '51 & '52 use the same top hole on the fire wall . C-C on a '52 is 3 1/8 " & 5 1/8 " on a '51 .