1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 f250 VSS prob

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
02whtmax
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, that's kinda what i was thinking, know where i can find some sort of print out showing the location of all the ground wires?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
02whtmax
Freshman User
I've also noticed that when i come to a stop the needle will read correctly from about 30 down to 0, and when i take off from about 0 to 20 and then it goes all jumpy. Trying to give as many details as i can, bc im sure im not the only one who this issue drives crazy.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
02whtmax
Freshman User
Another update, still trying to figure this problem out. I found this test in a service manual and performed the DP1 step to find that the -vss pcm pin #33 to the -vss sensor harness to be less then the 5 ohms. On the +vss pcm pin #58 to the +vss sensor harness to be well above 5 ohms indicating something wrong with that circuit. I checked and could not find the so called open circuit. Am i missing something? Im guessing that the dealer is my last option, just hope they dont break it off in me to badly.

Here is the testing procedure i used.

DP1 DTC P0500/P0501/P1502: CHECK VSS CIRCUITS FOR OPEN IN HARNESS (VRS TYPE)
Note: Refer to the PCM connector pin numbers in the beginning of this pinpoint test.
Disconnect PCM.
Disconnect VSS.
Measure resistance of VSS+ circuit between PCM harness connector pin and VSS+ sensor harness connector.
Measure resistance of VSS- circuit between PCM harness connector pin and VSS- sensor harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DP2 . REPAIR open circuit. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles).
DP2 CHECK VSS CIRCUITS FOR SHORT TO GROUND AND POWER IN HARNESS
Measure resistance between VSS+ and PWR GND circuits at PCM harness connector.
Measure resistance between VSS+ and VSS- circuits at PCM harness connector.
Measure resistance between VSS+ and VPWR circuits at PCM harness connector.
Is each resistance greater than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DP3 . GO to DP12 .
DP3 CHECK VSS RESISTANCE
Measure VSS resistance.
Is resistance between 170 and 270 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE the PCM (refer to Section 2 , Flash EEPROM). COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). REPLACE the VSS. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles).
DP5 DTC P0500/P0501/P1502: CHECK VSS SIGNAL OUTPUT TO (PCM) POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (HALL TYPE)
Disconnect PCM.
Raise the vehicle to allow rotation of the front drive wheel.
Key on, transmission in NEUTRAL.
Note: The opposite wheel must be held stationary.
Measure voltage between VSS+ and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector, while slowly rotating the drive wheel.
The voltage should rise above 5.0 volts and fall below 1.0 volt in a regular cycle. Observe several cycles.
Key off.
Does the VSS output voltage rise and fall as specified while slowly rotating the drive wheel?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2 , Flash EEPROM). COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). GO to DP6 .
DP6 CHECK VOLTAGE BETWEEN VPWR AND PWR GND CIRCUITS AT VSS
Disconnect VSS.
Key on.
Measure voltage between VPWR and PWR GND circuits at the VSS harness connector.
Is the voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No
GO to DP7 . KEY OFF. GO to DP10 .
DP7 CHECK VSS CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO POWER IN HARNESS
Key on.
Measure voltage between VSS+ and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Key off.
Is voltage less than 1.0 volt?
Yes No
GO to DP8 . GO to DP12 .
DP8 CHECK VSS CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN HARNESS
Measure resistance between VSS+ and PWR GND circuits at the PCM harness connector.
Is resistance greater than 3,000 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DP9 . GO to DP12 .
DP9 CHECK VSS SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS
Measure resistance of VSS+ signal circuit between PCM harness connector pin and VSS+ sensor harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE VSS. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). REPAIR open circuit. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles).
DP10 CHECK VSS GROUND CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS
Measure resistance of PWR GND circuit between VSS harness connector and chassis ground.
Is resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
REPAIR open VPWR to VSS. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). REPAIR open VSS PWR GND circuit. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles).
DP12 VERIFY IF VSS CIRCUIT IS SHORTED IN HARNESS OR ANOTHER MODULE
Determine which, if any, modules are connected to the VSS circuit (Refer to Wiring Diagrams Manual). If no other modules are connected to the VSS circuit, GO to the "YES" Action To Take.
One at a time, disconnect the modules associated with the VSS circuit. After disconnecting each module, again test for short circuit (Refer to test step that sent you here). Repeat until each associated module has been disconnected or the short circuit has been eliminated.
Does the short circuit remain after all associated modules were disconnected?
Yes No
REPAIR short circuit. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). REFER to the Workshop Manual for further diagnosis of appropriate module.
DP15 KOER DTC P1501: CHECK PCM VSS PID FOR INPUT SIGNAL
Start the engine and idle in NEUTRAL.
Access the VSS PID with a scan tool and observe for vehicle speed input to the PCM.
Increase the engine speed, not greater than 2000 rpm, several times while observing the VSS PID.
Is the reading on the VSS PID less than 5 km/h (3 mph)?
Yes No
Unable to duplicate or identify fault at this time. If DTC P1501 still exists. GO to Z1 . (REFER to Section 4 , Diagnostic Trouble Code [DTC] Descriptions for a list of possible causes.) GO to DP22 .
DP20 DTC P0503: INSPECT VSS AND CIRCUIT FOR AN INTERMITTENT
Check for harness intermittents by verifying that Pins are properly seated in connector shell, wiring is properly crimped, no corrosion exists in the harness and sensor is securely mounted.
Are there any indications of harness intermittents?
Yes No
REPAIR as necessary. COMPLETE an OBDII Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). GO to DP21 .
DP21 CHECK PCM VSS PID FOR INPUT SIGNAL
Access the VSS PID with a scan tool.
Drive the vehicle at several steady state speeds above and below 50 km/h (30 mph).
Note: For Scan Tools which have Data Record feature, record data for playback to help identify variations.
During each steady state speed observe the VSS PID for variations of (+) or (-) 8 km/h (5 mph) for greater than 10 seconds.
Is there any indications of a noisy or intermittent signal with the VSS PID?
Yes No
GO to DP22 . Unable to duplicate or identify fault at this time. REPAIR any other DTCs.
DP22 CHECK VSS HARNESS ROUTING
Check VSS harness routing:
Verify that the harness is not routed adjacent to high current wires such as ignition wires or generator wiring.
Verify VSS harness is shielded and grounded, if applicable.
Check resistance of the VSS harness; refer to Pinpoint Test Schematic and Connectors at beginning of pinpoint test.
Are any concerns evident?
Yes No
REPAIR as necessary. COMPLETE an OBDII Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). Unable to duplicate or identify a fault at this time. GO to Z1 . (REFER to Section 4 , Diagnostic Trouble Code [DTC] Descriptions for a list of possible causes.)
DP25 DTC P1500: VISUAL INSPECTION
Visually inspect the VSS and VSS harness circuits for any potential failures. Use the following check list for reference:
Loose VSS connector.
Pushed out VSS connector pins.
Damaged VSS wiring harness insulation.
Incorrect harness routing.
Incorrect VSS mounting.
Did the visual inspection reveal a potential failure?
Yes No
REPAIR fault as necessary. COMPLETE an OBD II Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2 , Drive Cycles). RESTORE vehicle. Unable to duplicate or identify fault at this time. GO to Z1 . (REFER to Section 4 , Diagnostic Trouble Code [DTC) Descriptions for a list of possible causes.)
DP30 DTC P0500, P1502 VISUAL INSPECTION
Note: The transfer case speed sensor (TCSS) provides rotational speed of output shaft of the transfer case. The PCM use this information to control powertrain behavior and on some applications is used as the source of vehicle speed information.
Disconnect TCSS sensor.
Inspect TCSS vehicle harness connector for damage and proper seating.
Have any problems been found?
Yes No
REPAIR as necessary. GO to DP31 .
DP31 CHECK RESISTANCE OF TCSS SENSOR
Measure resistance between TCSS signal and TCSS SIGTRN circuits at the TCSS sensor.
Is resistance between 1,000 and 1,250 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DP32 . REPLACE TCSS sensor.
DP32 TCSS OUTPUT CHECK
Measure frequency between TCSS signal and TCSS SIGRTN circuits at the TCSS sensor.
Drive vehicle between 0 and 48 km/h (0 and 30 mph).
Refer to Section 6 , Reference Values for frequency ranges.
Does frequency reading increase and decrease with vehicle speed?
Yes No
GO to DP33 . REMOVE the TCSS and inspect target wheel. REPAIR as necessary. IF OK REPLACE TCSS.
DP33 CHECK HARNESS FOR SHORT TO PWR
Key on.
TCSS sensor disconnected.
Measure voltage between the TCSS signal circuit at the TCSS harness connector and ground.
If voltage less than 1.0 volt?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to DP34 . REPAIR short circuit.
DP34 CHECK HARNESS FOR OPEN
Disconnect PCM.
Measure resistance of TCSS signal circuit between PCM harness connector pin and TCSS sensor harness connector.
Measure resistance of TCSS SIGRTN circuit between PCM harness connector pin and TCSS sensor harness connector.
Is each resistance less than 5.0 ohms?
Yes No
GO to DP35 . REPAIR open circuit.
DP35 CHECK HARNESS FOR SHORT TO GROUND
Measure resistance between TCSS signal and SIGRTN circuits at the TCSS harness connector.
Measure resistance between TCSS signal and GND circuits at the TCSS harness connector.
Is each resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
REPLACE PCM (refer to Section 2 , Flash EEPROM). REPAIR short circuit.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
02whtmax
Freshman User
Dropped truck off at dealer and they still have not figured out what the deal is. I was thinking today, that when i tested the resistance of VSS+ circuit between PCM harness connector pin and VSS+ sensor harness connector, since i came up with more then 5.0 ohms i checked that whole circuit for continuity and there was no issue. This circuit (grey/blk tracer) runs from the pcm to the abs control module by the driver headlight. This grey/blk wire terminates there, and i noticed that the high (pink/red tracer) and low (green/blk tracer) for the vss come out of the abs module and run to the harness where i am testing the resistance in the DP1 step. If i unplug the harness at the abs module then i get no reading at the pcm pin and the vss harness from my meter. Plug back in and then my reading comes back indicating an open circuit.
(Long i know, but trying my best to explain whats going on)
So my question is, could my abs module be messed up and causing all these problems? My truck has rear abs only, and there is no abs light on inside the cab. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:45 AM
02whtmax
Freshman User
Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Vader0121
Senior User
I'd like to have an update, any fix?

Anyonre have input?