1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HIPCHECK, it may be a bad bag or it could be bad O-ring. Since you don't have your year listed, I got my conversion made by Monroe. Check their site to see what options they offer for your year.

For my 98, it was a matter of removing the rear airbags and putting the springs in place, changing the rear shocks, and changing the front shocks with the ones they sent in the kit. I think I got my kit for around $240.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
HIPCHECK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Oldtrucknut. Its a 2004 EB. When you say o-ring do you mean there is one attached to the bag somewhere?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
PaulTaylor
New User
Originally Posted by HIPCHECK
I have a leak in my right rear air suspension system. It's not from a line or the solenoid so I'm guessing its in the bag itself. The truck will sit for hours with a full bag of air as long as I don't drive it. Also, if I were to walk up to the side of it and rock it back and forth it will cause the air to release from the bag.

In addition to replacement parts being expensive I'm considering converting because I just can't seem to find many options to replace the struts inside my air bags. Is it safe to say that a complete coil strut assembly for a conventional suspension will not work as a replacement for an Expy with an air ride suspension? If so, why? Does it not bolt up the same? Can a modification be made to allow it to work? There doesn't seem to me much talk about this and maybe that's because most people on here know the answer already. Any help with the mysterious air leak or replacement question would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.
Spray a mixture of half dish soap half water on the bags and look for bubbles.

There is a company called arnott right up the road from me that makes replacement air suspension products for ford trucks and a bunch of other vehicles. They also make coil conversion kits for the Expedition and Navigator.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:23 AM
HIPCHECK
New User
Thanks Paul. I soaked the entire bag and the airlines around it and see no leaks. This is quite annoying. I replaced the solenoid thinking that might be the issue but it's not. I'm done guessing. Time to convert.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Thanks Paul. I soaked the entire bag and the airlines around it and see no leaks. This is quite annoying. I replaced the solenoid thinking that might be the issue but it's not. I'm done guessing. Time to convert.
I feel your pain this is one of the many stories I heard while I was deciding on converting over. Luckly for me the only issue I had was my regulator that controls the compressor went out and my back end dropped, went to salvage yard and the guy gave the part to me for free . After that I decided it was time to convert over to avoid the head aches and the cost that come with it.

Also Hipcheck, you do not have to convert the whole truck at once, you can do just the back half and then later do the fronts.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM
HIPCHECK
New User
Thank you Only1. If I decide to get rid of the air suspension, is my only option one of the conversion kits I see online or can I get a complete coil over strut assembly from my local parts store and install it? I think this question has been asked but nobody has answered it.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Thank you Only1. If I decide to get rid of the air suspension, is my only option one of the conversion kits I see online or can I get a complete coil over strut assembly from my local parts store and install it? I think this question has been asked but nobody has answered it.
I dont know, I guess you can speak with the folks at your local store. i was new to KY plus i heard alot about strut master, good stuff LOL.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 AM
HIPCHECK
New User
Originally Posted by Only1Hannibal
I dont know, I guess you can speak with the folks at your local store. i was new to KY plus i heard alot about strut master, good stuff LOL.
I had 2 strut assemblies overnighted from Rock Auto. I'll let you know if they bolt up ok.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Thanks for the reply Oldtrucknut. Its a 2004 EB. When you say o-ring do you mean there is one attached to the bag somewhere?
Yes. Its on the top where the airline connects in.

Good luck with the conversion.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:21 PM
HIPCHECK
New User
Monroe complete strut assembly from Rock Auto bolted right up. Had both rears replaced in about an hour. Now to get the check suspension message to go away is my next challenge while I'm waiting to do the fronts.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Oldtrucknut7077
Post Fiend
Check and see if there is a shut-off switch (generally located around the passenger side kick panel), switch it off and look for a fuse to disconnect it.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:25 AM
Only1Hannibal
Freshman User
Monroe complete strut assembly from Rock Auto bolted right up. Had both rears replaced in about an hour. Now to get the check suspension message to go away is my next challenge while I'm waiting to do the fronts.
Hey, Hip contact the folks you brought the kit from and ask if the kit comes with the instructions on how to turn the light off. My kit came with the instructions and I was able to give the guys that installed my kit the information.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 AM
aristocraft
Senior User
Do you remember the process To turn the light off? I have an 04 navi and when something else goes bad I think I will do the conversion. I just don't want to have to see the light all the time. Thanks

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM
TallTexan
Cross-Country
I changed out a 2001 Navigator.

I am now going back with the air. Seems as if my E250 rides smoother then my Navigator.

I do know that the ride is CR*P compared to what it was

Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM
ljstreng
New User
Hi- I have a 2004 Expedition XLT. I had a diagnostic run by the dealer to figure out the cause of the right front sagging in the suspension (my local auto shop couldn't find the specific cause). The dealer said that the "right front height sensor is binding." For a mere $550 they'd be happy to replace it and retest the system. I'm thinking eventual conversion but right now, is it feasible to find that part and have it installed? I have found parts at a local junkyard and they'll pull the part (assuming they had one), but am concerned that the "height sensor" isn't just one compact piece and something would be missed when pulled from an Expedition in the junk yard. Suggestions anyone?
Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell your Air Suspension conversion story here please.