2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Control Invision DVD from Nav Screen?

Old 11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
KacieAD
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Control Invision DVD from Nav Screen?

Hi all! I'm here to see if anyone can possibly help me! I've googled and checked 1,000 places to find an answer and haven't found an answer that I like. Ha!

We purchased a brand new 2011 Expedition EL Limited with Navigation in July of this year. We asked for one with DVD so our 2 year old and 1 year old can watch movies when we travel (which is very frequently) to keep busy.

We're happy with the Invision headrest DVD set in the chairs, however, apparently (as I've learned while googling) they are dealer installed and we cannot control the stop, play, pause, etc. functions from up front. I am going to have a WRECK trying to play a stupid DVD for my kids. When I'm in the car by myself I have to pull over somewhere and cut it on and get it set up. It is the biggest hassle.

Someone PLEASE tell me there is some cable/cord we can run somewhere that will give us this capability! I'll take ANYTHING. I'll even buy another DVD player and put it in the console if someone will tell me how to connect it to the headrest dvd player. Anything to be able to put it in and push the buttons from up front. Ideally, I would love to be able to work it from my navigation screen (which plays a DVD itself when in park...but that's worthless to my kids in the back) but if no one knows of a way to make that happen, I'll take anything.

We paid a LOT of money for this vehicle, and I'd hoped it would be perfect - but this is ridiculous. With all the technology in the world they can't make it where I can play the DVD from up front. Ridiculous. Not to mention the headrest DVD's were nearly $2000 themselves.

Anyone have ANY advice besides buying new headrest DVDs? That's just not an option for financial reasons. Thank you!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
There is something out there for the older Expys that would allow you to override the factory controls. I forget what it is called though. You might do a search using 2008 nav system instead of 2011.
If I find it I will let you know.
It is called LockPick
http://www.coastaletech.com/

Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Johnny Law
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same system in my 2011. The owners manual states that if it the DVD's were factory installed they would be controllable from the NAV screen. Even though mine on the Invoice from the factory, they really are dealer installed (just ship with the truck). I even took my Expy in to the dealer to make them change it and they said they couldn't. So we are out of luck I guess. I am lucky that my kids are older so I don't have to do what you do but I do feel your pain.

The lockpick which is compatible with 2009-10 Expeditions won't help with the Headrest DVD's it will only allow you to play a DVD in the center console while driving.

Have you thought about a IR (infrared) repeater? All you would need to do is make sure they are turned on when you start out. You could blindly play, skip, pause the video using the remote. Not a great solution.