Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Senior User
1999 Ford F-350

northwindone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.northwindone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Early '99 to Late '99 Hub Bearing and Rotor Conversion

As I mentioned at the end of this thread I started in September, http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...l#post10842388, I'm in the middle of changing out my ball joints. Unfortunately I found today while removing the driver's side hub that I had some water intrusion into the hub bearing. Because of this the bearing feels and sounds like its last leg.

After seeing the price of early ’99 hub bearings I decided it may be beneficial to convert over to late ’99 rotors and hub bearings. Is it as simple as buying the late ’99 hub bearing assembly (with the 13mm flange) and the late ’99 rotors (14” rotors...EDIT: From my research it appears that 14" rotors were rare on '99-'03 trucks and that most still had 13" rotors), or does the brake bracket need replace as well to move the brake caliber assembly out ˝”. I’ve found very few threads that talk about this, but the ones I have found mention not needing to change the brake bracket, while other mention having problems with the rotor rubbing on the bracket. (EDIT: If the new rotors are 13" I guess this isn't a problem, still wouldn't mind some feedback though.)

I would just change the one hub bearing, but the other one doesn’t look to great thanks to dried out seals and for the extra cost I can buy rotors and still be ahead over just sticking to an early ’99 hub bearing.

UPDATE: For anyone who finds this post while doing a search, I've decided to order the late '99 hub bearings and rotors and give the conversion a try. I'll keep the thread mentioned above updated with my progress and whether or not it worked.

Last edited by northwindone; 10-31-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Updated after some more research and decision on what to buy
Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM
New User
Garage is empty, add now

Jonnycash is starting off with a positive reputation.
How did you make out?
I am thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Post Fiend
Garage is empty, add now

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just change to 2000 rotors and bearings....I just did. rotors are the same size...on SRW trucks.

Dick
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Senior User
1999 Ford F-350

northwindone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.northwindone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
How did you make out?
I am thinking of doing the same thing.
Didn't notice that someone had replied to this thread. I went ahead and bought the updated 13" rotors and hub bearings and the install went great with absolutely no problems. Saved some money and now I have new rotors and hub bearings on both sides. I'm sure most of you already know this, but 14" rotors were used on F-450s and 15" rotors were used on the F53 motorhome chassis.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:28 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
73, 99, bearing, bearings, brake, conversion, duty, early, f150, f250, hub, late, rotors, super, swap